PDA

View Full Version : Roddick to Nike!!!

Nike Tennis2005
02-02-2005, 12:45 AM
Whats the latest. I know his coach wears Nike....

BreakPoint
02-02-2005, 02:35 AM
Maybe Roddick should just borrow his coach's clothes then. :lol:

Nike Tennis2005
02-02-2005, 04:35 AM
Seriously any news guys?

Noelle
02-02-2005, 08:24 AM
Not yet. You can wait until March, when his Reebok contract formally expires...

danniflava
02-02-2005, 08:30 AM
I hate RBK's look. Nike is usually so classy. Roddick would look nice in Nike.

splink779
02-02-2005, 11:08 AM
I think its good to be on reebok. Not many players are, and soooo many are on nike.

a-rod24
02-02-2005, 01:50 PM
i love reeboks style its so orginal compared to nikes style. Nike always have the same boring stuff with that big dumb check mark. Reebok allows roddick to look more like an individual unlike most tennis players who wear nike or addidas that all look the same for example in the AO when Hewitt and Nadal played they wore almost exactly the same outfit. So i really hope Roddick stays with Reebok.

RoddickRulez
02-02-2005, 02:00 PM
i love reeboks style its so orginal compared to nikes style. Nike always have the same boring stuff with that big dumb check mark. Reebok allows roddick to look more like an individual unlike most tennis players who wear nike or addidas that all look the same for example in the AO when Hewitt and Nadal played they wore almost exactly the same outfit. So i really hope Roddick stays with Reebok.

i totally agree with you a-rod24 i hope he stays with Reebok to
i love reeboks looks to.
very comfortable clothing
i wear it to

RoddickRulez
02-02-2005, 02:00 PM
nike is all the same

hummer23
02-02-2005, 07:24 PM
if he goes to nike, who is the highest ranked player with rebook clothing? i cant think of a single other player off hand. . . .who is left?

princehamlet
02-02-2005, 07:27 PM
Really?Then RBK only have v.williams.

kaiocool
02-02-2005, 07:44 PM
on the contrary, I am quite glad if he does leave RBK because I like RBK and I hate Roddick... just makes it easier for me to wear RBK... theres a reason i never bought those figjams that looked nice.

princehamlet
02-02-2005, 07:51 PM
IT seems that andy now doesn't wear figjams anymore

kaiocool
02-02-2005, 08:25 PM
still i resented the fact that both I and Roddick could like RBK, so i am happy if he goes to nike,

Foo4Everlong
02-02-2005, 08:25 PM
Really hope Nike stays far away from Roddick! And vice versa. Later

Fee
02-02-2005, 09:24 PM

Actually, Venus' Reebok contract expired back in October. There was a press release floating around somewhere that Reebok was glad that she was continuing to wear their clothes. They probably didn't think so after the way she looked at the AO (pink socks with navy blue clothes?).

BreakPoint
02-02-2005, 11:16 PM
If Roddick wants to stand out and be individualistic, he should definitely stay with Reebok. Almost nobody else on the ATP Top 100 wears Reebok. Way too many pros wear Nike and they all look like clones of each other. Sometimes when both guys on court are wearing the same Nike outfits, it's really hard to tell on TV who is who. Roddick looks cool in his Reebok stuff IMO.

BTW, I think Reebok clothes are better quality than Nike and they usually cost less, too.

Dan Salter
02-03-2005, 08:53 AM
Agree with kaiocool, Reebok is ok, but if I you wear reebok, it seems like you are copying Roddick.

