PDA

View Full Version : What was the best thing you learned on this board?

KANZA
08-30-2008, 11:46 AM
What was the best thing you learned on this board?

Sometimes someone posts something you just find invaluable, or it confirms something you always wondered about.

For me it was a tennis tip from a discussion a few years ago: "How important is not playing". I found that a week or two off every once in a while was a good thing and my performance was actually better when I returned to court.

Any others?

malakas
08-30-2008, 11:47 AM
After browsing for years the Rants and Raves forums,I learned how to have a calm,civilised and rational discussion with my fellow posters.

malakas
08-30-2008, 11:53 AM
Oh I also learned that proper spelling is more important than having arguments.

AznRamenDude
08-30-2008, 12:35 PM
lol, well said Malakas.

To me, there are a lot of useful tips for improving my game and racquets.

Fee
08-30-2008, 12:42 PM
I learned that anyone not ranked number one at this very moment in the ATP should retire.

drakulie
08-30-2008, 12:46 PM
I learned that If I am playing someone a lot better than me>> I will lose if I am using a mid.

I also learned I should have my string tension checked by a teaching pro. :)

35ft6
08-30-2008, 01:05 PM
This isn't necessarily meant to be an insult, but from these boards, I can see how there are so many problems in our country. There are some really wack ideas being argued on these boards and they come from people who are otherwise perfectly cool. You think of racists or creationists or hyper capitalist, and you imagine almost movie-like stereotypes, complete villains, these issues just completely defining and driving them, but this board shows in real life that social ills don't really derive from villains who completely devote their lives to perpetuating these ills but by nice people just trying to get by who are simply misinformed or willfully ambivalent. As individuals, their opinions don't matter for a thing, but combined, their aggregate worldview is pretty powerful, if not for change, it's pretty effective as inertia. And this is a tennis message board so you'd think it would generally be better educated and less backwards than general population. I seriously wonder what kind of crazy talk goes down at a Nascar website.

Also, it's galvanized belief that you have to become really good at tennis to realize how bad you suck at it. The delusional thinking here is very strong.

dave333
08-30-2008, 01:21 PM
Probably that most people's claims on their NTRP's are a completely inflated lie.

And there really are truly idiots, and one needs only look at the Rants and Raves column to see it.

Phil
08-30-2008, 01:42 PM
Also, it's galvanized belief that you have to become really good at tennis to realize how bad you suck at it. The delusional thinking here is very strong.
Actually, not even "very good". Becoming "average" was enough to convince me that I sucked and should just sit back and enjoy the game, rather than beat myself up after every match because my backhand or second serve wasn't "on" that day.

ChuDat
08-30-2008, 01:44 PM
the best thing I learned was the existence of this thread

Steady Eddy
08-30-2008, 02:41 PM
That when people lose to pushers they think that's the pusher's fault.

0range
08-30-2008, 02:50 PM
For me it was a tennis tip from a discussion a few years ago: "How important is not playing". I found that a week or two off every once in a while was a good thing and my performance was actually better when I returned to court.

I agree with that! I used to be too weak to hit 1hbh volley, but after a month off (I was on vacation oversea), my forearm got stronger and I am starting to many hit 1hbh volley winners!

It is so true that muscles only grow during rest.

Vincescourt
08-30-2008, 04:47 PM
I learned that If I am playing someone a lot better than me>> I will lose if I am using a mid.

I also learned I should have my string tension checked by a teaching pro. :)

You forgot to add that every time you lose it is only because you are tired from playing too much tennis, not because you got outplayed.

AM28143
08-30-2008, 05:08 PM
This isn't necessarily meant to be an insult, but from these boards, I can see how there are so many problems in our country. There are some really wack ideas being argued on these boards and they come from people who are otherwise perfectly cool. You think of racists or creationists or hyper capitalist, and you imagine almost movie-like stereotypes, complete villains, these issues just completely defining and driving them, but this board shows in real life that social ills don't really derive from villains who completely devote their lives to perpetuating these ills but by nice people just trying to get by who are simply misinformed or willfully ambivalent. As individuals, their opinions don't matter for a thing, but combined, their aggregate worldview is pretty powerful, if not for change, it's pretty effective as inertia. And this is a tennis message board so you'd think it would generally be better educated and less backwards than general population. I seriously wonder what kind of crazy talk goes down at a Nascar website.

Nice post. Who did you have in mind?

-Adam :)

You don't have to answer.

Tempest344
08-30-2008, 06:48 PM
that the search function is helpful

that Federer needs to switch to a 2 handed forehand
and that the 1 handed backhand is dying out :wink:

CanadianChic
08-30-2008, 09:07 PM
From this board? To not take anything seriously, literally or personally. ;)

HappyAndFriendlyAlways
08-30-2008, 10:17 PM
What was the best thing you learned on this board?

Sometimes someone posts something you just find invaluable, or it confirms something you always wondered about.

Any others?

the more time you spend here, the more you waste of your life

certifiedjatt
08-31-2008, 06:24 AM
when i signed on, i was naive. i expected people here to be knowledgeable and well read on the subject of tennis. so i expected some science behind age old claims. but all i've read so far, with literally 4 or 5 exceptions, are just a continuation of these tennis myths. two really important and expensive myths include impact of string tension on power/control (very minimal), and impact of string material on spin (almost negligible).

i learned that experts on here are just like the people i overhear on the next court, talking about how "...i moved from 56lb to 54lb, and man, it makes such a huge difference on my volleys." or "... i wanna add some more topspin to my game-what racket should I get?" what's sad is that there are really young kids on here who are just getting into tennis. they'll waste soo much money on dampeners, strings, string jobs, rackets to get it just right. i wish they would just pick up a good book on tennis, written by educated people and not players.

i also learned that if i want to get over my racket buying addiction--of buying the same racket---, this is the wrong place to come for council.

Loco4Tennis
08-31-2008, 06:45 AM
i learned a lot of the finer points of stringing, and the reasons behind them
i also got that there are lots of people with the same questions i have when it comes to this sport; anything from health, equipment and proper tennis etiquette

therogerfan
08-31-2008, 07:14 AM
If I were to make a list of all these things, it would probably be longer than the distance between Earth and the Sun (that's 150 000 000 km BTW):)

lovecr717
08-31-2008, 07:41 AM
Some tennis tips i guess.

PROTENNIS63
08-31-2008, 07:56 AM
over half of the board members talk without thinking (especially General Pro Player forum).

Moz
08-31-2008, 08:20 AM
The best thing I learnt (if this forum is representative of the wider tennis community) is that 90% of tennis players are so busy obsessing over professionals or the minutae of their equipment set-up that they are almost certainly not spending time on the things that matter.

ElectricTennis
08-31-2008, 08:40 AM
@ Moz. Much agreed. I think people mainly buy a racquet over what pro's use it. Or at least 50% does. (In my age group, that is) I personally am stuck between a Dunlop m-fill 300, a Head LM Radical, and my normal racquet. (I have tested my own and the dunlop) I have no idea what pro's use those, so yeah.

Errr... Say even one incorrect statement or fact and your labeled dumb, flamed, and told you don't know anything?
It has never happen to me, but I see it happen to others. Some people here are real bitter, and believe to be supreme. Oh well, life is full of people like that.

I also learned some good stuff. And had plenty of laughs looking in the Junior forum and seeing people saying their serve is 155 mph when they are like 13-15.

shavenyak
08-31-2008, 08:53 AM
99% of the posters here just regurgitate something someone else said somewhere before. Biggest case of groupthink I've ever run into.

ElectricTennis
08-31-2008, 02:46 PM
99% of the posters here just regurgitate something someone else said somewhere before. Biggest case of groupthink I've ever run into.

Is that pointed towards me, just wondering.

bad_call
08-31-2008, 04:52 PM
i learned that i play better than almost all posters on this board..hahaha...j/k :)

actually i learned quite a bit about racquets and strings from those kind posters willing to share their experience. thanks to all. btw - had a good day today serving...almost regaining the form from my younger days. :)

SoBad
09-01-2008, 07:27 PM
I learned a lot from this board about stuff like life love hate friendship socks wristbands and hoodies. And just helped me understand better how the world is set up too...

357sig
09-01-2008, 08:14 PM
I was dead set against the use of pollys, I used one about 6 years ago in my 85 and had a sore wrist the next day, bit with the advent of sew softer pollys, I was convinced to try them again and what an amazing string !

Andres
09-01-2008, 08:19 PM
I learned I actually suck at tennis :)

Mansewerz
09-01-2008, 08:37 PM
Stats tell everything.

The world is out to get Nadal.

The world is out to get Federer.

The world is against [insert name here].

Press conferences tell exactly who you are.

Personality is discouraged in tennis.

Always root for the flavor of the week.

one match determines your future.

A player is one dimensional because they have a good weapon.

Graphite is the devil and only wood tennis is good enough.

Expect sarcasm at all times (this is the only serious one btw)

shavenyak
09-01-2008, 09:11 PM
Is that pointed towards me, just wondering.

No, not at all. Just a general observation.

heycal
09-01-2008, 10:16 PM

Yup. This board gives me more direct insight into the disturbing and nutty thinking of many Americans in a week than I could get in two years in my real life moving among the well educated members of the elite that populate my orbit in the sophisticated metropolitan area I live in.

kairosntx
09-01-2008, 10:26 PM
That one bad apple can spoil the whole bushel.

Andres
09-02-2008, 04:33 AM
I learned that almost 100% of the posters regurgitate something someone else said somewhere before.

jmverdugo
09-02-2008, 05:51 AM
I learned that almost 100% of the posters regurgitate something someone else said somewhere before.

... and they do it as if they were saying a fact...

Honestly is not all bad, if one can selectively read you can learn a lot of stuff from this boards.

About tennis: gear is important only if you go out and use it, egos are biggers than the desire of tennis improvement.

In general: kids will always be kids, patience and humor are the key to not get banned, in the end this is just an internet forum to take a break of emails, clients, bosses, etc...

I also learned that the word is "regardless", but you can say "irregardless" as a joke...

Oh, and i have not learnd the difference between lose, loose, loser and lost :)

ElectricTennis
09-03-2008, 04:57 PM
No, not at all. Just a general observation.
Oh it was right after what I said so I was confused. Though I totally agree with you.

Oui, c'est moi.
09-03-2008, 05:00 PM
Tan lines are cool. But only 'sexy' if it's Kirilenko.