PDA

View Full Version : My opponent is just nuts...

soyizgood
09-02-2008, 10:18 PM
Tuesday and Thursday nights I usually play with a bunch of 3.0 level guys for doubles. There are a few 3.5 guys there, but most of these guys are recreational folks with some unusual strokes and crude techniques.

One guy ALWAYS wants to play singles against me (tonight I beat him 6-1). I really don't care to play against him. Nevermind we've played 23 sets and I've won 21 of them. Or that he has a weak backhand and very weak 2nd serve I exploit. He is almost always a complete jerk when we play.

His ego is bigger than his game. Quite a few times he'll find himself one point away from winning a game and I'll just fight back and break him. He has thrown his racquet at the net and one time flung it over the net which could have hit me. He'll mindlessly smack balls at my side after games out of frustration. He'll throw his racquet between points at times from unforced errors or if I made a good play. He's shattered two or three racquets playing against me. To even add to it, often at the end of sets he'll just leave the court without shaking hands and go right to his car pouting. So I have to pick up the balls by myself.

I can be a hothead at times myself. But I don't understand this guy (he's 20). He's not that good in my opinion yet he somehow expects to beat me and a couple other guys at singles, yet he almost never wins. He sometimes plays like a dog in doubles (lazy and/or goofy play), doesn't prepare himself at net/returning/transitioning properly, has lazy footwork, has a pathetic/weak one-handed backhand, and his volleying leaves much to be desired.

Should I just tell the guy to stop asking to play with me? Or should I just use him as a guinea pig as I work on additional techniques? Advice appreciated....

Phil
09-02-2008, 10:21 PM
This is an easy one to answer. Is playing with this guy an enjoyable experience? Obviously, it is not. There is no reason to play someone if it makes you miserable-to the point of venting about it on a tennis website. Tell him that you would prefer to play with someone else. End of story. Life is too short to put up with nuissances like this.

CanadianChic
09-02-2008, 10:31 PM
I agree with Phil. Spend your time with people who won't give you headaches. Life is too short! NEXT!

P.S. For a reasonable fee of 25.99 plus tax, you can purchase the latest copy of my book: Critical Thinking and Life Lessons. Vol. I

Fedace
09-02-2008, 10:32 PM
I think you at least owe him to let him know that you don't mind playing with him but he must stop his bad behavior. and that he must start acting like gentleman. If not, just tell him that you will no longer hit with him. you need to at least give him the chance to improve his behavior.

CanadianChic
09-02-2008, 10:33 PM
I think you at least owe him to let him know that you don't mind playing with him but he must stop his bad behavior. and that he must start acting like gentleman. If not, just tell him that you will no longer hit with him. you need to at least give him the chance to improve his behavior.

True, but at twenty, his opponent should already have this figured out.

lilminihorse
09-02-2008, 10:52 PM
I'd have fun with him... just sit back on the baseline and lob him to death till he hates playing you so bad he stops asking

Addi
09-02-2008, 11:50 PM
there are worse people in tennis than this guy. who was that guy that rickson complained about that is cheating all the time :rofl:

if you have a lot of leisure time just bagle him everytime you play against him and ask him why he's acting so foolish. at a certain point he will recognize his behavior and maybe improve. If you are short of leisure time don't waste it playing against him. there should be better and nicer people to play against around.

addi

Fedace
09-03-2008, 05:53 AM
there are worse people in tennis than this guy. who was that guy that rickson complained about that is cheating all the time :rofl:

if you have a lot of leisure time just bagle him everytime you play against him and ask him why he's acting so foolish. at a certain point he will recognize his behavior and maybe improve. If you are short of leisure time don't waste it playing against him. there should be better and nicer people to play against around.

addi

I agree with you. And that guy i know that went Psycho over the Stencil Ink. World is full of erratic nutty people

chess9
09-03-2008, 06:41 AM
True, but at twenty, his opponent should already have this figured out.

They haven't figured it out at 70, so what is special about 20? ;)

-Robert

soyizgood
09-03-2008, 04:24 PM
I'd have fun with him... just sit back on the baseline and lob him to death till he hates playing you so bad he stops asking

I ticked him off with a weak return off his serve that caught him flat-footed and landed for a winner. He probably would have flung his racquet when I did a chip n' charge off his serve with an easy FH volley winner, but the lights then went off and he stormed off the court without saying anything.

He wants pace, but I often frustrate him by stretching him wide, making him hit above or below his comfort zone for his forehand, and of course abusing his backhand. I have no fear of him coming to the net. Unless I play real bad, the sets are mine to win or lose. He claims he was #18 in the state in high school before he got injured, but he's talking out of his ***** because he has no reliable weapons, had no knowledge of the NTRP ratings, and spends money on different brands of racquets yet often only brings one racquet (he's borrowed my racquets a few times). He talks trash during sets in doubles, only to get egg on his face when he faces a challenge.

The last time him and I were doubles partners we lost 6-0 as he hit like a wuss bunting and half-swinging balls and making half-***** strokes at the net (he was in a bad mood because earlier he played doubles against a tennis instructor and got owned). He wasted his time and mine being such a biotch.

As you can tell, I have no sympathy for the guy when we play. I'm 10 years older than him, yet I'm faster, have better control, more weapons. He's gotten incrementally better over the 9 months we've played singles, but he's very predictable. In my opinion, he needs to challenge a few of the other guys that don't play singles much. That way he can build his confidence, get the other guys some experience, and could tweak certain flaws in his game. Otherwise, the same result is going to happen if he keeps trying the same tactics and style against me.

