PDA

View Full Version : how is everyone?

vkartikv
09-04-2008, 07:20 AM
I can't believe it's been close to 4 months that I've been away! For a variety of reasons, I have had to extend my summer vacation, back home in the Eastern Hemisphere. I expect to be back in Texas soon but my self-imposed exile has taught me a lot of things:

For my American friends, please don't take tennis for granted! It's been 3 1/2 months since I picked up a racquet! There is no such thing as a public/free court in India. Clubs charge exorbitant 'guest membership' fees and you are also asked to put down some initial deposit. I played about 4 times, mostly in sultry May and on each occasion, it was a doubles match in which I was paired with novices...To add to insult to injury, tennis matches are televised on channels which are not available in my area! This is for all of you back in the US who complain about USA Network cutting matches short or ESPN not covering the Masters.. The last straw, of course, is having 2 freshly strung wilson racquets just crying out to be picked up and hit with...Spend a whole season outside tennis and you'll grab any kind of tennis that comes your way!

Anyway, how's everyone here? Skraggle? Samster? Javier? Canadianchic? And everyone else?

0range
09-04-2008, 04:52 PM
Well I don't know you but I shared some of the feelings.

I was away (from N. America) for vacation for 1.5 month. I bought a racquet with me but I didn't play (no time, no court, no one to play with).

I even had trouble accessing the internet to check the Wimbledon score.

I have yet to take tennis for granted but now I'm sure I never will!

0range
09-04-2008, 04:54 PM
Btw after that period of not playing, my timing of stroke was off, but physically I'm more fresher and more energized.

I think once in a while a period of rest (like a week or two) is a very good idea, especially if one's used to practice several times a week.

CanadianChic
09-04-2008, 08:24 PM
Hey V! Long time no read. ;) Welcome back to the boards...your absence has been noticed and your presence missed around here. That certainly sucks about tennis but at least you will be able to make up for lost time. Take it easy out there...we don't want you getting injured on the courts!

How was your vacation? Any pictures to share? Swing by the Bistro when you get a chance so we can all get caught up. I'm great thanks but want to live vicariously through your holiday stories since I spent my summer working and sleeping. ;)

skraggle
10-28-2008, 04:16 PM
Vkartikv!

Great to hear from you! You've definitely been missed around here, even though I'm no longer as active on the boards due to some family issues.

Yes, please do share pictures if possible. I've been playing my reliably poor level of tennis with a number of racquets as usual. Some things never change!

Welcome home (whenever that turns out to be).

drakulie
10-28-2008, 07:52 PM
welcome back!!!!

Everyone is doing dandy. Except for those who were recently banned.

Feņa14
10-28-2008, 08:51 PM
Welcome back!

Have you been watching much of the India v Australia series? Softening them up for us next Summer I see! ;)

max
10-29-2008, 07:17 AM
Glad you're back. . . how was the food? I'd like very much to visit India, try out the food and see the sights. I'm kind of up on India; I've liked about every "India Indian" I've met in America.

Sentinel
10-29-2008, 07:56 AM
welcome back, vkartik, and wish you a happy Deepavali.
Sad you could not play much there. Where were you exactly? I think you once mentioned Mumbai.

I guess Chennai would have been better tennis wise. That part of asia is more cricket or soccer crazy, i hear.

Azzurri
10-29-2008, 11:21 AM
vkartik..welcome back! Let us know if the board "vibe" has changed any. I think some of the veteran posters know what I mean.

J-man
10-29-2008, 11:53 AM
Hey welcome back. Nice to see you back. You haven't touched a racket in 3 and half months. Man I complain and the last time I touched a racket was a few weeks ago.

vkartikv
10-29-2008, 02:49 PM
Thanks everyone! I've been back in the States for 4 weeks now. I spent all summer home! Max, it was a glutton's paradise there and that's exactly what I was. Surprisingly, I have lost weight, probably because the diet was more healthy and humidity was close to 100% everday.
Fena - I hope the Oz lose badly - this is not the same team I loved back in the 90s and under Waugh..
Skraggle - I have just 2 racquets with me now - both 6.1 classics and doing great with them. I have had to limit my on court activities due to lack of a partner.
Sentinel - I was in Madras, you were right the second time. Regardless of it's shortcomings (read power cuts) home is still home and I miss it a lot.
Azurri - I have posted about 3-4 times in the last 4-5 months. Not sure if anything has changed on the boards but I'm sick of the Fed greatest and Obama-McCain threads. People need to get a life..
J-man - I make it a point to carry my racquet around in my car. I missed it and now it goes everywhere with me.
Drak - was it the usual suspects who got banned?
Canadianchic - How are ya?

vkartikv
10-29-2008, 02:55 PM
BTW, I just hit the big 3-0 a couple of weeks ago. What happens now? :)

diredesire
10-29-2008, 04:58 PM
vkartik..welcome back! Let us know if the board "vibe" has changed any. I think some of the veteran posters know what I mean.

I think many people know what you mean ;)

vkv, i can't believe you haven't touched a racquet for so long, I always (used to) see your FS/T posts :) Are you going to enjoy the game more now and stick to one racquet? *gasp!*

(say it aint' so, i like dealing with you :D)

iplaybetter
10-29-2008, 05:53 PM
welcome back!!!!

Everyone is doing dandy. Except for those who were recently banned.

and those who quit...

nice to see ya back, maybe we can get the board going back in the older direction

J-man
10-29-2008, 05:55 PM
BTW, I just hit the big 3-0 a couple of weeks ago. What happens now? :)AARP in the mail

mistapooh
10-29-2008, 08:57 PM
I don't know you, but I appreciate a good rest now and again. I can correct all of the bad habits and fine tune my strokes after having to "relearn" everything. Wb!

takl23
10-30-2008, 06:56 PM
Hey! Don't know you from Jack but welcome back!!

Cheers,

Tim

skraggle
10-30-2008, 07:07 PM
u busta rhyme! HOLLA!

bad_call
10-30-2008, 07:33 PM

you're still young enough to play me at that age. :)

skraggle
10-30-2008, 08:17 PM

Harumph. Call me in 16 years. Oh wait--I'll be dead. Never mind.

Sentinel
10-30-2008, 08:22 PM
At the expense of sounding stupid, what is the big 3-0. I know its gotta do with age, but is it 30? or 60 ?

skraggle
10-30-2008, 09:45 PM
At the expense of sounding stupid, what is the big 3-0. I know its gotta do with age, but is it 30? or 60 ?

Must...resist...urge...