PDA

View Full Version : Elton John and Lily Allen getting into it!

ttbrowne
09-04-2008, 02:53 AM
Here's the video of Lily Allen and Elton John getting into it at the GQ awards...wow. (language)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuPX37WmtvI&eurl

ChipNCharge
09-04-2008, 06:26 AM
Here's the video of Lily Allen and Elton John getting into it at the GQ awards...wow. (language)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuPX37WmtvI&eurl

Cat fight!!

Dedans Penthouse
09-04-2008, 09:26 AM
Advisory: Lily Allen fans--do not read.

Elton John and Lily Allen:
"Lady and The Tramp"

Wow, only 2 albums into her career and she's already a self-absorbed, "derivative" trainwreck. Lily Monster appears to be developing--and very nicely mind you--an Amy Winehouse-type "crust."

if you'd like, check out the bibulous Alt-Diva's website: www.lilyallenmusic.com ... you will be audibly greeted by the song "Littlest Things," with its pleasant, piano-based intro. Upon hearing it, TWO songs immediatly jumped into my head and I thought: "wow, what a blatant "lift" of Cat Steven's 'Wild World'" and then for some reason, I started singing: "Karma Police, arrest this girl, her 'rip-off' intro, is making me feel ill..." :neutral:

Though I will admit her album has a FEW good tunes (10 second "who cares?" review below) and the pig-o-la does have some "pipes," this imnsho, is "Lauren Hill-Light" wrapped (rapped?) in a Cockney accent.....yeah, it's "slick"........yeah, it "PRO-fessional" ........ yeah, it's ........... whatever...... yawn :neutral: ..... granted, your mileage may vary.....

D.P. "who cares?" 10 sec. review
LP-Alright, Still/Lily Allen
1. "Smile" - Lauren Hill's either laughing somewhere or thinking: "WTF?"
2. "Knock 'em Out" - obnoxious & self-conscious w/lame vocal overdubs
3. "LDN" - totally lame .... it's not-so-heavy "dark" lyrical imagery aside ... is this Lisa Loeb or Patty Duke, mon?
4. "Everthing Just Wonderful" - nice; I like this
5. "Not Big" - catchy, saccharine pop
6. "Friday Night" - Lightweight Ska; Fergie meets Deborah Harry
7. "Shame For You" -- z-z-z-z.....should retitle: "The Snooze Shuffle"
8. "Littlest Things" (see "rip-off" comments above)
9. "Take What You Want" - not great; not bad.....formulaic
10. "Friend of Mine" - Lisa Stansfield meets Marley
11. "Alfie" - "precious" i.e. trite bubble-gum
12. "Nan You're a Window Shopper" - great title. However, when compared to The Clash's "Guns of Brixton" ... well, she should've left it there....

my 'who cares?' 2 cents-wink

I maybe able to screw with an Allen wrench but definitely not with an Allen wretch.

Ignorant Genius
09-04-2008, 04:38 PM
Advisory: Lily Allen fans--do not read.

Elton John and Lily Allen:
"Lady and The Tramp"

Wow, only 2 albums into her career and she's already a self-absorbed, "derivative" trainwreck. Lily Monster appears to be developing--and very nicely mind you--an Amy Winehouse-type "crust."

if you'd like, check out the bibulous Alt-Diva's website: www.lilyallenmusic.com ... you will be audibly greeted by the song "Littlest Things," with its pleasant, piano-based intro. Upon hearing it, TWO songs immediatly jumped into my head and I thought: "wow, what a blatant "lift" of Cat Steven's 'Wild World'" and then for some reason, I started singing: "Karma Police, arrest this girl, her 'rip-off' intro, is making me feel ill..." :neutral:

Though I will admit her album has a FEW good tunes (10 second "who cares?" review below) and the pig-o-la does have some "pipes," this imnsho, is "Lauren Hill-Light" wrapped (rapped?) in a Cockney accent.....yeah, it's "slick"........yeah, it "PRO-fessional" ........ yeah, it's ........... whatever...... yawn :neutral: ..... granted, your mileage may vary.....