Addi
09-04-2008, 01:25 AM
sounds to me like a very interesting person to play against :lol:

man don't waste your time with those guys. I also loose a lot, because I usually play against players that are way better than I am. what I try to extract from those matches are the experiences that will make me a better player and help to improve my game so that I will eventually (maybe) beat those guys someday :) that is what's always on my mind during those games. and even when I get furious about my own game, I am always thankful to those people and appreciating them for spending their time and teaching me a lesson :oops:

addi

ttbrowne
09-04-2008, 08:15 AM
Hey, Quit playing with this NUT.

But before you do, play one last set and act like he does...just for fun. Afterwards, win or lose, just get in your car and drive off.

soyizgood
09-24-2008, 08:47 AM
Nutty opponent update:

Last night I got paired up with a short fat guy that I once yelled at in doubles. Our opponent was that nutty friend and a chop/slice-happy lazy guy.

The nutty guy was yelling "Come-on!" when he actually hit good shots. Then would well "Yeah!" when I messed up. I was determined to shut his ***** up. My side got it together and won 6-4 7-5. We should have clobbered these guys, but they did make it competitive. He accused me of cheating because I called a ball out and I was 3 feet away from it (which I got to anyway) while they're 40 feet away.

Then that nut wanted to rally with me for singles. I was in no mood to play as I twisted my left foot twice yesterday. And twisted the right foot as well. Even with that I'm pretty sure I'd kick his butt, as usual. I was on the phone while he waited for me on the other court. I didn't say I was going to hit with him.

The court was going to be used by two girls that were sitting on the bench. Him and I hit for a few minutes. I then approached the girls if they wanted to hit around. My friend was upset and he then changed his pants and left. Before he did that, he jawed at another of the guys and said I had much more game than that guy (which is true).

I don't know what he was thinking. He talked smacked against my team and lost. Then he passes up an opportunity to impress a couple of attractive young ladies that are beginner level. He gets frustrated and leaves, while I entertained the ladies and got their number to hook up for future encounters.:twisted:

topspin
09-24-2008, 09:01 AM
I'd suggest you just tell him that you want to enjoy playing tennis and not have to fear for your life due to flying racquets.

Worst case for me was one guy who broke 2 racquets during our match. We had never really played but he thought he was better than me. I won the 1st set and there goes one racquet smashed on the floor. He thought he'd get the 2nd set but I won that one as well; so there goes another racquet into the fence. It really is no fun. I get very agitated with such fools but I don't let them win by giving up on the match.

After the match, I told the guy openly that I want to enjoy playing and not have to see such classless behaviour. He kinda apologized but guess what? I never called him back to play and have not seen him since.

I've also dealt with my share of opponents who scream and yell whenever they miss a shot. In my opinion, this is a sign of extreme arrogance if done too often. It is like they are saying that they should not miss one of your shots.

I've also dealt with cheaters, mostly in tournaments. One guy called one of my shots 'out' when it was clearly inside the baseline. I let it slide but then he did it again. This time I approached the net and asked him if he was sure about his call. I did it in the most polite way possible yet he started to scream and yell and call the tournament director. Well I was all for the tournament director coming on court since I was being cheated. I had friends watching and they also said that my shots were clearly in and not even close to being out. After I said something, he stopped trying to cheat and made correct calls. I won the match.

pabletion
09-24-2008, 09:02 AM
Dude... if you've played with him so much you kinda know each other right? not gonna say youre "friends" but kinda buds, then why the heck cant you say something to him when u play and he starts implodint? I dont care for such behavior (specially if a racquet is thrown at net and almost hits me). I hate it when people smack balls back with some frustration to pass them at me, and I ALWAYS say something, not necessarily being a jerk, but mostly something like "dude, watch out, youre gonna fckin hit me! pass them calmly". Its discusting to play with someone like that. I would definitely say something, maybe when we were through playin, if you kinda know him, theres more trust, you can say something like "dude, you gotta calm down when were playin, or Im not gonna play with you anymore..."

soyizgood
09-24-2008, 10:36 AM
Dude... if you've played with him so much you kinda know each other right? not gonna say youre "friends" but kinda buds, then why the heck cant you say something to him when u play and he starts implodint? I dont care for such behavior (specially if a racquet is thrown at net and almost hits me). I hate it when people smack balls back with some frustration to pass them at me, and I ALWAYS say something, not necessarily being a jerk, but mostly something like "dude, watch out, youre gonna fckin hit me! pass them calmly". Its discusting to play with someone like that. I would definitely say something, maybe when we were through playin, if you kinda know him, theres more trust, you can say something like "dude, you gotta calm down when were playin, or Im not gonna play with you anymore..."

I'm not the most gentlemanly guy on the court either, so I'm not really in the position of taking the high road. I'm more calm in singles than I am in doubles. He goofs off and screws up in doubles and blows his lid in singles. At times I'll blow my lid in doubles mainly because I despise doubles and cringe at losing to folks I would cream in singles.

At some point, the price tag for being a hothead will sink in. It did for me after all the cheapies I've slammed over the years. The last time I broke a racquet was 4 or 5 months ago and I felt awful for that because I was going to have that racquet restrung that evening, it was because of one point in a game I still won, and I won that match 6-2 6-2.

He sets himself up for disaster. He talks trash, lied about being ranked so high (he might have been #18 on his tennis team, but not in California for d@mn sure), challenges people to sets he can't beat (me and three other guys), and won't put in the time necessary to improve. At least when I have a bad day playing I have an idea of what areas I want to improve on and work on them either alone or with random folks so there's less pressure on me to make adjustments.