PDA

View Full Version : Playing tennis with No-Show socks (Should I do this?)

S H O W S T O P P E R !
08-30-2008, 05:44 PM
My friend and I were playing and my buddy uses no show socks (it just covers the foot) which he said were padded at the toes, heel, etc. But during the game, his ankle got hurt. He's never been injured and he's a pretty tough kid. I also wear the same kind of socks, should I switch to quarter length? What do you guys wear?

Rickson
08-30-2008, 05:55 PM
You're not gonna get ankle protection from longer socks. Wear basketball sneakers if you want to protect your ankles, but you can wear booty socks all you want.

S H O W S T O P P E R !
08-30-2008, 05:57 PM
You're not gonna get ankle protection from longer socks. Wear basketball sneakers if you want to protect your ankles, but you can wear booty socks all you want.

So no-shows are fine?

Rickson
08-30-2008, 06:15 PM
Booty socks do no more harm to your ankles than long socks.

WildVolley
08-30-2008, 06:53 PM
For most people, this is an issue of style. I've been wearing pretty low socks recently. It means I get more of an even tan on my legs, but my feet and ankles are still very white.

Some people think short socks look feminine, but then I have pretty good looking muscular legs, so I don't worry about that.

maverick66
08-30-2008, 07:49 PM
My friend and I were playing and my buddy uses no show socks (it just covers the foot) which he said were padded at the toes, heel, etc. But during the game, his ankle got hurt. He's never been injured and he's a pretty tough kid. I also wear the same kind of socks, should I switch to quarter length? What do you guys wear?

shoe determines support not sock. sock is a small layer of material not gonna do much for in terms of ankle support. i never wore big socks and my ankles have been ok cause i wear higher tennis shoes.

Max Winther
08-31-2008, 06:52 PM
I use ankle socks cause the balls of my ankles stick out and I can cut them up pretty bad through the course of a match. Plus, you get a cool tan line. But they don't really do anything for stability or anything. It's just a skin covering.

Ronaldo
08-31-2008, 07:02 PM
To heck with socks, http://www.snugasabug.com/blocks/images/Pajamas/thumbs_large/both_adult_redpolar_footed.jpg?snugg_sess=61af71c1 cd7f3e70b9c75fbbae0efa26

albino smurf
09-01-2008, 10:18 AM
Socks do nothing for ankles. Rock the short socks.

Tofuspeedstar
09-02-2008, 11:51 AM
I wear no show socks.

Klatu Verata Necktie
09-02-2008, 12:01 PM
Wear whatever you want on hard courts, but wear longer crew socks on clay so that clay doesn't get into them.

Serve em Up
09-05-2008, 10:41 AM
Wear whatever you want on hard courts, but wear longer crew socks on clay so that clay doesn't get into them.

What he says!

The grit hurts if it gets between your foot and the sock.

Gob_
09-06-2008, 07:23 AM
I like to wear high socks the most, but I wear shorts with flip-flops alot when I'm not playing and the tan line would look ridiculous, so, during the summer anyway, I wear no-shows. I don't really worry about the feminine thing considering I have the hairiest legs in the world. The only thing to worry about would maybe be if the shoe rubs the back of your ankle and irritates it.

morten
09-06-2008, 08:18 AM
no show socks look so gay, hate it.. not that there is something wrong being gay...;)

Phil
09-06-2008, 05:09 PM
So no-shows are fine?
Not if you're a male.

ATIRagePro
09-12-2008, 12:10 PM
I use no-shows just because I do not like sock tans. I tan very easily and it just looks disgusting haha.

Ska4lyfe
09-14-2008, 05:56 PM
Not if you're a male.

Haha.

I used to wear short socks when I was a bit younger, but now I only play and compete in crew socks.

Ronaldo
09-14-2008, 06:45 PM
No-Show socks are so 90s that anyone who remembers the Fab Five will recall the horror of wearing crew socks. Only John Stockton would commit that crime.

samster
09-14-2008, 06:58 PM
sure, why not.

topsltennis
09-15-2008, 08:20 AM
If the question is do longer socks help prevent ankle injuries, well no- wear whatever you want.

njohnson
09-15-2008, 09:10 AM
No show is great. I don't see any advantage to the taller ones other than on clay as mentioned previously.

If I ever wear taller ones again I'm going to bring back the thick colored stripes from the 1980s.

dandz
09-16-2008, 10:47 PM
I still beleive that it is just a guise, and that Mardy fish actually wears NO SOCKS, a secret advantage that has helped to elevate his game so dramatically to make him a major player in the game today. I play hockey that way, and can notice a definite increase in quickness.
I don't beleive Mardy Fish is gay, and I can't imagine anyone else concerned about 'tan lines'.

heycal
09-16-2008, 11:22 PM
no show socks look so gay, hate it..

No-Show socks are so 90s

Apparently not. I have a 12 year old daughter and until recently, had a rather young girlfriend, both of whom certainly know more about what's fashionable today than us guys, and both of them insist that guys must wear no-show or virtual no-show socks unless they want to look like a TOTAL GEEK. (Other women I know share this view.)

Long socks seem to be a major no-no these days for casual wear. I imagine one can more easily get away with wearing longer socks on the tennis court though.

Here's a rule of thumb, boys: When it comes to what to wear, listen to the females in your life. (That is, unless your more interested in what anonymous men on an internet forum think of what you're wearing...)

Ronaldo
09-17-2008, 06:11 AM
Apparently not. I have a 12 year old daughter and until recently, had a rather young girlfriend, both of whom certainly know more about what's fashionable today than us guys, and both of them insist that guys must wear no-show or virtual no-show socks unless they want to look like a TOTAL GEEK. (Other women I know share this view.)

Long socks seem to be a major no-no these days for casual wear. I imagine one can more easily get away with wearing longer socks on the tennis court though.

Here's a rule of thumb, boys: When it comes to what to wear, listen to the females in your life. (That is, unless your more interested in what anonymous men on an internet forum think of what you're wearing...)

Next the ladies will have us in diapers, http://mindofwinter.prettyposies.com/archives/images/footies.jpg

heycal
09-17-2008, 08:50 AM
Next the ladies will have us in diapers, http://mindofwinter.prettyposies.com/archives/images/footies.jpg

I tried to access your link but I was FORBIDDEN.

If the ladies want us to wear diapers next, what can we do? Diapers it will be.

N23
09-18-2008, 10:46 AM
I use no-shows just because I do not like sock tans. I tan very easily and it just looks disgusting haha.

+1. I tan way too easy. Must be the Filipino blood.

ttbrowne
09-20-2008, 08:24 AM
I wear both. I haven't been wearing my black no-shows 'cept in the winter, But recently I saw a couple of South American guys wearing their black-no shows...so I said heck with it and started wearing black.

lawlitssoo1n
09-20-2008, 09:50 AM
Its more like a special type of sock(note: they have ones for cycling)
but i think more of them come in ankle only