PDA

View Full Version : Which Tennis Camp?

twocents
02-02-2005, 07:06 AM
We have about 8 guys that play Usta that want to got to a camp before the season starts (end of May). We are all between a 4.0 and 4.5 level. Our ages run from 30 to 50. We want to go sometime in April (possibly March).
We live in Cleveland and are willing to travel the 14 hours to South Carolina if necessary. We are all in pretty good shape and don't need any frills.
Any suggestions?

atatu
02-02-2005, 08:10 AM
I've heard good things about Sea Colony in Delaware, not as far as S.C. If you do want to go to S.C. I know a guy who went to the Van Der Meer "World Class Adult Drill" session and enjoyed it. Check Tennis Resorts online for details.

tennis-n-sc
02-06-2005, 04:38 PM
Kiawah Island in South CArolina is excellent for teams. Great doubles instruction and they have team packages.

Geezer Guy
02-17-2005, 01:08 PM
TennisResortsOnline.com is a good place to start.

However, I highly recommend John Newcombe's Tennis Ranch between Austin and San Antonio, Texas. If you want lots of great tennis, this is the place. The food and accomodations are both included in the price. The food is very good - buffet style, the accomodations are fine (not luxury). Especially if you don't have any non-tennis players along, everyone will have a great time. If you're packing non-tennis playing wives and girl-friends, they might be a bit bored unless they want to just hang out at the pool or go shopping/siteseeing in San Antonio or Austin, which is only a short drive.

I've been there twice, and really enjoyed it both times. And I can tell that it really helped my game.

TommyGun
02-19-2005, 02:03 AM
Great recommendation Geezer Guy! Newk's place is a great way to have fun AND learn something. Gotta hand it to the Aussie...

Having said that, Delaware will be too cold at that time, so Hilton Head area is best. Just about any facility there will give you good courts, good weather and enough practice that your team will be ready for the season in "the mistake by the lake" (I lived in Toledo for some time, so let the Lucas County come out of me a little.) LOL!

joehight
03-02-2005, 03:51 PM
I've heard good things about Sea Colony in Delaware, not as far as S.C. If you do want to go to S.C. I know a guy who went to the Van Der Meer "World Class Adult Drill" session and enjoyed it. Check Tennis Resorts online for details.

Two or three of us guys at my tennis club in Northern Virginia are looking for a tennis camp drill session. We have been to a Van Der Meer camp in Sweetbriar College in Virginia several times now and are looking for a chanage this time. We were thinking of Sea Colony in Delaware. Do you have any details on the program there? Specifically the caliber of the instruction and the actual amount of time you get with teaching pros. Anything else that would be helpful to us in making a choice?

Audiodude
03-02-2005, 06:14 PM
Two or three of us guys at my tennis club in Northern Virginia are looking for a tennis camp drill session. We have been to a Van Der Meer camp in Sweetbriar College in Virginia several times now and are looking for a chanage this time. We were thinking of Sea Colony in Delaware. Do you have any details on the program there? Specifically the caliber of the instruction and the actual amount of time you get with teaching pros. Anything else that would be helpful to us in making a choice?

I also live and play in Northern Virginia and have been considering going to a three to four day camp. I'm looking for something fairly intense. How would you characterize the Van Der Meer camp, and how did you like it?

joehight
03-03-2005, 05:52 AM
I also live and play in Northern Virginia and have been considering going to a three to four day camp. I'm looking for something fairly intense. How would you characterize the Van Der Meer camp, and how did you like it?

I've gone to the Van Der Meer camp at Sweetbriar four different times. The first three times were adult week long programs. The first year was by far the best experience. The tennis was intense and conditions were very demanding - six hours a day on the courts in summer heat. The instruction and drills were very well thought out. We got some one on one time with one of the teaching pros. One problem was the wide variation in the ablitity level of the attendees. They did attempt to separate us by ability level, but if you got stuck in a group below your level you would not get enough out of the drills. However, you can ask to be placed in a different group.

In each subsequent year, the number attending this camp dropped off and Van Der Meer finally stopped offering the adult week long program at Sweetbriar, although you can still get it at Hilton Head. And in the first year there was free Sam Adams beer in the evening at a campus bistro. In subsequent years, the bistro was not open, but there was free beer with the evening meal.