D.P. "who cares?" 10 sec. review
LP-Alright, Still/Lily Allen
1. "Smile" - Lauren Hill's either laughing somewhere or thinking: "WTF?"
2. "Knock 'em Out" - obnoxious & self-conscious w/lame vocal overdubs
3. "LDN" - totally lame .... it's not-so-heavy "dark" lyrical imagery aside ... is this Lisa Loeb or Patty Duke, mon?
4. "Everthing Just Wonderful" - nice; I like this
5. "Not Big" - catchy, saccharine pop
6. "Friday Night" - Lightweight Ska; Fergie meets Deborah Harry
7. "Shame For You" -- z-z-z-z.....should retitle: "The Snooze Shuffle"
8. "Littlest Things" (see "rip-off" comments above)
9. "Take What You Want" - not great; not bad.....formulaic
10. "Friend of Mine" - Lisa Stansfield meets Marley
11. "Alfie" - "precious" i.e. trite bubble-gum
12. "Nan You're a Window Shopper" - great title. However, when compared to The Clash's "Guns of Brixton" ... well, she should've left it there....

my 'who cares?' 2 cents-wink

I maybe able to screw with an Allen wrench but definitely not with an Allen wretch.

I don't consider myself a true fan of hers, but I do like the album. The guy who runs this web site - http://www.wwtdd.com/index.phtml?t=LILY+ALLEN appears to be quite the fan, so let's hope he doesn't see your review as it may hurt his feelings.

I read your 10 sec. review (p-yew) and it does indeed appear that you put all of 10 secs. into it. But it had to take you longer than that just to type your tripe, err, review. But I digress...

I think your comments are off the mark for the most part, but there's no accounting for taste, is there?

Oui, c'est moi.
09-04-2008, 05:18 PM
How dare she speak that way to Elton. He's like an aunt to me.

Ignorant Genius
09-04-2008, 05:43 PM

Ever see Tantrums and Tiaras? It's hilarious, even though it isn't meant to be.

http://www.thepostcard.com/gofetch/rack/rc014.jpg

Hot Sauce
09-04-2008, 06:11 PM
Elton is a legend. You can't do that to him. He made Benny and the Jets.

Dedans Penthouse
09-08-2008, 07:47 AM
I don't consider myself a true fan of hers, but I do like the album. The guy who runs this web site - http://www.wwtdd.com/index.phtml?t=LILY+ALLEN appears to be quite the fan, so let's hope he doesn't see your review as it may hurt his feelings.

I read your 10 sec. review (p-yew) and it does indeed appear that you put all of 10 secs. into it. But it had to take you longer than that just to type your tripe, err, review. But I digress...

I think your comments are off the mark for the most part, but there's no accounting for taste, is there?My "TRIPE?"

And just exactly who are you, mr. tin ear? Whether you like the album or not is not the point. Your opinion is just that: your opinion; nothing more, nothing less. So when I offer my opinion of an artist/album--nothing more, nothing less--and further, harmlessly refer to my "review" in low-key fashion by describing it upfront as "who cares?," then I'd think you'd treat it as such; nothing more, nothing less. If my 'review' doesn't jibe with yours, so be it, but you deciding to to take it to the next (personal) level what with your sneering 'tripe' references suggests that the gloves from here on end are off. Don't lump me in with your equally sneering, condescending friends of the liberal persuasion (ej, superstition, tony b, et al) from the politically/partisan-corrupted Rants 'n Raves section.

Should you chose to needlessly get personal with yours truly, well, that's your call, at which point I can only repeat my "who cares?" opinion/review (as well as add a "personal" addendum). Much of that album (not all) is Laruen Hill--light and trite. As for you, I'm sure your musical scholarship/credibility is "Julliard" standard (wink), so to that end I'll sing off by invoking the humorous musical adage: "when it comes to music, it's usually the cripples that want to lead the dance." Lastly, know your enemies before needlessly getting personal I.G.. That is, save your animus for the creeps (not including Phil) in Rants 'n Raves. I'll leave it at that.

Ignorant Genius
09-08-2008, 11:24 AM
My "TRIPE?"

And just exactly who are you, mr. tin ear? Whether you like the album or not is not the point. Your opinion is just that: your opinion; nothing more, nothing less. So when I offer my opinion of an artist/album--nothing more, nothing less--and further, harmlessly refer to my "review" in low-key fashion by describing it upfront as "who cares?," then I'd think you'd treat it as such; nothing more, nothing less. If my 'review' doesn't jibe with yours, so be it, but you deciding to to take it to the next (personal) level what with your sneering 'tripe' references suggests that the gloves from here on end are off. Don't lump me in with your equally sneering, condescending friends of the liberal persuasion (ej, superstition, tony b, et al) from the politically/partisan-corrupted Rants 'n Raves section.

