PDA

View Full Version : Who saw McCain's speech?

heycal
09-04-2008, 05:04 PM
What do we make of this, Storm Holloway?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080904/ap_on_el_pr/cvn_convention_rdp

ST. PAUL, Minn. - John McCain, a POW turned political rebel, vowed Thursday night to vanquish the "constant partisan rancor" plaguing the nation as he launched his fall campaign for the White House. "Change is coming" to Washington, he promised the Republican National Convention.

ADVERTISEMENT

"I will reach out my hand to anyone to help me get this country moving again," McCain said in remarks prepared for the a prime time address. "I have that record and the scars to prove it. Senator Obama does not," he said of his rival for the White House, Sen. Barack Obama.

McCain also invoked the five years he spent in a North Vietnamese prison. "I fell in love with my country when I was a prisoner in someone else's," he said. "I was never the same again. I wasn't my own man anymore. I was my country's."

McCain's speech was the highlight of the final night of the party convention, but before he took the podium, delegates unanimously awarded the vice presidential nomination to Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin. She is the first female ticketmate in Republican history.

heycal
09-04-2008, 06:17 PM
Nobody bothered by the past tense used in the article?

formerblakefan
09-04-2008, 07:26 PM
It seems some rogue Dems made it into the convention and interrupted his acceptance speech....lol

heycal
09-04-2008, 07:29 PM
It seems some rogue Dems made it into the convention and interrupted his acceptance speech....lol

Hmm. The article didn't mention that.

Max G.
09-04-2008, 09:36 PM
It's hilarious how he's talking about shaking things up and changing things around, when his party's been the one in power for all this time.

fantom
09-05-2008, 05:33 AM
It's hilarious how he's talking about shaking things up and changing things around, when his party's been the one in power for all this time.

He also talked about how badly the Republican party has screwed things up in recent times. Too much wasteful spending. Too much expanding government. They have become Democrat-like.

ttbrowne
09-05-2008, 06:02 AM
I dvr'd it...so if I ever need some deep sleep I can replay it.

AR15
09-05-2008, 06:05 AM

EXCUSE ME! What party is in power now, and has been for a couple of years?

AR15
09-05-2008, 06:06 AM
He also talked about how badly the Republican party has screwed things up in recent times. Too much wasteful spending. Too much expanding government. They have become Democrat-like.

Exactly!

10 char

OldNews
09-05-2008, 06:19 AM
What ****es me off is he then says but I'll be different, sure..........

How much does gas cost now? How is the US $ doing?

Bill

SlapShot
09-05-2008, 06:40 AM
EXCUSE ME! What party is in power now, and has been for a couple of years?

Neither. Neither party actually has the vote power to override a presidential veto, and the executive branch knows that and weilds veto power.

Right now, we have a lame duck prez and a lame duck congress. Too much partisanship on both sides.

AR15
09-05-2008, 06:44 AM
What ****es me off is he then says but I'll be different, sure..........

How much does gas cost now? How is the US $ doing?

Bill

Are you blaming the president for the cost of gas?

Do you think government should tell a private business what to charge for it's goods or services?

And the US dollar is largely where it is due to out of control spending that was done by BOTH parties.

Serve em Up
09-05-2008, 07:47 AM
The Bush Presidency has been a disaster.

Iraqi mess, out of control military spending, out of control government spending, tax cuts we couldn't afford with out reigning in spending to pay for them, degradation of American credibility around the globe. no working with congress on health care, social security, or a comprehensive energy plan. These three item are three of the most pressing problems we face as a nation, and all Washington does is partisan bickering.

Also guilty, the "do nothing" Pelosi and Reid Congress. One of the most ineffective congress' in history. They hold the purse strings, they pass a lot of pork, they won't eliminate earmarks, etc. etc. etc.

They do a nice job of whining at public hearings though.

Both parties should shoulder the blame for this mess.

Xisbum
09-05-2008, 07:50 AM
To answer the OP, sorry, I already saw The Mummy at the theater earlier this year. :-)

Just funnin', you know. ;-)

heycal
09-05-2008, 07:51 AM
Oh Jeez. The point of this thread was that of the time of the OP, no one had seen McCain's speech, yet that article was suggesting the event had already happened. That was what was interesting to me.

And now I'm trapped in a thread actually discussing McCain's speech.

SlapShot
09-05-2008, 07:52 AM
The Bush Presidency has been a disaster.

Iraqi mess, out of control military spending, out of control government spending, tax cuts we couldn't afford with out reigning in spending to pay for them, degradation of American credibility around the globe.

Also guilty, the "do nothing" Pelosi and Reid Congress. One of the most ineffective congress' in history. They hold the purse strings, they pass a lot of pork, they won't eliminate earmarks, etc. etc. etc.

They do a nice job of whining at public hearings though.

Both parties should shoulder the blame for this mess.

You're speaking the truth here, for sure. History is not going to be kind to the leadership in Washington over these past 8 years (including, let's not forget, the Republican led congress for the first 6 years of W's presidency).

heycal
09-05-2008, 07:53 AM
To answer the OP, sorry, I already saw The Mummy at the theater earlier this year. :-)

Just funnin', you know. ;-)

I don't get it, maybe because I didn't see the Mummy. Some sort of predict the future or conspiracy type plot line?

hollywood9826
09-05-2008, 12:36 PM
No Xisbum is just joking that McCain is an old walking stiff :)

35ft6
09-05-2008, 12:52 PM
He also talked about how badly the Republican party has screwed things up in recent times. Too much wasteful spending. Too much expanding government. They have become Democrat-like.Too much spending and staying in Iraq are so related, not sure what he's getting at. It's like saying "I'm going to stop spending so much money but we're going to keep buying lots and lots of cocaine!"

JYD
09-05-2008, 12:58 PM
John McCain has a 90% voting record the same as Bush.

Who wants more of the same?

superstition
09-05-2008, 01:00 PM
And yet McCain switched positions on major issues, like the Bush tax cuts for the rich, as soon as he had a shot at the nomination.

He is trying to recover his "maverick" image to appeal to independents, but it won't work since he picked Palin (book banning, etc etc) and switched on major issues to be in line with the Bush/RNC hardline. I wonder how many people will be fooled by the rhetoric.

10sfreak
09-05-2008, 10:08 PM
John McCain has a 90% voting record the same as Bush.

Who wants more of the same?
I do.........