PDA

View Full Version : Google Chrome

WBF
09-02-2008, 11:06 AM
Google has released a beta of their new 'Chrome' browser. Posting using this browser. I am quite, quite pleased thus far. Incredibly fast, and some nifty functionality. Check it out here:

http://www.google.com/chrome/intl/en/features.html (Features)

http://www.google.com/chrome (Download)

A fresh take on the browser

At Google, we spend much of our time working inside a browser. We search, chat, email and collaborate in a browser. And like all of you, in our spare time, we shop, bank, read news and keep in touch with friends - all using a browser. People are spending an increasing amount of time online, and they're doing things never imagined when the web first appeared about 15 years ago.

Since we spend so much time online, we began seriously thinking about what kind of browser could exist if you started from scratch and built on the best elements out there. We realized that the web had evolved from mainly simple text pages to rich, interactive applications and that we needed to completely rethink the browser. What we really needed was not just a browser, but also a modern platform for web pages and applications, and that's what we set out to build.

So today we're releasing the beta version of a new open source browser: Google Chrome.

On the surface, we designed a browser window that is streamlined and simple. To most people, it isn't the browser that matters. It's only a tool to run the important stuff - the pages, sites and applications that make up the web. Like the classic Google homepage, Google Chrome is clean and fast. It gets out of your way and gets you where you want to go.

Under the hood, we were able to build the foundation of a browser that runs today's complex web applications much better . By keeping each tab in an isolated "sandbox", we were able to prevent one tab from crashing another and provide improved protection from rogue sites. We improved speed and responsiveness across the board. We also built V8, a more powerful JavaScript engine, to power the next generation of web applications that aren't even possible in today's browsers.

This is just the beginning - Google Chrome is far from done. We've released this beta for Windows to start the broader discussion and hear from you as quickly as possible. We're hard at work building versions for Mac and Linux too, and we'll continue to make it even faster and more robust.

We owe a great debt to many open source projects, and we're committed to continuing on their path. We've used components from Apple's WebKit and Mozilla's Firefox, among others - and in that spirit, we are making all of our code open source as well. We hope to collaborate with the entire community to help drive the web forward.

The web gets better with more options and innovation. Google Chrome is another option, and we hope it contributes to making the web even better.
But enough from us. The best test of Google Chrome is to try it yourself.

Shahar26
09-02-2008, 11:31 AM
Do we really need another browser??
It's hard enough to make website compatible with the browsers that are currently out there....

WBF
09-02-2008, 01:23 PM
Oh, by all means. I use Google as a search engine, gmail, and gmail notifier.

Lakoste
09-02-2008, 02:44 PM
Chrome is nice, but until add-ons come out for it I'll stick to FF3.

StealthGnome
09-02-2008, 10:16 PM
Oh, by all means. I use Google as a search engine, gmail, and gmail notifier.

I'm with you.

I'm definitely trying out Chrome later this week. It's still in beta so I expect the bugs.

I gotta stick with FF though unless Chrome ports most of my extension.

adams_1
09-02-2008, 11:36 PM
I saw some results from some JavaScript/V8 benchmarks, and damn, it's fast.

That side of it doesn't mean a whole lot to me though. I'm installing it now and I will try it. I highly doubt it's going to take over from FF as my main browser, but I like messing about with alternatives :P

therogerfan
09-03-2008, 08:23 AM
I've just tried it , looks easy and simple.

therogerfan
09-03-2008, 09:08 AM
For some reason, it downloads everything very slowly.

therogerfan
09-04-2008, 02:06 PM
I've found another big disadvantage - Youtube doesn't work on Chrome. It just says "Video is no longer available" whatever video you choose.

chrisf
09-04-2008, 02:23 PM
I've found another big disadvantage - Youtube doesn't work on Chrome. It just says "Video is no longer available" whatever video you choose.

I don't know what you're talking about, youtube and any other flash video sights work just fine for me. Overall I'm really liking this browser and have switched to it on my laptop(never got around to updating to ff3). I've always been pretty impressed by google as a company and the speed with which they changed the EULA shows how dedicated they are to not screwing their users over like many, many other companies. Now someone has to tell them to release an OS.

Shahar26
09-04-2008, 02:59 PM
I would never trade FF as my main browser to anything that doesn't have an ad blocker
and a flash blocker, ever since I installed those, browsing the web hasn't been the same....

I somehow find it unlikely that Google will allow those since ads are their main business.

I also doubt their intentions, it seems they are just trying to get more and more
information about where people browse and such to give you "more targeted" ads.

Hot Sauce
09-04-2008, 04:01 PM
I downloaded it, but it doesn't seem to have any new features that catch me.