Should you chose to needlessly get personal with yours truly, well, that's your call, at which point I can only repeat my "who cares?" opinion/review (as well as add a "personal" addendum). Much of that album (not all) is Laruen Hill--light and trite. As for you, I'm sure your musical scholarship/credibility is "Julliard" standard (wink), so to that end I'll sing off by invoking the humorous musical adage: "when it comes to music, it's usually the cripples that want to lead the dance." Lastly, know your enemies before needlessly getting personal I.G.. That is, save your animus for the creeps (not including Phil) in Rants 'n Raves. I'll leave it at that.

Who cares? Obviously you cares, otherwise you would have laughed off my little tripe swipe comment. Instead you got all uppity and took things as personal.........did my little tripe comment really hurt your feelings that much? In a who cares laissez-faire type of conversation are we not allowed a bit of lattitude with our attitude? Apparently you've got some rules here and I wasn't copied on the memo.

As I stated, there's no accounting for taste, so I have no problem if you think she sounds Lauren-lite. I (Mr. Tin Ear) happen to like the record and for the record so do most music critics. Don't appreciate her music? Not a problem...just say so. Calling her a "pig-o-la" and a "rip-off artist".....well that's just un-needed sniping and triping. And a lot of extra typing.

Yours truly in friendship and music,

Mr. Ignorant Genius

Dedans Penthouse
09-08-2008, 02:02 PM
"Lattitude with our attitude?" Ok, fair enough. Then spare me the "fan club member" angst regarding my "pig-o-la" and "rip-off artist" comments; I still maintain they have (some) validity to them. But having said that, hey don't fret "fan club member," I mean I wasn't ALL doom and gloom.... I mean I DID say that the porcine crooner "had pipes" and I did describe the rip-off tune "Littlest Things" intro as having a 'pleasant piano-based into' ...... even if I then called it on it's throughly "lifted," yes LIFTED premise. As for my "it's slick" .... "it's professional" comments: well they were to illustrate my contention that big budget/big studio backing doesn't automatically equate with what constitutes "great performance." As for 'PRO-FESSHINAL music critics' sanctioning Allen, well, as brilliant as some of them critics are (scholarship-wise), their ranks nevertheless also include rubber stamp "gimme tix!" shills; the same shills who'll TELL both you and I which end is up respective to, for example, some "ultra hip" musical-gift-from-heaven (read: hyped) such as The Strokes, etc.. In short, 15 minutes of fame (with the attendant hype) don't carry much equity to my way of thinking. Let's see her in 5-7 years, then you can wave your "fan club member" badge in my face.

as for "pig-o-la" comment itself ? ........ well, res ipsa loquitur .......... ;-)

Ok, my turn: don't YOU take my tweaking some cocknified drunk who wouldn't know you if she fell (presumably drunk) over you so personally either. :razz:

Ignorant Genius
09-08-2008, 03:25 PM
"Lattitude with our attitude?" Ok, fair enough. Then spare me the "fan club member" angst regarding my "pig-o-la" and "rip-off artist" comments; I still maintain they have (some) validity to them. But having said that, hey don't fret "fan club member," I mean I wasn't ALL doom and gloom.... I mean I DID say that the porcine crooner "had pipes" and I did describe the rip-off tune "Littlest Things" intro as having a 'pleasant piano-based into' ...... even if I then called it on it's throughly "lifted," yes LIFTED premise. As for my "it's slick" .... "it's professional" comments: well they were to illustrate my contention that big budget/big studio backing doesn't automatically equate with what constitutes "great performance." As for 'PRO-FESSHINAL music critics' sanctioning Allen, well, as brilliant as some of them critics are (scholarship-wise), their ranks nevertheless also include rubber stamp "gimme tix!" shills; the same shills who'll TELL both you and I which end is up respective to, for example, some "ultra hip" musical-gift-from-heaven (read: hyped) such as The Strokes, etc.. In short, 15 minutes of fame (with the attendant hype) don't carry much equity to my way of thinking. Let's see her in 5-7 years, then you can wave your "fan club member" badge in my face.

as for "pig-o-la" comment itself ? ........ well, res ipsa loquitur .......... ;-)

Ok, my turn: don't YOU take my tweaking some cocknified drunk who wouldn't know you if she fell (presumably drunk) over you so personally either. :razz:

The "pig-o-la" comment definitely carries some validity as sure as Lily is carrying a few extra pounds around. But just in case you're ever thinking of submitting one of your "10 sec reviews" for publication, you should know that you can't call fat girls a "pig-o-la". These days you can't even call them fat, you have refer to them as "curvy"...hey, I don't make the rules so don't shoot the messenger.

