PDA

View Full Version : Losing The Legs

bumfluff
09-01-2008, 08:51 AM
I've basically always had large legs, ever since I was a wee baby. However, I'm a little bit overweight and I think losing weight, especially off the legs, will help my tennis game and also my table tennis game. i haven't really put any weight on for a while so I know it won't be a drastic change thats needed for me to lose weight.

Can anyone give me tips on how to lose fat from my legs, my inner thighs are probably the worst area? I know whatever I do I won't have really slender legs, but I know I'm carrying extra weight which slows me down.

Thanks

Moz
09-01-2008, 08:53 AM
Spot reducing is not possible so you'll have to lose weight in the normal way - watching your diet and cardio fitness. Implementing a weight regime will also help.

bumfluff
09-01-2008, 09:00 AM
Can you suggest anything in terms of diet and cardio? I'm not a member of a gym atm, I would like to join one, but I start work in a couple of weeks and I don't know if I'll be able to fit it in enough to make a membership worthwhile. I would say my fitness isn't what it should be either so I probably need to build it up with the cardio.

albino smurf
09-01-2008, 09:16 AM
I've got zero fat on my legs and nothing can tire them out. Walk everywhere, always. Run on top of that and add HIITs. Cycling to warm down. All day every day. OR just work up to running 30-40 miles per week.

bumfluff
09-01-2008, 09:23 AM
I do walk most places, although I'm not doing the couple of miles to and from school anymore everyday. Its partly a case of always having fat on my legs. What are HIITs?

Moz
09-01-2008, 12:13 PM
Can you suggest anything in terms of diet and cardio? I'm not a member of a gym atm, I would like to join one, but I start work in a couple of weeks and I don't know if I'll be able to fit it in enough to make a membership worthwhile. I would say my fitness isn't what it should be either so I probably need to build it up with the cardio.

Sure - running is going to give you most bang for your buck - in terms of calories burned v duration and you wouldn't need to join a gym.

Try and run every day and focus on time spent on your feet rather than pace. If weight loss is your goal you don't want to be out of breath - limit your pace to a pace that you can hold a conversation. Once this gets easier just extend the amount of time that you are on your feet.

Diet - if you wish stick with what you are doing while you build the running up. If you stick at the running and prove to yourself you are serious it doesn't have to be rocket science. Cut out or down on the obvious crap eat - adding cheese to food, refined sugars (soda in particular) and frying everything. If you are running enough you shouldn't need to starve yourself - just cut down on the obviously bad food.

Good luck.

Rickson
09-01-2008, 12:31 PM
Sure thing. Do a lot of inner thigh machine which should suck the fat right out of those inner thighs. Try some calf raises which will melt the fat right off those calves and don't forget those leg extensions which do wonders for removing fat from the quadriceps. Oh my goodness! I almost forgot about squats! Nothing gets your legs skinnier than squats! Make sure you do plenty of squats if you want to get rid of fat in those legs. And by the way, bench pressing will help you get rid of man breasts and crunches are great for getting rid of belly fat.

bumfluff
09-01-2008, 01:24 PM
Hey guys, thanks for the tips...

Atm I don't have access to any gym equipment so I can't do any leg extensions or use an inner thigh machine. Is there any way I can adapt these to regular home use.

How many squats should I do? I have no problem doing them but I don't know the numbers I should be doing.

For some reason I'm not a very comfortable runner, is cycling any good for weightloss and cardio? I enjoy cycling.

scotus
09-01-2008, 01:36 PM
Sure thing. Do a lot of inner thigh machine which should suck the fat right out of those inner thighs. Try some calf raises which will melt the fat right off those calves and don't forget those leg extensions which do wonders for removing fat from the quadriceps. Oh my goodness! I almost forgot about squats! Nothing gets your legs skinnier than squats! Make sure you do plenty of squats if you want to get rid of fat in those legs. And by the way, bench pressing will help you get rid of man breasts and crunches are great for getting rid of belly fat.

Rickson needs a day off.

chess9
09-01-2008, 01:43 PM
Are you male or female? How old are you? What is your athletic history? Do you have any injuries, disabilities or physical deficits other than being overweight and out of shape? What is your height and weight? How much running have you done in the recent past? (If you haven't done any running in the recent past, don't run every day. <sorry Moz>) What's your diet like?

I'd need to know more before I'd comment.

Man breasts? ;)

-Robert

Satch
09-01-2008, 01:46 PM
Can anyone give me tips on how to lose fat from my legs, my inner thighs are probably the worst area? I know whatever I do I won't have really slender legs, but I know I'm carrying extra weight which slows me down.

Thanks

i lost a lot of weight from that area just by riding a bike... the best way if you find running to be too much.

BTW your tempo should be moderate for at least one hour... 3-4 days a week.

Topaz
09-01-2008, 01:52 PM
Hey guys, thanks for the tips...

Atm I don't have access to any gym equipment so I can't do any leg extensions or use an inner thigh machine. Is there any way I can adapt these to regular home use.

