PDA

View Full Version : So about the linespersons...

bladepdb
09-02-2008, 08:13 PM
Why do they always dodge the ball hit straight at them even when they have to contort themselves into weird angles? It doesn't make sense why they can't just shield themselves....anyone know the reason for this?

baek57
09-02-2008, 09:20 PM
would you rather catch a ball at 80+ mph or move slightly to dodge it? also, they are usually signaling whether the ball was good or not.

bladepdb
09-03-2008, 05:44 AM
It's not that hard to signal with one hand while you ward off a ball with another. I've tried.

I also have a friend I play with who regularly serves over 100 mph, and I have to say even at the baseline the ball is significantly slowed down. This is natural...in fact, during the Wimbledon final this year they did a comparison of Federer's serve speed this year versus 03 or 04...his service speed was 125 mph and by the time it reached the baseline the speed was down to about 54 mph (in 03 or whenever it was about 60 mph, which was demonstrating how the Wimby grass has slowed down).

Now that's at the baseline...at the backboard you're adding another half a court's distance for the ball to cover.

So I fail to see your point =)

There has to be some random reason for this lol...I mean it's instinct to shield/catch because it's easier and biologically less taxing. The linespersons are doing this on purpose because it's simply not a natural stimulus.

bladepdb
09-03-2008, 06:51 PM
So I guess everyone's as stumped as I am?

bladepdb
09-05-2008, 10:06 PM
Bump...[10 chars]

baek57
09-05-2008, 10:15 PM
i dont think its easier to catch a ball than it is to dodge it.

bladepdb
09-08-2008, 06:26 PM
It's easier to deflect a ball though than it is to catch it. And unless you're playing dodgeball, deflecting is all game.

certifiedjatt
09-08-2008, 07:12 PM
i've wondered the same thing many times. there are times when they don't even move out of the path of the ball, even when they have plenty of time to do so. i see this a lot at wimbledon. it's like they're supposed to get hit instead of moving out of the way. maybe it's some sort of strict discipline or something or tennis tradition. like, respecting the ball, or something like that. there can't be a good reason for it.

W80
09-23-2008, 08:18 PM
I guess it comes down to reaction time

If you're standing at the back of the court not having to call the line, you see the ball off the racquet and gives you time to react by swatting etc.

If you're calling the line, you have to wait for the ball to bounce before you start moving. This gives you less time to react.

Finally... what if the ball is in? You're signalling with two hands, what are you going to use to deflect the ball?

baek57
09-23-2008, 08:53 PM
why get hit with a ball when you can dodge it?

raiden031
09-23-2008, 08:56 PM
Because a tennis ball hurts. Even if I try to catch a serve of a recreational player with my bare hands, sometimes it can hurt or jam my finger a little. I imagine getting beamed with pro serves time and time again would get old after a while.

ttbrowne
09-24-2008, 05:08 AM
Plus it just looks stupid.
Why not dodge the ball instead of holding up your hand?

StealthGnome
09-24-2008, 06:27 PM
Linesmen should be focused on where the ball hit the court. Eyes focused on the court, passively dodging the ball.

J-man
09-24-2008, 06:31 PM
Why do they always dodge the ball hit straight at them even when they have to contort themselves into weird angles? It doesn't make sense why they can't just shield themselves....anyone know the reason for this?It's kinda obvious, bud.