PDA

View Full Version : Active Release Technique

mrw
09-03-2008, 09:37 AM
In a previous thread I discussed my frozen shoulder aka "adhesive capsulitis"

Painful it is. Suggested treatment was PT with home based stretches twice daily. I did this for about a month. PT twice a week, stretching twice a day. I plateaued in about a week.

Frustrated with my lack of progress, I looked around and found out about "Active Release Technique" this is performed by specially trained Chiropractors. It is a patented process that breaks up adhesions and involves the patient making specific moves while the Dr pushes into the affected area.

On a pain scale I'd give it a 5 on a scale of 10. On a success scale, I would rate it 10+ I walked out of the office with about 20% more mobility than when I went in. More treatments will be forthcoming.

Now, if you are recovering from ANY TYPE of surgery in which the joint becomes stiff,or any type of injury resulting in stiffness and loss of motion, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND you look into this. It cuts rehab time and restores full motion faster than anything I have seen.

Boxofweasels
09-08-2008, 09:52 AM
I used a local ART therapist when I tore my hamstring... it helped tremendously and I was back on the court in about 5 weeks. He also worked on my left shoulder and restored it to almost a full range of motion, something that I never thought would happen after I dislocated the shoulder in 1986 in a freak accident. Therapy hurt like a SOB as he was breaking up the old scar tissue but it's definitely worth it. I find that ART works best on old injuries that didn't heal right and as a preventative measure when you don't want an injury to heal the wrong way. I found it to be of no use when I injured my back, it's not really meant for muscle spasm type injuries.

onehandbh
09-08-2008, 10:23 PM
I've had great success w/A.R.T. Up until about 3 years ago, I was
playing a lot of basketball. One day I landed on a guys foot and my
right ankle rolled until the outer bone bounced off of the court.
It was pretty bad. After 4 weeks, it was still very swollen and super
painful. I went to an ART practitioner and after ONE session, I was
running around again and the guy told me I could go play tennis if I wanted
the next day. I did -- though very lightly. It made me decide to start playing
tennis again and quit basketball. My ex also had a long time bad lower
back and she was good after like 1 or 2 sessions. It doesn't cure
everything, but man it sure worked for me. I also hurt my shoulder b/c
like an idiot after not serving for a year+ I just start hitting them full speed.
Same thing 1 or 2 sessions and I was good.

mrw
09-09-2008, 03:32 AM
Yes, ART only works in situations where there are adhesions (scar tissue) impeding full movement of the joint. I am scheduled for my 2nd session tomorrow.

I am stoked that my range of motion is being restored but yes, there is discomfort involved in the process.

Topaz
09-09-2008, 06:53 AM
I actually had ART done on my foot when it was at its worst with plantar fasciitis. Some treatments were *very* painful (tears in my eyes), but it seemed to help me turn the corner, and while I still have intermittent pain, it is *nothing* like what I suffered before. Unfortunately, the doc I went to for ART charged a bit much for every session, and I stopped going. I would highly recommend ART though! *two thumbs up*

El Guapo
09-09-2008, 07:40 AM
Frustrated with my lack of progress, I looked around and found out about "Active Release Technique" this is performed by specially trained Chiropractors. It is a patented process that breaks up adhesions and involves the patient making specific moves while the Dr pushes into the affected area.

Total BS. Chiropractors have nothing to do with it.

Topaz
09-09-2008, 08:09 AM

Um, not BS. I believe what he was saying is the person who performed ART on him was a chiropracter who was trained in the technique. The person who administered my ART was also a chiropractor, trained not just in ART but also specializing in soft tissue and sports injuries.

Now, do you have something worthwhile to contribute, or no?

El Guapo
09-09-2008, 08:19 AM
"Active Release Technique" this is performed by specially trained Chiropractors.

Seems like the OP believes that Chiros are who to go to if you want ART. Chiros are probably the last people that I'd recommend because of their limited knowledge of anatomy.

mrw
09-09-2008, 08:26 AM

Yet oddly, I am getting this treatment from... wait for it....

a Chiropractor

El Guapo
09-09-2008, 08:35 AM
mrw, try reading, ******.

mrw
09-09-2008, 08:39 AM
Here, find a Chiro, MD or voodo princess that practices ART

http://www.coxtechnic.com/active.html

onehandbh
09-09-2008, 09:09 AM
^^^^ actually, if you are looking for an ART practitioner, go to the
official ART website. I'm not saying they're miracle healers, but for certain
types of soft tissue injuries it has done wonders for my friends and I.
You should have seen my ankle injury. It was brutal.

http://www.activerelease.com/providersearch.asp

MTChong
09-09-2008, 10:17 AM
It seems that this is helpful in improving range of motion where scar tissue builds up -- does it have any application to tennis elbow or golfer's elbow?

mrw
09-09-2008, 10:53 AM
It seems that this is helpful in improving range of motion where scar tissue builds up -- does it have any application to tennis elbow or golfer's elbow?

The technique involves the practioner sort of poking into the area and breaking up the adhesions or scar tissue so I don't believe that it would help other issues.

my next appointment is tomorrow & i will ask the Doc that specific question.
Check tomorrow evening for her response to me

MTChong
09-09-2008, 07:52 PM
Awesome thanks. Even if it can't help the elbow, I have some limitations in range of movement for my hitting shoulder, and I'm not even 20 yet! A doctor I saw when I had some shoulder issues stated that I probably have some scar tissue build-up. So I may have to keep it in mind for the future!

mrw
09-10-2008, 06:36 AM
2nd treatment today. A bit more painful than the first but bareable without question. Certain aspects of my shoulder now actually flex easier than my right one. Per the Doc, parts of my shoulder have a hege amount of scar tissue so that explains the lack of proper movement in certain motions. She feels that she will be able to restore full motion over time. I return on Friday AM for #3

MT Chong ... she said that in certain tennis elbow injuries ART is helpfull but each needs an individual evaluation.

rasajadad
09-10-2008, 12:41 PM
I had ART done on my arm for serious TE. This was the only thing that produced immediate results in that I felt better walking out of the office than when I went in. And yes, like most sufferers, I tried a whole list of possible remedies, treatments, and therapies.