How many squats should I do? I have no problem doing them but I don't know the numbers I should be doing.

For some reason I'm not a very comfortable runner, is cycling any good for weightloss and cardio? I enjoy cycling.

Invest in some ankle weights/dumbells. Then google...you'll find lots of stuff.

Or, you can just start by doing squats, lunges, dips without any weights at all...just your own body weight. Start with 3 sets of 10-12 squats each. Focus on keeping good form and the weight in your heels. Contract the abs to help with form and balance. If you do that and don't feel them...increase the amount of squats in each set, do more sets, and/or start doing them with weight held on your shoulders or at your side (doesn't have to be a dumbell...just grab some canned veggies or something like that).

Personally, I like doing step ups. I use a small rubbermaid step stool that is roughly 13 inches high, plant one foot on there and then step back with the other leg, wash, rinse, repeat...and then do other side. I usually hold weights when doing them, too. I really feel those, and quickly, too.

Cycling is also excellent, and there are several serious cyclists on this forum that should be able to help you.

But, it would also help if you answered the questions that chess9 (one of our cyclists) asked in his last post.

bumfluff
09-01-2008, 01:53 PM
Are you male or female? How old are you? What is your athletic history? Do you have any injuries, disabilities or physical deficits other than being overweight and out of shape? What is your height and weight? How much running have you done in the recent past? (If you haven't done any running in the recent past, don't run every day. <sorry Moz>) What's your diet like?

I'd need to know more before I'd comment.

Man breasts?

-Robert

I'm male and 17. I have played tennis for a number of years although haven't been training for tennis for a while. I have also played table tennis for a number of years and do train quite hard for that (although I am currently on a break but will be going back soon). I did spend time in the gym at school at the beginning of the year and did improve my fitness, however coursework for physics took that away from me. I am an asthma sufferer however it doesn't hinder exercise unless it is particularly dusty or I react to something else. I'm about 6'1 or 6'2 around that and I weigh 14 stone ish. Recently I haven't done any running other than on a tennis court, I'm not immobile on a tennis court. My diet isn't exactly green but I have enough fruit and veg usually, I don't eat macdonalds or other fast food often, in fact I haven't been there at all this year really. I probably eat a few too many snacks throughout the day (a snack for me is like a slice or two of bread) but I'm going to cut that out and only eat at meal times.

Man breasts? Hmmmm, I wouldn't say I have particularly feminine moobs but I don't have well defined pecs. I do have volcanic nipples :)

Edit: And I went out for a bike ride today, was out maybe an hour. A fair amount was steep hill and I think I had my heart rate in the cardio zone for enough of it.

Edit 2: Just thought I'd add, my dad has a home blood pressure testing kit, I was perfectly normal when I used it.

mr.flash
09-01-2008, 01:55 PM
Here's an advice, i do this as my regular workout, but i also work as a fitness instructor in a gym so i'm into these things.

-warm up Do some steady running on you toes (skipping) lifting your knees a bit higher than usual. Do it for 3 mins.

-do a 1 minutes high intensity skipping simulating sprint, than go back to usual.
repeat that for 5-10 mins

1. bicycle HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training)
-first you need to check your hearthrate
anything bellow 60 is good, 50 and under is the hearth rate of professional athletes.
-start with the warm up, 4 minutes on 30-40 % of your HR
-push it up to 60-70% for 2 minutes,
than go back to 30% for 2 mins or until you hearth rate normalize
-repeat that for 30 minutes (including cool down 2-4 mins or until youe HR drops to normal level)
-once you get familar with the excersize do the high intensity parts standing up that burns quads verry efficiently.

-Leg workout - don't do it seperatly add it to you regular workout.

squats 3-4 series, repetitions 15-20

stretches all sorts, but accentuate the leggs do it for at least 10 minutes at the end of this excersize.

I hope this was helpfull.

bumfluff
09-01-2008, 02:14 PM
What I'm thinking just now...

Try and go out cycling everyday until I start my job and then I will have to reevaluate. Also trying to play tennis and table tennis and the od session of badminton and maybe squash as I'm thinking of taking up racketlon.

In the evening before bed, I will do exercises such as calf lifts, squats, crunches, lunges and then stretch it off. I'm also working on the one hundred push-ups programme to improve my upper body strength.

Once I start my job maybe I will try and get a routine going like mr flash's or see if I have the energy and time for using the gym (I have a particular fancy of spending the hours on a rowing machine because I find that very enjoyable).

Topaz
09-01-2008, 02:18 PM
^^^Rowing is excellent cardio work as well as great for the abs and upper body. If you enjoy doing it, you'll stick with it, and that is what is most important!

bumfluff
09-01-2008, 02:19 PM
Yeah, I just have no access to a machine atm, but if I do get access to one I will surely use it.

