PDA

View Full Version : How hard is it to replace a car battery?

0range
08-30-2008, 10:09 PM
I think my car battery's dying.

Is it very difficult to replace the battery myself? I'm not asking for instructions here... I can search for that later. But first I need to know if it's gonna be dangerous/time consuming for someone with relative low automobile knowledge.

I changed a tire once, and I know where to pour liquid for windshield and where to connect jumper cable clamps.

HappyAndFriendlyAlways
08-30-2008, 10:16 PM
changing a battery is the easiest thing you can do. there are a few national auto parts stores that will do it for you.

just loosen , lift, replace, tighten

bring the old battery where you buy the new one as they will dispose of it safely, and give you a discount

0range
08-30-2008, 10:21 PM
Thanks, that sounds simple!

Shangri La
08-30-2008, 10:36 PM
It's like replacing an overgrip, in tennis analogy! ^_^

CanadianChic
08-30-2008, 10:55 PM
Although I have never personally changed a battery, I had mine changed a couple weeks ago in my car and it took less than five minutes.

max
08-31-2008, 12:20 AM
You would be surprised at how easy it is to do most general car maintenance procedures. Buy a Chilton's manual for your car model. The nice thing is, it keeps you in touch with how your car is doing, thus preventing bigger problems.

LuckyR
08-31-2008, 04:33 PM
It is completely easy. However you may have quite a bit of corrosion of the hardware that holds the battery on, be prepared to deal with it and even replace it.

RanchDressing
09-03-2008, 02:35 PM
its very easy.
but it is very possible that it actually isnt your battery.
How old is your battery?

ttbrowne
09-04-2008, 08:36 AM
Make sure the key is NOT in the ignition!

You'll need a ratchet and sockets (usually just two sizes), battery connector cleaner (optional).

At the bottom of the battery is usually a clamp that you'll have to take off or loosen to get the battery out. Loosen the nut. Careful not to lose it.

Then loosen the Positive & Negative battery connectors from the battery.

DO NOT make any connection between two battery terminals with anything!

DO NOT let the connectors touch!

This should free the battery so you can lift it out. Some batteries have a removable plastic cover. You may have one of these on the battery in your vehicle. You can put it back on the new battery. *I did not do this. It makes checking the battery easier.

Before you put in the new battery, Check the INSIDE of your cable connectors. They may need cleaning or scraping.
You need to do this anyway.
You can use a pocketknife or just buy a battery connector cleaner for a few bucks.

Put in the new battery and put the connectors back on. Before you clamp the battery back in place, you can start the vehicle to see if you've done it right.

If so, put the battery clamp back on and your set.

Be sure to take your old battery back in to get a recycle refund.

ttbrowne
09-04-2008, 08:38 AM
Funny but I had to do this Friday nite after a tennis party.

Hope the above helped?

sakisst
09-04-2008, 10:28 AM
Yeah, its easy to replace the battery, but make sure that the battery is the problem. At places like kragen and Pep Boys they can check if the battery needs replacement.

Tofuspeedstar
09-04-2008, 11:41 AM
It's the easiest thing next to changing oil and checking tire pressure.

CHOcobo
09-04-2008, 08:28 PM
make sure you take out the negative (black) first when removing. when you put the battery back in, connect the positive (red) in first. do it carefully. very easy task but dangerous at the same time.

spkyEngrish
09-04-2008, 11:51 PM
make sure you take out the negative (black) first when removing. when you put the battery back in, connect the positive (red) in first. do it carefully. very easy task but dangerous at the same time.

Agreed. Simple task, but with some potential for burns. Also, not assuming you're a weakling or anything, but a car battery is upwards of 30lbs so be careful when lifting/moving.

Now be a manly man and go work on your car... aaargh!:)