As far as the rip-off thing goes, I can't comment with certainty because I've never been much of a Yusuf Islam fan and can't recall hearing the song you mentioned. Maybe it is a blatant rip-off as you call it but the rules on that sort of thing have changed over the years. Maybe, if it really does sound exactly like Yusuf Islam's song, Lily meant it as a tribute rather than a rip-off. That's the way kids do things these days. The old school rules don't apply anymore.

For example Wayne Carter aka Lil' Wayne aka Weezy is widely regarded as one of the most influential rappers of the past year. Maybe you've heard his catchy song called Lollipop? In the song are the following lyrics -

Shorty wanna thug
Bottles in the club
Shorty wanna hump
You know I like to touch
Ya lovely lady lumps

When people first heard this song, they were like "GOTT DAMN WEEZY, YOU STOLE THOSE LYRICS FROM THE BLACK EYED PEAS! I MEAN, WHY YOU GOT TO BE SO DERIVATIVE?"

Well, Lil' Wayne was actually paying homage to the song "My Humps" by the Black Eyed Peas. So while some people saw it as derivative, Weezy saw it as giving props and mad respect. For the record (pun not intended) the Black Eyed Peas were cool with it. Probably because they'd dropped completely out of the public eye, but that's another story.

I'm with you on the music critic thing, some of them are more interested in being down with "the latest thing" than actually providing a real critique.

And finally, I'm willing to give you some lattitude with your attitude this time around but I'm no Lily fan boi, so don't be disappointed when I don't come waving my membership badge in your face in 5 - 7 years. And that's if she's still around in 5 - 7 years. My guess is by that time she'll look like the Wilson sister....can't remember if it's Carnie or Marnie.......but you know the one I'm talking about. The "curvy" one.

xtremerunnerars
09-08-2008, 06:07 PM

L-M-F-A-O!!!!

Dedans Penthouse
09-10-2008, 11:07 AM
The "pig-o-la" comment definitely carries some validity as sure as Lily is carrying a few extra pounds around. But just in case you're ever thinking of submitting one of your "10 sec reviews" for publication, you should know that you can't call fat girls a "pig-o-la". These days you can't even call them fat, you have refer to them as "curvy"...hey, I don't make the rules so don't shoot the messenger. Ya know, you're right. Nowadays, the Nate Allen/Eric Williams-esque (Dallas Cowboy OL) belly-sticking-out-of-the-shirt "offensive" lineman look is considered acceptable. I'm all for positive body image and all, but I don't have to subscribe to "10 lbs. in an 8 lb. bag" feel good-ism either. :-)

As far as the rip-off thing goes, I can't comment with certainty because I've never been much of a Yusuf Islam fan and can't recall hearing the song you mentioned.I'm impressed with the Yusul Islam reference, but the song you can't recall? The song was a major (major) hit and I do wish you'd have audio access to it; it would explain my 'lifted' remark. That said, wasn't a huge Cat Steven's fan either; his fan base was more female in nature. One song though: "Sad Lisa" (imho, achingly pretty....tear-your-heart-out beautiful refrain in particular.....my "sensitive" side coming into play-lol)

Maybe it is a blatant rip-off as you call it but the rules on that sort of thing have changed over the years. Maybe, if it really does sound exactly like Yusuf Islam's song, Lily meant it as a tribute rather than a rip-off. That's the way kids do things these days. The old school rules don't apply anymore.

For example Wayne Carter aka Lil' Wayne aka Weezy is widely regarded as one of the most influential rappers of the past year. Maybe you've heard his catchy song called Lollipop? In the song are the following lyrics -

Shorty wanna thug
Bottles in the club
Shorty wanna hump
You know I like to touch
Ya lovely lady lumps

When people first heard this song, they were like "GOTT DAMN WEEZY, YOU STOLE THOSE LYRICS FROM THE BLACK EYED PEAS! I MEAN, WHY YOU GOT TO BE SO DERIVATIVE?"