Rickson
09-01-2008, 02:22 PM
To the 17 year old Englishman. It's all in the diet. You won't get your legs any leaner by working on them. Burn more calories than you consume and you'll lose some bodyfat. You can't control where you lose fat.

chess9
09-01-2008, 02:25 PM
I'm male and 17. I have played tennis for a number of years although haven't been training for tennis for a while. I have also played table tennis for a number of years and do train quite hard for that (although I am currently on a break but will be going back soon). I did spend time in the gym at school at the beginning of the year and did improve my fitness, however coursework for physics took that away from me. I am an asthma sufferer however it doesn't hinder exercise unless it is particularly dusty or I react to something else. I'm about 6'1 or 6'2 around that and I weigh 14 stone ish. Recently I haven't done any running other than on a tennis court, I'm not immobile on a tennis court. My diet isn't exactly green but I have enough fruit and veg usually, I don't eat macdonalds or other fast food often, in fact I haven't been there at all this year really. I probably eat a few too many snacks throughout the day (a snack for me is like a slice or two of bread) but I'm going to cut that out and only eat at meal times.

Man breasts? Hmmmm, I wouldn't say I have particularly feminine moobs but I don't have well defined pecs. I do have volcanic nipples :)

Edit: And I went out for a bike ride today, was out maybe an hour. A fair amount was steep hill and I think I had my heart rate in the cardio zone for enough of it.

Edit 2: Just thought I'd add, my dad has a home blood pressure testing kit, I was perfectly normal when I used it.

You are a good sized bloke for sure, so running every day at that weight would be contraindicated. You might try running two to three days per week for 1-3 miles depending on how your legs hold up. Keep a very easy pace for a few weeks, though at your age and with your training you shouldn't need a long base training period. After a few weeks, start lengthening your run one day per week. One day do some shorter fartleks or track intervals.

The recommendation just above me is good too. Cycling is very easy on the joints, so on the days you aren't running you might go with the cycling.

Definitely cross train with your build until you are thinner. If you are large boned, you might be able to reasonably carry 185 lbs for tennis. If you are thin boned like Sam Querrey, for instance, then about 175 is more like it at your age.

The way to do this is ONE DAY AT A TIME. Take the long view and keep it up. Consistency is more important than exactly what you do, at least initially. It's easier to keep a pound off than take a pound off, so once you get into shape STAY THERE or try to improve your leanness. For both your sports being lean is keen. :) You will be chuffed to monkeys once you are fit and able to move faster. ;)

-Robert

bumfluff
09-01-2008, 02:46 PM
I will concentrate on making sure I exercise as much as possible, probably mostly cycling and I will try and do some running too. I will watch what I eat and I will try to work on my strength a bit too.

KBlade Pro
09-02-2008, 04:04 PM
I talked to my doctor about weight loss a few month back and basically she told me it was all about nutrition. She said that exercise is good for maintaining weight, but weight loss really comes eating fewer calories.

It made sense to me because you could be on the treadmill for 40mins and burn 800 calories (just estimating, don't remember), and this seemed like a lot until I realized it's about 2.5 bagels without any toppings. Each 12oz. can of coke is 120 calories, and a cheesecake at Cheesecake Factory is well over 1000 calories! Things add up fast, and you only need about 2000 - 3000 calories a day depending. Checkout this link for more info: http://www.nutritiondata.com/tools/calories-burned. There's a calculator for about how many calories your body needs.

bumfluff
09-03-2008, 02:05 AM
Even if it is mostly in the diet, you don't get fit by eating less.

mr.flash
09-03-2008, 02:22 AM
You need to drop your calories intake for 200 - 500 bellow your regular, start working out, cardio etc. (you have an example in one of my prevous posts).
As for nutriotion it's verry important, more than 1/2 of every fitness plan is good nutrition. On that same website you can see what you need and plan you meals, also you can ask me anything and if i know, i'd be happy to answer.

mr.flash

KBlade Pro
09-03-2008, 08:06 AM

I think it's pretty obvious from my post that I was only talking about his desire to lose weight, especially from his legs. I wasn't addressing his fitness.

chess9
09-03-2008, 09:11 AM

Yes, excellent. You can't get fit though if you eat badly. :) Stay out of those fish and chips shops, lad. :twisted:

-Robert

bumfluff
09-03-2008, 09:13 AM
Don't worry, the only Fish and Chip shop in my town is partly an indian. I don't think its even proper chips. Didn't manage a run or a cycle today but I got some tennis playing done, that will help a little bit.

Rickson
09-03-2008, 09:47 AM
From a man who can do no hand kip ups, front hand springs, front somersaults, bench 275 currently and 345 formerly, you get more fit from dieting than from exercise. If you don't believe a powerhouse who doesn't even like to diet, who will you believe?

bumfluff
09-03-2008, 11:18 AM
Ok, I give in, just don't hurt me. I take it you mean 345lbs? I will see what happens with what I'm doing now. Its not that I eat unhealthily, its just that I have too much. So atm I'm only eating at meal times and avoiding sweets. I weighed myself this morning and I was under 14 stone for the first time in quite a while I think. So I'm going in the right direction.

Rickson
09-03-2008, 02:07 PM
Kilograms!