PDA

View Full Version : Working out with ALOT of cardio...still looking too bulky.

TENNIS_IS_FUN
09-01-2008, 12:23 AM
Been working out at the gym for a good 2 months now...I do ALOT of cardio. Warm up with 1 mile on the tread mill, then do the elliptical at resistance 50 for about 10 minutes, then i do another mile on the tread mill, then i swim (nothing too intensive, mostly as a cool down). I do all this after i weight train, but im still looking bigger (fatter). I want to look cut and lean but now my chests can make the average girl feel ashamed. What to do? I'm thinking about stopping weight training all together and only focus on cardio, so I can start from scratch at very minimal body fat %, then bulk up. I'm 18 years old and before working out i was at 155 now i'm at 164. I tried doing HIIT but my knees and ankles are weak and if i stress them out too much w/ full on sprinting they do ache. Plus my face looks kinda bloated as well.
WTF??

Hot Sauce
09-01-2008, 12:33 AM
Just curious, how tall are you?

TENNIS_IS_FUN
09-01-2008, 12:33 AM
5'9.

10 chars.

andreh
09-01-2008, 12:43 AM
Seems to me you need to burn fat. The exercises you describe are not optimal for that. Long distance running (or speedwalking) would probably work better for that.

That is, running or walking for at least 40 minutes, low to medium intensity depending on you form.

Hot Sauce
09-01-2008, 12:59 AM
In my opinion, you should do what you mentioned, and stop the weight training and then bulk.

TENNIS_IS_FUN
09-01-2008, 01:15 AM
Seems to me you need to burn fat. The exercises you describe are not optimal for that. Long distance running (or speedwalking) would probably work better for that.

That is, running or walking for at least 40 minutes, low to medium intensity depending on you form.

40 minutes? WOW! I mean i run 2 miles on the tread mill and 1 on the elliptical...is that not considered long distance?

superman1
09-01-2008, 01:25 AM
Weight training = good
Cardio = good
Your Diet = bad

Suck it up and start counting calories.

andreh
09-01-2008, 01:25 AM
40 minutes? WOW! I mean i run 2 miles on the tread mill and 1 on the elliptical...is that not considered long distance?

No. 3 miles = 4,8 km. It's medium distance. It won't burn any fat. Long distance in 6, 7, 8 km plus (without breaks)

Remember, you don't have to run fast (as I said you can walk fast instead). Just low intensity excersise for longer period of time. The body doesn't start to burn fat until it has exhausted other resources.

When you do long distance you skip the other exercises that day.

superman1
09-01-2008, 01:33 AM
I disagree. That's plenty long distance and his glycogen is already depleted since he has just lifted weights for a long period of time.

You could do absolutely no cardio and still lose fat by fixing your diet. Cardio is always recommended, but it is actually secondary (or even tertiary) in the goal of losing fat.

TENNIS_IS_FUN
09-01-2008, 01:47 AM
Im gonna stop lifting weights for about a good month and do heavy cardio twice a day...45 minutes each.

andreh
09-01-2008, 02:16 AM
I disagree. That's plenty long distance and his glycogen is already depleted since he has just lifted weights for a long period of time.

You could do absolutely no cardio and still lose fat by fixing your diet. Cardio is always recommended, but it is actually secondary (or even tertiary) in the goal of losing fat.

My point exactly. Low intensity long distance running is not primarily a cardio excercise. For that you do short and medium distance, interval training etc. And the diet is of course important.

superman1
09-01-2008, 02:40 AM
Im gonna stop lifting weights for about a good month and do heavy cardio twice a day...45 minutes each.

This is the reason Ano quit this forum.

Moz
09-01-2008, 04:53 AM
Been working out at the gym for a good 2 months now...I do ALOT of cardio. Warm up with 1 mile on the tread mill, then do the elliptical at resistance 50 for about 10 minutes, then i do another mile on the tread mill, then i swim (nothing too intensive, mostly as a cool down). I do all this after i weight train, but im still looking bigger (fatter). I want to look cut and lean but now my chests can make the average girl feel ashamed. What to do? I'm thinking about stopping weight training all together and only focus on cardio, so I can start from scratch at very minimal body fat %, then bulk up. I'm 18 years old and before working out i was at 155 now i'm at 164. I tried doing HIIT but my knees and ankles are weak and if i stress them out too much w/ full on sprinting they do ache. Plus my face looks kinda bloated as well.
WTF??