Last year I settled for the adult drill and play weekend. This was a pretty good deal. Got to hit a lot of balls. Because the drill and play weekend is billed at a minimum NTRP (I think it is 4.0 or 4.5) the range of ablities was less of a problem. Dennis Van Der Meer himself showed up at this camp.

Food and lodging is included in the package if you opt for it. The food is plentiful, wholesome, and quite good. The lodging is college dorm rooms with communal showers and baths down the hall. You can stay offsite if you wish.

All in all its a good deal. Too bad they no longer run the adult week long program.

Where do you play? I play at the Annandale Sport and Health club at Little River Turnpike and Ravensworth Road. Also at public courts around the area.

Audiodude
03-03-2005, 09:21 AM
I've gone to the Van Der Meer camp at Sweetbriar four different times. The first three times were adult week long programs. The first year was by far the best experience. The tennis was intense and conditions were very demanding - six hours a day on the courts in summer heat. The instruction and drills were very well thought out. We got some one on one time with one of the teaching pros. One problem was the wide variation in the ablitity level of the attendees. They did attempt to separate us by ability level, but if you got stuck in a group below your level you would not get enough out of the drills. However, you can ask to be placed in a different group.

In each subsequent year, the number attending this camp dropped off and Van Der Meer finally stopped offering the adult week long program at Sweetbriar, although you can still get it at Hilton Head. And in the first year there was free Sam Adams beer in the evening at a campus bistro. In subsequent years, the bistro was not open, but there was free beer with the evening meal.

Last year I settled for the adult drill and play weekend. This was a pretty good deal. Got to hit a lot of balls. Because the drill and play weekend is billed at a minimum NTRP (I think it is 4.0 or 4.5) the range of ablities was less of a problem. Dennis Van Der Meer himself showed up at this camp.

Food and lodging is included in the package if you opt for it. The food is plentiful, wholesome, and quite good. The lodging is college dorm rooms with communal showers and baths down the hall. You can stay offsite if you wish.

All in all its a good deal. Too bad they no longer run the adult week long program.

Where do you play? I play at the Annandale Sport and Health club at Little River Turnpike and Ravensworth Road. Also at public courts around the area.

The weekend session sounds pretty appealing. I may give that a shot. During the winter I play mostly at Fairfax Racquet Club. I make my way up to Wakefield during the warmer months. I also play at my neighbor's court. Drop me an e mail if you'd like to hit sometime. Audiodude1@aol.com

twocents
03-04-2005, 04:49 AM
Do any of you know anything about Wintergreen Tennis Club in Virginia?
Good or Bad?
We booked it for 3 days. We talked to the pro and it sounds like we got a good deal. It had good ratings on tennisresorts.com.. Six of us rented rented the house there for 3 days. It looks awesome on their website.

Kaptain Karl
03-04-2005, 07:57 AM
You guys are great. I love how unselfish you all are with each other. This thread is just one more example. Consider you each awarded an "Atta-boy" (or an "Atta-girl").

- KK

panthertennis
03-05-2005, 01:17 PM
i would recommend staying at the hilton ocean front resort in palmetto dunes, and taking the clinics at van der meer. hilton head is beautiful, the resort is affordable, right on the beach, there are tons of courts available in palmetto dunes, just a short walk out of your hotel, and van der meer is only a five minute drive. pat and dennis are usually there, dennis is still very energetic, and the tennis is awesome.

wao
03-11-2005, 09:26 AM
If you are that serious about tennis Saddlebrook is that place.

matchpoints
03-22-2005, 06:49 PM
twocents, please let us know how you like that place.

twocents
03-24-2005, 04:22 AM
Thanks for all your feedback.
The six voted (2 backed out)and it came down to Wintergeen.
We are going from April 25 thru April 27. It's 1/2 the distance to SC and we are getting a 1 instuctor to 3 ratio. It's all indoors so we don't have to worry about the weather. We have 2 hrs of instruction in the am and 3 hrs instruction in the afternoon for 3 days. If anyone's interested I'll let you know how it went when we come back.

tiadeserbia
04-21-2005, 08:39 PM
Did anyone of you have any experience in tennis camps here on east coast?

goober
01-22-2007, 07:56 AM
What's the best tennis resort for a family vacation where most of the members are nontennis players?

Anyone try Tops'l?