Well, Lil' Wayne was actually paying homage to the song "My Humps" by the Black Eyed Peas. So while some people saw it as derivative, Weezy saw it as giving props and mad respect. For the record (pun not intended) the Black Eyed Peas were cool with it. Probably because they'd dropped completely out of the public eye, but that's another story.
I see where you're coming from. I'm not sure it applies here (no lyrical reference--however obscure--points towards Yusef nee "Cat Stevens"). But that's for another day; I do wish you could however hear the intro to Cat Steven's "Wild World"

I'm with you on the music critic thing, some of them are more interested in being down with "the latest thing" than actually providing a real critique.And don't think I didn't learn my lesson--and foolishly fork over money--by taking a critic's word "sight unseen" and buying the 'next big thing' only to be disappointedly asking myself afterwards: "you ARE kidding, no? .... is that it?" :sad:

And finally, I'm willing to give you some lattitude with your attitude this time around but I'm no Lily fan boi, so don't be disappointed when I don't come waving my membership badge in your face in 5 - 7 years. And that's if she's still around in 5 - 7 years. My guess is by that time she'll look like the Wilson sister....can't remember if it's Carnie or Marnie.......but you know the one I'm talking about. The "curvy" one.It's CARNIE. As in Chilli-con-CARNIE; she's the one who got her stomach stapled and then appeared on every "The View" type talk show to crow about it. Well, at least she got to stop having to *eat* crow.

regards.

Ignorant Genius
09-10-2008, 07:16 PM
Ya know, you're right. Nowadays, the Nate Allen/Eric Williams-esque (Dallas Cowboy OL) belly-sticking-out-of-the-shirt "offensive" lineman look is considered acceptable. I'm all for positive body image and all, but I don't have to subscribe to "10 lbs. in an 8 lb. bag" feel good-ism either. :-)

I like to consider myself to be open-minded, fair and reasonable, but I have to admit that I don't have any sympathy for people who are overweight. With the rare exception of someone who has a medical disorder, being overweight is caused by eating too much and/or not exercising enough. In other words, people are fat because they refuse to put the junk food down or stick to a regular exercise program.

Believe me, I'd love to sit around and eat Doritos, ice cream and candy all day and never exercise. Actually, I wouldn't like to do that, so maybe that's why I'm not fat.

I'm impressed with the Yusul Islam reference, but the song you can't recall? The song was a major (major) hit and I do wish you'd have audio access to it; it would explain my 'lifted' remark. That said, wasn't a huge Cat Steven's fan either; his fan base was more female in nature. One song though: "Sad Lisa" (imho, achingly pretty....tear-your-heart-out beautiful refrain in particular.....my "sensitive" side coming into play-lol)

I re-read your post, and I do recall hearing that Yusuf Stevens song, but it's been so long ago that I don't remember the intro at all. Never heard Sad Lisa as far as I know. And don't worry about showing your sensitive side, you have friends here.

I see where you're coming from. I'm not sure it applies here (no lyrical reference--however obscure--points towards Yusef nee "Cat Stevens"). But that's for another day; I do wish you could however hear the intro to Cat Steven's "Wild World"

I was making more of a general statement...today it's more acceptable to rip something off and call it "sampling" or say that you're paying tribute. It was deeply frowned upon in the past, but the lines have blurred.....but it probably is a stretch to say Lily Allen is paying any sort of tribute to Cat Islam. I didn't read all of Allen's credits on the album, I wonder if she wrote the music to that particular song or just laid down the vocals.

And don't think I didn't learn my lesson--and foolishly fork over money--by taking a critic's word "sight unseen" and buying the 'next big thing' only to be disappointedly asking myself afterwards: "you ARE kidding, no? .... is that it?" :sad:

Well, I've heard that some people say they use Limewire to download songs to "preview" them and if they like them, they buy them on iTunes (or some other service) or buy the CD. At least they "say" that's what they use Limewire for....

It's CARNIE. As in Chilli-con-CARNIE; she's the one who got her stomach stapled and then appeared on every "The View" type talk show to crow about it. Well, at least she got to stop having to *eat* crow.

regards.

Yep, Carnie....that's the one. Out of curiousity, I googled her to see what she looks like these days. BTW, didn't she do some kind of (shudder) semi-nude photo shoot after her surgery? For some reason that seems to ring a bell.

Anyway, looks like Carnie gave up on eating crow but went straight back to Taco Bell. She's over 200lbs now and trying to take some weight off by actually hitting the gym.

Godspeed, Carnie. Godspeed.