RoddickRulez
02-03-2005, 09:24 AM
why does it seem that way
i love reebok not cause of rooddick but because its fit on me

illuminati817
02-03-2005, 03:56 PM
i hope roddick stays with reebok because i love Nike and i hate roddick so i don't know if i could wear Nike stuff anymore. Besides, all the Nike stuff is way too classy for him. And as far as everyone saying bad things about Nike, their only problem is that their stuff doesn't last forever, like per se Adidas stuff. But they compensate for that in the fact that simply, Nike makes the best shoes and clothes to play tennis in. Their shoes are meant for performance not longevity, and as such they are the best tennis shoes you can buy.

court_zone
02-03-2005, 05:11 PM
i hope roddick stays with reebok because i love Nike and i hate roddick so i don't know if i could wear Nike stuff anymore. Besides, all the Nike stuff is way too classy for him. And as far as everyone saying bad things about Nike, their only problem is that their stuff doesn't last forever, like per se Adidas stuff. But they compensate for that in the fact that simply, Nike makes the best shoes and clothes to play tennis in. Their shoes are meant for performance not longevity, and as such they are the best tennis shoes you can buy.

I second the Nike praising. It's the choice of two greats, Sampras and Agassi and two of the current top 4 men's players,Hewitt and Federer, no matter if some of you describe players who endorse nike as "clones", at least Nike's stuff is much better(quality and style) than Reebok's.

Noelle
02-03-2005, 05:22 PM
Agree with kaiocool, Reebok is ok, but if I you wear reebok, it seems like you are copying Roddick.

Reebok's main problem is that they only have Roddick among the most visible ATP players (i.e. those who play at Slam tournaments). They just haven't signed enough players in order to make a dent in the huge numbers of Nike- and Adidas-wearing players. Even Yonex has at least two prominent male players--Nalbandian and J. Johansson.

Nike Tennis2005
02-03-2005, 09:47 PM
wel shall soon find out was the AO the last GS with reebok and roddick?

BreakPoint
02-04-2005, 01:27 AM
I second the Nike praising. It's the choice of two greats, Sampras and Agassi and two of the current top 4 men's players,Hewitt and Federer, no matter if some of you describe players who endorse nike as "clones", at least Nike's stuff is much better(quality and style) than Reebok's.

The "choice" of two greats? If Nike offered you $10 million a year and Reebok only offered you $500,000 a year to wear their respective clothes and shoes, which would you choose? Not much of a choice is it? Has nothing to do with style nor quality. It's purely a financial decision, i.e., by wearing which shirt and shoes will I be able to get richer faster and become financially secure enough so that I can quit the grind of the tour whenever I choose to. I'm sure the Nike sponsored pros don't like looking like clones of each other either, but money talk and puts food on the table, so they put up with it.

I guess Nike's marketing strategy really works and gets a lot of people to pay top dollar for their average stuff. Remember that when you pay $100 for a pair of Nike shoes that you're really buying a pair of $50 shoes and also writing a check for $50 to Agassi, Federer, Hewitt, Moya, Blake, etc. etc.

Nike Tennis2005
02-04-2005, 01:34 AM
do we even know if nike want roddick?

illuminati817
02-04-2005, 01:45 AM
The "choice" of two greats? If Nike offered you $10 million a year and Reebok only offered you $500,000 a year to wear their respective clothes and shoes, which would you choose? Not much of a choice is it? Has nothing to do with style nor quality. It's purely a financial decision, i.e., by wearing which shirt and shoes will I be able to get richer faster and become financially secure enough so that I can quit the grind of the tour whenever I choose to. I'm sure the Nike sponsored pros don't like looking like clones of each other either, but money talk and puts food on the table, so they put up with it.

I guess Nike's marketing strategy really works and gets a lot of people to pay top dollar for their average stuff. Remember that when you pay $100 for a pair of Nike shoes that you're really buying a pair of $50 shoes and also writing a check for $50 to Agassi, Federer, Hewitt, Moya, Blake, etc. etc.

Are you telling me that Sampras and Agassi, and now Federer and Hewitt would rather make a few more bucks than have the best footwear they can have? Do you honestly think they choose to just play with whatever no matter how much better it might make them or how much injury it may cause them? The reason why these people choose to wear a certain product is because its the best in their opinion; and i happen to second that. Nike's shoes are on the cutting edge of technologies and ways to enhance a player's game, and their shoes are made for performance the way a ferrari is made to speed. Their clothes also use a lot of playability-enhancing material. Believe me, there's a reason why they(we) pay a few more bucks for better quality.