WBF
09-04-2008, 05:09 PM
I think it really depends on the user. I visit no sites where ads give me problems, so I have no problems with the browser. I also prefer speedy browsing over the extensive functionality FF3+extensions offer (particularly because of their effect on speed and startup time), as well as the fact that I simply don't need this functionality.

As for their intentions... I mean... Seriously? They are offering a product that will be directly helpful to many, and indirectly helpful to every single person who keeps their browser reasonably up to date. Hell, Mozilla already responded with improving their javascript speed. Guess what improving the state of browsers does besides helping users? It helps Google, as users access Googles various services through the browser. Oh, and what do you know, it turns out this nice snappy little browser might be helpful for Googles own online apps as well. So what if they glean some help on ads? It's a win win situation for everyone. Who loses? Take off your tinfoil hat please.

*edit: also this is BS: I somehow find it unlikely that Google will allow those since ads are their main business. They won't have time for extensions due to development of OS X and Linux variants, as well as other prioritized goals, but they have stated that they will likely develop a system for these (extensions). Sure, they clearly won't release an ad blocker themselves, but not allowing it? That's just silly.

chrisf
09-04-2008, 11:59 PM
I think it really depends on the user. I visit no sites where ads give me problems, so I have no problems with the browser. I also prefer speedy browsing over the extensive functionality FF3+extensions offer (particularly because of their effect on speed and startup time), as well as the fact that I simply don't need this functionality.

As for their intentions... I mean... Seriously? They are offering a product that will be directly helpful to many, and indirectly helpful to every single person who keeps their browser reasonably up to date. Hell, Mozilla already responded with improving their javascript speed. Guess what improving the state of browsers does besides helping users? It helps Google, as users access Googles various services through the browser. Oh, and what do you know, it turns out this nice snappy little browser might be helpful for Googles own online apps as well. So what if they glean some help on ads? It's a win win situation for everyone. Who loses? Take off your tinfoil hat please.

*edit: also this is BS: They won't have time for extensions due to development of OS X and Linux variants, as well as other prioritized goals, but they have stated that they will likely develop a system for these (extensions). Sure, they clearly won't release an ad blocker themselves, but not allowing it? That's just silly.

Ah, the voice of reason. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it completely open source? If google doesn't produce an adblocking extension themselves there will be a whole sea of third party extensions for you I'm sure. And as for the whole "they're just trying to target me for ads!!1" thing, honestly, so what? Instead of looking at ads poorly targeted towards your interests you'll see ads which might actually convince me to click on them.... the horror. It's free, it's open source, it has great functionality, and created by a company with a good track record. I hope it's a huge success.

WBF
09-05-2008, 06:20 AM
Chrome is the 'closed' version of Chromium... Or, Chromium is the open-source project behind Google Chrome.

http://code.google.com/chromium/

mabuhay
09-05-2008, 08:44 AM
downloaded it yesterday and it seems to be working fine. my only complain is the bookmark. i imported my firefox bookmarks and wanted to organize it but there's no easy way to do it. i've looked on their help page but there's nothing that can help me.

NickC
09-06-2008, 10:51 AM
I downloaded it last night and took it for a quick spin. I'm using it now as I post and so far, I'm impressed. Clean, quick, and stylish. Goodbye IE, as I'm now using FF3 and Chrome. I can't wait to see what the finalized version looks like!

J-man
10-11-2008, 04:33 PM
I just downloaded, been using FF3 and enjoy it. I actually don't find it any faster than FF3 and I had trouble scrolling in Chrome. Could only go down.

superstition
10-11-2008, 05:20 PM
I use Safari 4 mainly, sometimes with plug-ins disabled to avoid the annoyance of Flash ads. For sites that require Flash, I use Firefox because of the Flashblock add-on. It's a piece of cake to switch back and forth in OS X between the programs. Safari is a great browser that would be almost perfect with Flashblock.

S H O W S T O P P E R !
10-11-2008, 05:50 PM
You do know Google keeps records of where you go online and sells it to companies, right? I wouldn't use it because I would be downloading a tracking cookie willingly onto my system.

WBF
10-11-2008, 07:12 PM
Actually, it asks you if you want to supply usage statistics. You can say no.

Leelord337
10-11-2008, 09:50 PM
google chrome is ok but i prefer netscape navigator because of the temperature in your zip code in the bottom right of the page.

J-man
11-08-2008, 10:00 AM
Have been using it for a bout a week now and its pretty decent. though sometimes it can be very slow. But overall its quite fast.

mikeler
11-08-2008, 11:41 AM
You can use a Hosts file to get rid of ads without using extensions. Check out this link, it works really well.

http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm