PDA

View Full Version : It's time for tennis players to talk like politicians

heycal
09-03-2008, 10:23 PM
I am so sick of all these polite and respectful and bland players always complimenting their opponents in pre or post game matches, always talking about how tough it will be to win, how talented the other player is, and other such boring drivel.

Just once I'd like to see someone in one of those hallway pre-match interviews bad mouth their opponents and express complete confidence that they are going to win, just like the presidential candidates do. Instead of "Jones is a great player, so I'm just going to try and play my game and hope for the best" why can't they say "Jones sucks, and his backhand is particularly pathetic. I'm going to take him out in straight sets, wipe out the next clown I face, and then it's on to the final and I'm going to win there too!"

SlapShot
09-04-2008, 07:28 AM
Can you imagine if Fed pulled a Howard Dean? It'd be terribly appropriate.

"First, we're gonna win Wimbledon. Then, we'll win the U.S. Open. And then, we're going to take the French. Hyah!"

heycal
09-04-2008, 07:34 AM
Can you imagine if Fed pulled a Howard Dean? It'd be terribly appropriate.

"First, we're gonna win Wimbledon. Then, we'll win the U.S. Open. And then, we're going to take the French. Hyah!"

Exactly!

The other thing that bugs me is how emotionally boring and lovey dovey the Williams sister's matches against each other are, and how they feel bad for the other one if they lose, blah blah.

I don't get it. You pit me against my brother, and that's a guy I want to beat more than most and there's gonna be some fun emotion out there. Bring it on, bro!

amx13
09-04-2008, 08:45 AM
Check out what Roddick said about Djokovic "injuries", its not exactly "I'm going to take him out in straight sets, wipe out the next clown I face" (wich would be really fun IMO) but its far away from the usual pre-game complimenting.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news;_ylt=Aq7MHMxwRdOvTn4Ysiv68O44v7YF?slug=ys-nydnroddick090408&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

AAAA
09-04-2008, 08:55 AM
Considering the high profile, wholesome prestige brands that sponsor the tour and players I reckon the players are 'gagged' or influenced by contracts to a certain degree as the sponsors/brands don't want their show ponies to do anything which the press will build up as a poor reflection of the sponsoring brand.

rommil
09-04-2008, 09:44 AM
I am so sick of all these polite and respectful and bland players always complimenting their opponents in pre or post game matches, always talking about how tough it will be to win, how talented the other player is, and other such boring drivel.

Just once I'd like to see someone in one of those hallway pre-match interviews bad mouth their opponents and express complete confidence that they are going to win, just like the presidential candidates do. Instead of "Jones is a great player, so I'm just going to try and play my game and hope for the best" why can't they say "Jones sucks, and his backhand is particularly pathetic. I'm going to take him out in straight sets, wipe out the next clown I face, and then it's on to the final and I'm going to win there too!"

Haha it wouldn't be pretty if a player says "Jones sucks" and ends up losing to Jones. Unlike politicians, tennis players do a lot of work and exertion to get where they are and they realize the other players are too. Maybe if Spadea and a lot more talent and achievement I could maybe see him talking smack.

heycal
09-04-2008, 10:40 AM
Unlike politicians, tennis players do a lot of work and exertion to get where they are and they realize the other players are too.

What you talking about, Willis? Most candidates, particularly at the presidential candidate level, have spent far more time and energy and worked for years to get where they are than have tennis players. You think a couple of years at the Bolletieri tennis academy to hone their natural gifts is equivalent to multi-decade careers spent rising to the top of the public servant ladder?

rommil
09-04-2008, 09:26 PM
What you talking about, Willis? Most candidates, particularly at the presidential candidate level, have spent far more time and energy and worked for years to get where they are than have tennis players. You think a couple of years at the Bolletieri tennis academy to hone their natural gifts is equivalent to multi-decade careers spent rising to the top of the public servant ladder?

Politicians working? More like @sskissing and spewing BS here and there. Anyways, see what happens when somebody e.g. Roddick even tries to joke about something?

Hot Sauce
09-04-2008, 09:47 PM
I
did not have
sexual relations with heycal.

heycal
09-04-2008, 11:40 PM
I
did not have
sexual relations with heycal.

Yet. .