BreakPoint
02-04-2005, 02:10 AM
Are you telling me that Sampras and Agassi, and now Federer and Hewitt would rather make a few more bucks than have the best footwear they can have? Do you honestly think they choose to just play with whatever no matter how much better it might make them or how much injury it may cause them? The reason why these people choose to wear a certain product is because its the best in their opinion; and i happen to second that. Nike's shoes are on the cutting edge of technologies and ways to enhance a player's game, and their shoes are made for performance the way a ferrari is made to speed. Their clothes also use a lot of playability-enhancing material. Believe me, there's a reason why they(we) pay a few more bucks for better quality.

Yes, that is what I'm telling you. You just corroborated my point - that Nike's marketing hype really works. That's why Nike pays these top pros millions a year - obviously a good investment for them.

Did you know that Sampras won several Grand Slams wearing Sergio Tachinni shoes, which he wore for many years? Do you know how bad those shoes were? Just ask Martina Hingis. Nike came along with more $$$$ so Sampras switched. Don't you think he would have done just as well wearing Adidas shoes and clothes?

Lots of pros wear Fila or Diadora shoes. Do you think they make the best performance shoes? If not, why do these pros wear them? Could it be that they're paid to wear them?

Also, why is that you don't see any pros wearing New Balance, K-Swiss, Prince, nor Wilson shoes? They all make very high quality shoes which in most cases are of much higher quality than Nike shoes. They also tend to cost less, too. Why? Because when you buy a pair of $60 K-Swiss shoes, you just bought shoes worth all of its $60. You didn't have to pay the extra $50 "pro sponsorship tax", which goes to pay the pros' endorsement salaries, like Nike has to. These companies don't offer huge pro endorsement contracts. They put the money into the shoes themselves.

BTW, Sampras would have won 14 Grand Slams even if he worn a white, cotton T-shirt and New Balance or any brand of shoes.

illuminati817
02-04-2005, 08:43 AM
well, im sorry, but as someone who's been in tennis for several years; having tried many products throughout the years, i can tell you that in my honest to god opinion, Nike's stuff is the most performance-oriented and best quality out there. When these pros wear this stuff, they need to feel comfortable in it. Particularly in the case of shoes, there is no such thing as a paintjob, the shoe you see is the shoe they're wearing. Yes, they have models made specifically for players, such as the old shoe Nike made for agassi back in 1999, but we were all still able to purchase this model. Nike is simply a performance-oriented brand, and if you think the pros just play with any crap then youre wrong. These people are not only picky but they have egos, they dont just put on anything because they get a few more bucks out of it; particularly the likes of Sampras, Agassi, Federer and Hewitt who have more than enough money to be able to afford a lesser contract and whatever shoe and clothing line they truly want.

BreakPoint
02-04-2005, 11:37 AM
OK, if Nike makes the highest performance shoes and clothes, then why did Mardy Fish switch from Nike to Adidas recently? I mean his career and ability to make a living depends on his performance, doesn't it? The reason is Adidas offered him more money. Nike either dropped his contract or reduced the value of it and Adidas gave him more money so he jumped ship. If Nike stuff was really that much better, he would have accepted the lower pay or just bought the shoes and clothes with his own money. I mean, if it's going to make the difference between winning and losing, it'll be well worth his money, wouldn't it?

Aykhan Mammadov
02-04-2005, 12:24 PM
If Nike is the best undoubtly, and if PROs in the first order look for what is the best and only after that pay attention to the amount of contract, then why the following players of the first 10 wear:

Safin - Adidas,
Coria - Adidas,
Henman - Adidas
Roddick - Reebok,
Gaudio - Diadora
Nalbandyan - Yonex

Federer, Agassi, Moya, Hewitt - Nike.

