PDA

View Full Version : Wrist bursa slip?

undefined117
08-30-2008, 04:23 PM
I'm a rising sophomore in high school. I've been enjoying tennis since the beginning of my freshman year.

My wrist started hurting since around a week ago. I've located the site of pain to be the joint between the triquetrum and the hamate (see here (http://classes.kumc.edu/sah/resources/handkines/bone/wrist.html) for the bone locations). It doesn't hurt when my wrist is straightened out, but if I bend it outwards - for example, putting my hands on my hips, or when it bends naturally on the forehand or the serve - it sends a jolt of pain up my arm.

Strangely enough, I can feel something slide in and out of the joint, and the pain only occurs when it's slided out. Last night, I borrowed my sister's hair tie :rolleyes: to keep it inside the joint, and so far it hasn't hurt again; whatever it is must be staying inside for now.

Does anyone have a guess as to what this might be? I've had tendinitis before, but the sac on top of my wrist has long since dried out (after six times of manually bursting). I've googled bursitis, but nothing specifically address the problem between the two bones mentioned above.

fyi, I use the Wilson KBlade 98. Thanks for any tips you can give. :)

tennisxlsdk
08-30-2008, 07:22 PM
If you could go to a hand doctor and get an x-ray as well as an MRI I would do so immediately. I was recently diagnosed with a bone bruise on my hamate hook. I play a lot of basball and football in addition to tennis and the injury wasn't a traumatic one, and I kept playing for a long time as I thought it was nothing and just some soreness. Finally pain got worse in the areas you mentioned, went to a doc and haven't played for 8 weeks, but getting stregth and mobility back now. I had to wear a splint initially.

Not saying you may the same issues but stop playing and see a doc, best advice I can give. Best of luck!!

scotus
08-30-2008, 10:56 PM
Go see a doctor.

I have a suspicion that it might be an extensor carpi ulnaris subluxation.

Read the following and see if it describes your condition.
http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/handwristsurgery/g/ecutendon.htm

undefined117
08-30-2008, 11:45 PM
In Japan, the courts are covered with sand (to make line calls easier?), and I slipped/fell a few weeks ago. I didn't fall too hard, but I did put almost all of my weight on my right hand as I was trying to protect my racquet in my left hand. Would that be enough to fracture the hamate?

@scotus: Thanks for that link, but I don't think it's the ECU.. I can't hear nor feel anything snapping, and I'm pretty sure whatever it is runs perpendicular to my arm, not parallel to it. (of course, that's speculation based on what I can feel with my fingers.)

It does feel like the cartilage itself is sliding in and out of the joints. Because of the hair tie I mentioned above :mrgreen: it still hasn't hurt so far today, but there is a slight tingling feeling in my pinky/ring fingers.. a nerve pinch?

I don't know any doctors here, so it'll be some time before I find a reliable one to go to.. so meanwhile, I'm trying to self-diagnose. Thanks for your help so far. :)

undefined117
08-30-2008, 11:50 PM
wait a minute.. is the bone that sticks out the outside top of the wrist the ulna (I thought it was the pisiform)? If so, never mind the hamate; the painful joint is between the ulna and the triquetrum

undefined117
08-31-2008, 01:17 AM
ah a little more research about that joint led me to this topic (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=91212)

It's the TFCC (triangular fibrocartilage complex) (http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/handwristsurgery/g/tfcc.htm). The symptoms are exactly like those described in the URL. ergh. It's not as bad as the poster in that topic describes his/her case, so I'll just keep playing, but I'll have to stop putting so much topspin..

Come to think of it, my coach did tell me last week to stop doing the windshield wiper motion. I'll definitely take his advice now. :rolleyes:

But does anyone know if certain service motions also aggravate this problem?