Stick with the weight training - that will help.

You won't make any of your goals without a dietary focus.

You are doing very little cardio. Gradually build into it but you should get some results by bumping up the running workouts, but keep it low intensity.

dcottrill
09-01-2008, 04:56 AM
This is the reason Ano quit this forum.

He's probably reading this and shaking his head in wonder.

dave333
09-01-2008, 07:25 AM
Keep lifting, keep running, but most importantly watch your diet. I went from 18% body fat to 12% now off of that strategy. Very simply, effective.

Now for diet, my idea was pretty simple: Eat food with more protein than fat. For example, a sandwich at subway has around 6 grams of fat but almost 20 grams of protein. The ratio need not be that high, it can be like 6 grams of fat to 8-10 grams of protein. The point of this diet is that it removes a lot of junk out of your diet: hamburgers, chips, cookies, etc. I still indulged every once in a while but basically just followed that. Pretty basic and not very special, but it worked reasonably well. Count calories too (not exact, round to the nearest hundred or so, and count them up from there, should be easy), it helps your brain think about how much you've been eating and when you should stop, etc.

Weight lifting is important because it builds muscle, which boosts your metabolism and helps burn fat. Cardio is also useful (it would be nice if you could do HIIT, maybe try to find a shoe store that does individual sizing for your legs).

I'd recommend reading magazines like Men's Health for more advice.

And Ano quit? That sucks. I read his advice and followed it, helped me in my fat loss regimen.

Marc The Shark
09-01-2008, 04:43 PM
Keep lifting, keep running, but most importantly watch your diet. I went from 18% body fat to 12% now off of that strategy. Very simply, effective.

Now for diet, my idea was pretty simple: Eat food with more protein than fat. For example, a sandwich at subway has around 6 grams of fat but almost 20 grams of protein. The ratio need not be that high, it can be like 6 grams of fat to 8-10 grams of protein. The point of this diet is that it removes a lot of junk out of your diet: hamburgers, chips, cookies, etc. I still indulged every once in a while but basically just followed that. Pretty basic and not very special, but it worked reasonably well. Count calories too (not exact, round to the nearest hundred or so, and count them up from there, should be easy), it helps your brain think about how much you've been eating and when you should stop, etc.

Weight lifting is important because it builds muscle, which boosts your metabolism and helps burn fat. Cardio is also useful (it would be nice if you could do HIIT, maybe try to find a shoe store that does individual sizing for your legs).

I'd recommend reading magazines like Men's Health for more advice.

And Ano quit? That sucks. I read his advice and followed it, helped me in my fat loss regimen.

Thats probably the best advice yet. I will second that advice with my own experience. I went from 20.8% body down to 15% where I am at the moment by doing everything Dave said.
Stopping weightlifting won't necessarily help you. As mentioned the more muscle you have the more calories you burn. One thing you want to watch for is the way you lift. Instead of trying to max out and do 8-10 reps go lighter and go for 15-20 reps. This will build leaner muscle which in turn will be better for tennis since big bulky muscles aren't that practical in tennis.
As far as cardio I do long distance ( about 40 minute jog) monday/wednesday/Friday. Sprints tuesday/thursday followed by a 30 minute swim.
Just build yourself a regiment and stick to it and watch your diet closely like dave said.

Good luck!

Rickson
09-01-2008, 08:12 PM
Extra cardio? Have you never heard of dieting?

sn1974
09-01-2008, 11:06 PM
try fitday dot com, it's free and tracks calories consumed and burned.

agree with all the posters about watching your caloric intake. you'll never be able to burn all the calories you can eat.

at your height each mile you run/walk/jog will burn a little over 100 calories. not sure about you but i can easily eat an extra 1,000 calories a day if i'm not paying attention (and i am a relatively slim female). to get rid of that i'd have to run 10 extra miles a day.

dcottrill
09-02-2008, 05:52 AM
The most important part is to have a clean calorie-deficit diet.Put here your stats to find how many calories you should consume:
http://www.phord.com/cc/

That is a great calculator - one of the best I've seen.

malakas
09-02-2008, 07:08 AM
Yes,because it takes into account your BF% if known,and your measurements.Also,the deficit suggested is small enough to prevent any muscle loss and plateus.This is very important when aiming for long and considerable fat loss.Slow and steady wins the race.