From my opinion apparel doesn't play such a big role during match as shoes play. And in shoes IMHO Adidas, Nike, Prince, K-Swiss and New Balance are good manufacturers.

But if you touch design of products then of course the beautiful Europian design of Adidas shoes of course is number 1. IMHO in fashion, in cars Europians , especially Italians, Germans and French people are unbeaten.

Nike Tennis2005
02-04-2005, 09:53 PM
Back On Topic. I Really Think Roddick Will Make The Switch.

Deuce
02-05-2005, 02:11 AM
"Sampras would have won 14 Grand Slams even if he worn a white, cotton T-shirt and New Balance or any brand of shoes."

'BreakPoint' has this hands down. The only difference between Nike and the other companies is that Nike is more popular, and so employ more grossly underpaid Asian child labor. The quality of their stuff doesn't begin to match the quality of their marketing and brainwashing techniques. Nike quality is not superior to any other 'name brand'. And at the pro level, it's all about the money.

Nike markets their products very much like a religious cult. They have mastered the "You're not 'cool' if you don't have some kind of Nike product" brainwashing. They put their name and 'swoosh' on school binders, for crissake - there's a traditional sporting item, huh? They have Nike shoes for 3 month old babies - why? for 'performance' purposes? Of course not - it's to start people out as absolutely young as possible to be loyal to the 'cool' status symbol that is Nike.

Nike is the new American God. Don't believe me? - just read the posts in this thread.

Greg
02-05-2005, 10:04 AM
I hope Roddick doesn't disgrace Nike.

That's what Serena Williams is for.

hummer23
02-05-2005, 12:04 PM
is a shirt not a shirt? whats the extra significance of a nike good quality high priced crew, or its reebok counterpart? its all the same. when i buy a shirt, i pick whats more conftable, and what better looking im my eyes. the brand is that much of an issue for rec. players. but its everythign for the pros. thats just sad.

perfmode
02-05-2005, 02:40 PM

Whoever pays them the most will provide completely custom molded soles made to their liking, styled with the companies latest design.

New Balance makes better stuff than Nike but we buy Nike anyway. Why? Because nike is "cool".

kooyah
02-05-2005, 02:45 PM
Honestly, who cares what player is wearing what line of clothing? Makes no difference to me. I watch them to watch them play, not look at the logos on their clothes.

perfmode
02-05-2005, 02:45 PM
well, im sorry, but as someone who's been in tennis for several years; having tried many products throughout the years, i can tell you that in my honest to god opinion, Nike's stuff is the most performance-oriented and best quality out there. When these pros wear this stuff, they need to feel comfortable in it. Particularly in the case of shoes, there is no such thing as a paintjob, the shoe you see is the shoe they're wearing. Yes, they have models made specifically for players, such as the old shoe Nike made for agassi back in 1999, but we were all still able to purchase this model. Nike is simply a performance-oriented brand, and if you think the pros just play with any crap then youre wrong. These people are not only picky but they have egos, they dont just put on anything because they get a few more bucks out of it; particularly the likes of Sampras, Agassi, Federer and Hewitt who have more than enough money to be able to afford a lesser contract and whatever shoe and clothing line they truly want.

Do you think Nadal went with Nike for the shoes? Did Lebron James sign with Nike for the shoes? Hell no. It's all about the benjamins.

perfmode
02-05-2005, 02:47 PM
why does it seem that way
i love reebok not cause of rooddick but because its fit on me

and you named yourself "roddickrulez" because?

Fee
02-05-2005, 10:37 PM
Also, why is that you don't see any pros wearing New Balance, K-Swiss, Prince, nor Wilson shoes? They all make very high quality shoes which in most cases are of much higher quality than Nike shoes. They also tend to cost less, too. Why? Because when you buy a pair of $60 K-Swiss shoes, you just bought shoes worth all of its $60. You didn't have to pay the extra $50 "pro sponsorship tax", which goes to pay the pros' endorsement salaries, like Nike has to. These companies don't offer huge pro endorsement contracts. They put the money into the shoes themselves.

BTW, Sampras would have won 14 Grand Slams even if he worn a white, cotton T-shirt and New Balance or any brand of shoes.

I absolutely agree with your very last statement, but I have to dispute the first one, but only in a small way. Jan-Mike has just signed a clothing and shoe deal with Prince, so they supply him 100%. He seemed quite pleased when he told me about the deal last year, and admitted that he had worn Prince shoes, by choice, before adidas came along and offered him a contract. Also, there are a number of pros wearing K-Swiss shoes, but its mostly doubles players so no one really notices (Leach and MacPhie wear their clothes, not sure about the shoes). I don't know if any pros wear New Balance, but I sure see a lot of recreational players wearing them around my region, especially the women.

I have a vague memory of reading an article that stated it only costs about $20 to make a pair of sneakers, no matter what 'technology' is applied to them. I think it was one of those articles bringing attention to the working conditions of the factories in Asia that just about all shoe companies use (I think NB are still made in the US). Nike and Reebok were the focus because they are the most well known and the most expensive, and their workers were paid the least at that time. Adidas also got some flak for its use of kangaroo leather in its soccer shoes and what that is doing to the animals' population in Australia.

Back to the topic, I hope Andy stays with Reebok, but I would not be surprised if he goes to Nike, for the money.

BreakPoint
02-05-2005, 11:10 PM
Fee, you are correct. I was probably over generalizing a bit. I know there are a handful of pros that wear Prince, K-Swiss, and Wilson clothes and/or shoes. Lisa Raymond is another one that wears Prince shoes. I think Todd Martin wore Wilson clothes at the end of his career. However, your Jan-Mike story corroborates my claim. You said he actually prefers wearing Prince shoes (and probably bought them himself), but signed with Adidas to wear their shoes because they gave him a contract and paid him money to wear Adidas shoes, even though that was not his first choice as a performance shoe.

BTW, I highly doubt New Balance sponsors ANYONE since that is one of their claims to fame. They don't pay people to wear their stuff because they want their products to speak for themselves. I use to have a NB hat that said "New Balance: Endorsed by NO ONE". BTW2, only some NB shoes are made in the U.S., not all of them. Most are made in China like all the other manufacturers, except for some of the higher-end shoes.

Fee
02-06-2005, 12:05 AM
Thanks for the info about NB. I was too lazy (and sort of busy) to go looking for it. I've worn Wilson shoes to play tennis and I really liked them, but I am between sizes in Wilson and cannot make them fit (the extra socks thing does not work for me).

Yeah, JMG definitely implied that he wore Prince during his junior days and early tour days. These guys wear what they are paid to wear, and those without contracts wear what they can get cheaply and I hear nike gives decent deals to some of the guys on their plainer clothes. Andy has been wearing Reebok since he was a teenager (the slightly famous story of him telling a Reebok rep to sign him early because he would be famous some day - next day Reebok gave him a bag and a bunch of clothes), but he will switch if his agent and team think its the best thing to do. And the players don't have to worry how long the shoes last if they are given a new pair every week.

Nike Tennis2005
02-06-2005, 04:48 AM
whats the latest news?

AT92292
03-21-2008, 07:17 AM
This is really old but what was he thinking going with Lacoste

Volly master
03-21-2008, 07:23 AM
way to bump this thread..I thought it was real.

Katlion
03-21-2008, 07:24 AM
Not yet. You can wait until March, when his Reebok contract formally expires...
I thought Roddick was Lacoste....

