PDA

View Full Version : A different kind of cramps

40lovebaby
09-02-2008, 10:24 AM
Over the last week I have been getting very strange cramps when I work out or play tennis. I haven't had cramps of any sort for several years and I am in good shape. There isn't a strain or injury that I can pinpoint these to.

The strange part is that they happen very, very early in the match or workout - just after a few minutes of playing or working out.

They are pretty intense leg cramps - the outside quad muscles will fill with fluid and tighten up and then they may ease up some, but are still there at some level for the rest of the day. This happened twice over the last week while playing.

Today I was working out on the eliptical machine when the muscle just above my knee more on the inside cramped up after 15 minutes, which of course is very early in a workout, which was a normal one. I cut the workout short after really slowing down. The cramp eased a little after the workout, and I've stretched my quads a lot after finishing.

The muscle is still tight - I can feel it with my finger and tell that it's tight from the outside even.

Has anyone ever experienced anything like this? I don't think it's from lack of stretching, or not being in shape, or overuse of muscles. I am wondering if my diet might be lacking something, or if I'm eating too much sugar, or something along these lines. . . any advice is appreciated.

RanchDressing
09-03-2008, 04:08 PM
Over the last week I have been getting very strange cramps when I work out or play tennis. I haven't had cramps of any sort for several years and I am in good shape. There isn't a strain or injury that I can pinpoint these to.

The strange part is that they happen very, very early in the match or workout - just after a few minutes of playing or working out.

They are pretty intense leg cramps - the outside quad muscles will fill with fluid and tighten up and then they may ease up some, but are still there at some level for the rest of the day. This happened twice over the last week while playing.

Today I was working out on the eliptical machine when the muscle just above my knee more on the inside cramped up after 15 minutes, which of course is very early in a workout, which was a normal one. I cut the workout short after really slowing down. The cramp eased a little after the workout, and I've stretched my quads a lot after finishing.

The muscle is still tight - I can feel it with my finger and tell that it's tight from the outside even.

Has anyone ever experienced anything like this? I don't think it's from lack of stretching, or not being in shape, or overuse of muscles. I am wondering if my diet might be lacking something, or if I'm eating too much sugar, or something along these lines. . . any advice is appreciated.

Eat bannanananannanas!
They contain potassium which switches places with sodium to make muscles contract. When you dont have enough potassium your muscles lock up aka cramps.

El Guapo
09-04-2008, 06:46 PM
Eat bannanananannanas!
They contain potassium which switches places with sodium to make muscles contract. When you dont have enough potassium your muscles lock up aka cramps.
Bad advice. Cramping after 15 minutes has nothing to do with electrolytes.

40lovebaby
09-05-2008, 08:46 AM
Bad advice. Cramping after 15 minutes has nothing to do with electrolytes.

I agree with you - do you have any advice?

El Guapo
09-06-2008, 12:39 PM
Do you get leg cramps at night? How often do you get deep massage or foam roll your legs?

40lovebaby
09-08-2008, 10:50 AM
Do you get leg cramps at night? How often do you get deep massage or foam roll your legs?

I don't get cramps at night.

I get a deep massage once a month.

El Guapo
09-09-2008, 07:42 AM
Sounds like tight IT bands. Get better massage on the TFL and use a foam roller on your ITs.

chess9
09-09-2008, 08:41 AM
Are you taking ibuprofen or any other meds? :) Are you female?

Cramping can be caused by a variety of problems, so it's very hard to say here, but your doctor might help if it persists.

-Robert

40lovebaby
09-10-2008, 10:28 AM
Not female - not those kind of cramps (I hope not!!!!).

I'll try the massage route, and if that doesn't work, off to the doctor.

Thanks guys - didn't know if anyone else had similar experience.