PDA

View Full Version : String reviews from USRSA?

wt888usa
02-02-2005, 06:47 AM
i was reading your string reviews and noticed they were from USRSA but couldn't find a website for them.

"The average score was good enough to vault X-One Biphase into fourth place of all the strings we've tested."

if x-one biphase is 4th, who's 3rd, 2nd, and 1st? the question i'm asking is what are their list ratings for overall (like which string rated the best overall)? and also in their other categories? are there lists you can put up like (top 10 in playability, top 10 in comfort, top 10 in spin potential, etc....)?

TW Staff
02-02-2005, 09:47 AM
Thanks for the suggestion.
We are currently working on adding such information to provide a reference for the info in the reviews.

Chris, TW.

wt888usa
02-02-2005, 05:15 PM
cool, looking forward to seeing it!

Steve Huff
02-02-2005, 08:39 PM
While I respect the USRSA for trying to give some objective rating to strings, I feel too many are left out, and too many other factors play a part in string play that is just not accounted for.
1. I did not see Laserfibre strings in the survey. I don't know if high volume shops don't use LF, or if there's some political reason they aren't included.
2. There's too much incentive to rate the strings that make you the most money the highest. Naturally, if you make $20 on string G and only $15 on string P, you want string G to rate higher so your customers can see the chart and opt for it more. You really don't want your customers using a string that makes you the least amount of money.
3. Stringers rate the playability, etc of the strings, not the players. True, most stringers have used these strings, but they're only allowed to submit their findings on strings they have strung more than 20 sets that year. That doesn't mean the stringer has used 20 sets. The stringer may have used it only once. So, as for myself, I'd rate BDE Natural and Laserfibre Supreme well ahead of TF BiPhase, but since I've only strung 15 sets, I am not allowed to submit that string's results. This is the singlemost reason that the survey, in my opinion, has errors. I may play with 8 strings an equal amount of time in one year, but I am only allowed to include the ones that sold over 20 sets per year to customers. And even if a customer comes in a says "this string plays really well" or "this string stinks", how can the stringer interpret that into a numeric range for someone else. In turn, it doesn't become the customer's rating, it becomes the stringer's rating, based on a few comments (not everyone makes comments, some just drop their racket off to be strung).
4. The manufacturer's rep from one company may be better than his counterparts. He may give you more samples, more prizes and other freebee's, etc, so you want him to do better with your business. So, you subconsciously rate his strings higher.
5. Some strings that you string alot (ie. Prince Synthetic) may be strings you personally, never use. Yet, you get to rate their playability and their durability.
So, I'd take them with a grain of salt. Try out what you sell. Your opinion is what YOUR customers rely on. Not all us other yahoos that send in string test results. Customers need to be able to trust the stringer's opinion, so the stringer has an obligation to form an opinion based on as little bias as possible.