PDA

View Full Version : Indoor Court Fees

NotAtTheNet
09-03-2008, 07:05 PM
Hi all,
I'm working on this business model for an indoor tennis facility by converting a warehouse for my MBA. I've got the all walk-in model down (5 bucks per person for 2 hours of play) and that actually could turn a profit, but my monthly membership model is losing money like the titanic. How much would you pay a month for court access to an 6-8 court A/C'ed indoor facility?

The set up is for Miami, yes lots of sun (maybe too much) but lots of unpredictable rain as well. I've been rained out 3 times now in the middle of a match! Not on south beach, or the gables or doral, but out west in the suburbs of west kendall where its a bit more quiet, and lots of homes and neighborhoods. The surface of course would be your traditional hard court surface. There would be large netting or fences between each court for ball control with stringing and ball machine rental on site. Also high speed video camera recording of matches, groundstroke drills, and lessons are available on premise for a low extra cost (something like 20 bucks for an hour with minimal editing, an extra 20 for slow motion and other dartfish like capabilities, see my sig, I'm a nut for taping all my groundstrokes and serves to analyze).

Only drawback is that the ceiling for the warehouse i'd like to convert is 36-40', which probably not regulation.

Thanks guys, maybe if the numbers workout well and I get an A+, I'll bring it to fruition.

edit
wow, i guess i forgot about the tennis demographic... I'm a middle class guy, who learned a bit from 10 buck class lessons when i was young and when i was ignored and not taught more advance techniques bc my rents wouldn't pony up for more expensive private lessons, i quit classes and figured out the strokes for myself. I really want to make tennis accessible to everyone... I feel its an amazing sport, i mean where can you run around back and forth like a madman, get to hit things, and employ strategy like kinetic chess! I mean I wouldn't pay more than 30 bucks a month for a gym membership... but i guess i'm in the minority on alot of things

Klatu Verata Necktie
09-03-2008, 07:19 PM
For the size that it would need to be and the costs associated with AC, maintenance, etc, you'd need to charge a good deal more than $35 just to break even.

I would also question the Tamiami Airport location for the site of an indoor tennis facility. First, it's not a dense population area. Second, would it cater to your target market?

NotAtTheNet
09-03-2008, 07:26 PM
For the size that it would need to be and the costs associated with AC, maintenance, etc, you'd need to charge a good deal more than $35 just to break even.

I would also question the Tamiami Airport location for the site of an indoor tennis facility. First, it's not a dense population area. Second, would it cater to your target market?

Very good points, but I used to actually run a production and tech company in a warehouse in there and the rent was really cheap. I figure since I drive over there and I'm a member of the indoor rock climbing gym, something similar for tennis would fit as well. That whole area on 137th ave and 120th street is booming with the new developments and also local middle/upper class neighborhoods like country walk, hammocks, calusa, kendall breeze and others in kendall within a 12 mile radius.

I'm just trying to guage how much people would pay a month to see if the numbers would actually work.

Voltron
09-03-2008, 07:31 PM
I'd pay about $40 or so per month, especially if you added a fitness or a partnership with a gym, I'd probably pay even more.

:edit: looking at my current dues, I'd pay at least $40, and would probably pay up to $80 if I had to.

J011yroger
09-03-2008, 07:32 PM
I pay over $35 a month for the privelage of paying $25-30/hour instead of the $50-60/hour that non members pay for court time.

And the privelage of paying almost $2000 for a 1.5 hour block of time on monday nights for the indoor season.

J

FloridaAG
09-04-2008, 05:14 AM
If this double posts, I am sorry, I voted while typing a response. You should consider seasonal price differentiation. There is no (little) need for indoor courts here in the winter, less in the fall and spring, while there is a need in the summer. I would pay $100 or more in the summer months to insure no rain outs etc., but my concern is far less in the other months. So you could do seasonal packages or have the price vary with the season.

TheShaun
09-04-2008, 05:48 AM
similar to j-rog here.

you have to buy a booking card that allows you to book the court 1 week in advance, otherwise you can only book 24 hours in advance. and then the court fees around here are in the $20/h range. the cost of the booking card depends on the facility and the type of membership it is. without joining a club you're about $140 for 3-4 month card.