BreakPoint
03-21-2008, 10:51 AM
This is really old but what was he thinking going with Lacoste
He was thinking about the dozen Ferraris he could buy with the money that Lacoste is paying him to wear its clothes. :shock:

caesar66
03-21-2008, 01:38 PM
what is with the theme of resurrecting old threads. Stop it folks!

str33t
03-21-2008, 01:40 PM
This thread fooled me.

Hewitt Aussie
03-21-2008, 01:54 PM
i heard that Roddick is going to go to Under Armour soon. He will wear their clothes and shoes.

Leelord337
03-21-2008, 01:57 PM
Roddick signed a 5 year 5 million dollar deal with lacoste in 2005

Hewitt Aussie
03-21-2008, 02:00 PM
so, he can break the contract. It could be 2010 when he switches also, i don't know how soon it is going to come. I could be wrong, but that's what i heard.

Lotto
03-21-2008, 02:25 PM
I thought Roddick was with Lacoste? I don't know.

A.J. Sim
03-21-2008, 03:30 PM
Roddick is NOT with Nike. He is endorsed by Lacoste. There is no news at the point whatsoever that he will sign with Nike. This was a REALLY old thread that somebody dug up when Roddick's contract ended with Reebok awhile ago. Only God knows why someone bumped a 3 year old discussion thread.

Fee
03-21-2008, 03:40 PM
so, he can break the contract. It could be 2010 when he switches also, i don't know how soon it is going to come. I could be wrong, but that's what i heard.

Where exactly did you hear it?

RoddickistheMan
03-21-2008, 03:44 PM
Good I dont like roddick in lacoste anyways.

Fee
03-21-2008, 03:59 PM
Good I dont like roddick in lacoste anyways.

You didn't read all of the posts on this page, did you?

TennisLover17
03-21-2008, 05:16 PM
Maybe Roddick should just borrow his coach's clothes then. :lol:

i lol'd at that one

Leelord337
03-21-2008, 06:52 PM
You didn't read all of the posts on this page, did you?

who does, lol

Babolast
03-21-2008, 09:19 PM
i heard that Roddick is going to go to Under Armour soon. He will wear their clothes and shoes.

Slim chance at best.

tennis159
03-22-2008, 07:33 PM
Roddick to Nike, please!!!! He gets payed a bloody fortune to wear lacoste, he wont switch to anything else soon!!

slice bh compliment
03-22-2008, 07:38 PM

You know what's funny? Whenever I wear white shorts and one of my black UA polos I feel like I'm dressing like Roddick, especially with the Babolat shoes.

Good thing I don't use a Pure Drive. Or wear a visor, LOL.

ANyway, the UA polos really do look like the Lacoste ones, only sans zipper. I do not think that would be a stretch.

BTW, I love the Babolat shoes. I don't see myself shelling out good money for Lacotse tennis shorts, though.

saram
03-22-2008, 08:13 PM
Roddick signed a 5 year 5 million dollar deal with lacoste in 2005

And Roger gets 13 million per year...says something about marketability, eh?:)

Fee
03-22-2008, 08:27 PM
Of course he won't. This is a very old thread that someone resurrected.

Leelord337
03-22-2008, 09:48 PM
You know what's funny? Whenever I wear white shorts and one of my black UA polos I feel like I'm dressing like Roddick, especially with the Babolat shoes.

Good thing I don't use a Pure Drive. Or wear a visor, LOL.

ANyway, the UA polos really do look like the Lacoste ones, only sans zipper. I do not think that would be a stretch.

BTW, I love the Babolat shoes. I don't see myself shelling out good money for Lacotse tennis shorts, though.

u might get lucky for cheap lacoste tennis shorts on the bay

beedlejuice22
03-29-2008, 06:14 AM

venus is doing her own clothing line now called EleVen. Rbk also has jankovic, vaidisova, and mauresmo.

RoddickistheMan
03-29-2008, 08:47 AM
venus is doing her own clothing line now called EleVen. Rbk also has jankovic, vaidisova, and mauresmo.

all they need is vaidisova, shes freaking bomb.