PDA

View Full Version : Back stretches?

hamzeh
08-31-2008, 08:27 PM
Anyone know any good back stretches. Particularly one's that will improve my serve by getting more arch?

SystemicAnomaly
09-19-2008, 03:56 AM
You really should not be arching your back very much at all to serve. Bend your knees and get your heels off the ground in order to lay back on the serve without arching your back.

http://www.borisbecker.com/typo3temp/pics/eb08ad5b64.jpg

ultima972
09-19-2008, 05:49 PM
How about actually arching your back? You can also try bridging if you're very flexible and not overweight.

lawlitssoo1n
09-20-2008, 09:53 AM
I just touch my toes, a regular stretch, do it for 30 sec mini. i get a good lower back stretch. it helped a lot for my 5 deg scoliosis

tennisdad65
09-24-2008, 10:48 AM
You have to strengthen your back too.. just increasing flexibility is not enough.

The knee bend and or hip thrust is better than back arch in terms of back safety. But if you have bad knees...:???:

Even if you mainly use knee bend as shown in SystemAnamoly's illustruation, there is still some stress on the back just to keep the body inclined. (especially for us older guys :) )

Djokovic, Davydenko, Hewitt, Safin use pretty significant back arch for their power, but then again they are pro's and with great back strength and flexibility.