PDA

View Full Version : Wow Bow Brand Gut Price Jumped 67%!

Match-Point
02-02-2005, 11:16 AM
Chris,

Just noticed that the Bow Brand gut prices have increased materially ($12 a package or a whopping 67%!). Can you give us any insight on this sudden price increase. They no longer appear to be such a bargain.

Match-Point

Craig Sheppard
02-02-2005, 11:27 AM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! There goes all hope using the gut hybrids I love.... <tears flooding the keyboard>

Say it ain't so man!!!

Match-Point
02-02-2005, 11:32 AM
Yes indeed my fellow Raleighian (is that a word). I duno I am from CA, lol. The Klip gut and BDE Performance gut are looking much better. This can't be a good business decsion unless the natural gut cartel (chaired by King Bobolat) is trying to push prices upward.

How goes it Craig? You have been sited on Milbrook courts by some of my customers. "The dude with the big topspin".

M-P

TripleB
02-02-2005, 11:56 AM
Glad I ordered my 3 sets of 15L two weeks ago when they were $22.99 a set. At least I can use them for six string jobs until I decide on a replacement string ;)

Luckily I use the Bow Brand Championship Natural Gut 15L which only jumped $7.

Somebody check my math for the Bow Brand Championship Natural Gut 15L:

To find percent change we use the: (New - Old) / Old formula

So 29.99-22.99 is 7 then 7 divided by 22.99 is .304480208

We move the decimal point two places to the left to make it a percent, so we get 30.4480208%

So the increase for the 15L is only 30.4480208% :)

Strange that one set went up almost 67% and the other only went up about 31%. It looks like it would have been a uniform price increase :(

TripleB

Craig Sheppard
02-02-2005, 12:00 PM
Hey MP! Have to apologize about not getting back to you about the clubs... (I haven't joined any, sort of contemplating the idea now and then) It goes pretty well. Am bummed that 60 degree weather we had in early January didn't keep up. I'm hoping maybe I can get on a USTA team this summer... will keep my eyes/ears open.

So yeah, I played the Millbrook ladder this winter; nice league, can't wait til the spring one starts. I've been marked eh? Probably am the only Fischer person out there... Glad that the guys are giving you some business. Hey, more spin means more business for you--it'll break their strings faster, right... ;-)

Craig

<googling "raleighian"...hmmm...>

Match-Point
02-02-2005, 12:07 PM
Craig,
Now worries. I knew you were alive and playing tennis in the area. I have spies around the local courts, lol. You should have played in the Cary Tennis Center Polar Bear doubles starting tomorrow and through the weekend. They combined the 4.0-4.5 divisions as the draws were small. How do you like Raleigh? Next year I plan on doing the winter membership package at RRC. You should consider watching one of the NCSU tennis team matches (indoors!). They are 7-0 and looking good. ACC tournament is at the Cary Tennis Center in mid to late April so we will have some pretty decent college tennis in town. Now don't go stealing my customers, lol. Take care, M-P

Craig Sheppard
02-02-2005, 12:11 PM
TW, did Bow give any reason for this? Perhaps it is because the exchange rate is at almost $1.90 now. It was up from only $1.30 around 2003 and the Bow prices haven't changed (I don't think?)....

TW Staff
02-02-2005, 12:43 PM
Bow Brand have raised their prices. Our current pricing on Bow Brand gut reflects this change.

Chris, TW.

Match-Point
02-02-2005, 12:51 PM
Chris,
A price increase of this magnitude is very unusual in the marketplace. We may never know the real reason, but perhaps BB was purposefully selling below their normal market prices to attract market share. I have a hunch that this will backlash against them. No doubt their sales will decline as there are equally desirable alternatives for $2-$4 less.
M-P

Craig Sheppard
02-02-2005, 01:14 PM
Chris,
A price increase of this magnitude is very unusual in the marketplace. We may never know the real reason, but perhaps BB was purposefully selling below their normal market prices to attract market share. I have a hunch that this will backlash against them. No doubt their sales will decline as there are equally desirable alternatives for $2-$4 less.
M-P
My thoughts exactly. Well look at this BDE stuff... only $22. I'll start learning French, no problem... order me some "cordage naturale"!

MP, I love Raleigh. Really glad I moved. I got a job over at Duke but haven't watched their tennis team at all. Going to try to play on campus soon as the weather cooperates. Thanks for the tips about NC St. I will try to check them out, as well as that ACC tourney. Doubles sounded great, i like dubs a lot--but no partner! Too late to call around, good idea though. Thanks for looking out. BTW, don't worry about your customers... wouldn't be able to steal more than one (me) with my little Klippermate. ;-)

Take it easy,
Craig

devilish_duke
02-02-2005, 02:42 PM
Hey Craig, you should check out the duke team at sheffield sometime, they're doing pretty good so far. www.goduke.com for the schedule. WHen it gets warmer we should hit sometime.

Craig Sheppard
02-02-2005, 04:04 PM
devilish, yeah i've still got your email address, just figured I'd wait til the weather starts getting warmer to email ya... don't want to get my hopes up and then have it get cold again. ;-)

smoothasmecir
02-03-2005, 09:13 AM
Hey Craig,

Have you looked into playing at the UNC indoor courts for the winter. No fee to join and we got a winter contract for about 100 pp. We sometimes just play and pay which turns out to be about 7 pp for 1.5 hours.

Match-Point
02-03-2005, 09:21 AM
smoothasmecir,
do you have a link to the unc indoor court info? does duke also offer this?
m-p

smoothasmecir
02-03-2005, 11:03 AM
MP,

Sorry I don't have a link. You're probably best off contacting UNC directly and talking with Andrew over at the club. I play Sunday nights on occasion and they usually have a couple of open courts available (I'm positive all the prime time slots are taken). On the upside, the contract price would be reduced since we are into Feb and I believe we started ours back in October or Nov. The weather looks good enough this weekeend that we could play outdoors though!

Match-Point
02-03-2005, 11:12 AM
Thanks. Heard NCSU was thinking of opening up their 4 indoor courts to earn some extra dollars for the tennis program. I know RRC in Raleigh offers a winter-only membership package but its considerably more than $100. How many indoor courts does UNC have? Duke?
M-P

smoothasmecir
02-03-2005, 12:02 PM
For the price, you really can't beat it. I think we got our contract from Oct-March and we play 1x a week for 1.5 hrs for 400 bucks total. They have 6 indoor courts there and the facility is very nice. Not sure if Duke runs the same type progam, but in my opionion the courts are a lot nicer at UNC then at Sheffield. Let me know if you hear anything about the NC state courts as well. Where do you usually play, Millbrook?

Match-Point
02-03-2005, 12:13 PM
I play primarily at Sunset Ridge Racquet Club and Cary Tennis Center.

smoothasmecir
02-03-2005, 12:25 PM
We should get out sometime and hit. I usually play at the CTC. Just played some dub's with Fiona's husband last week as well.

Match-Point
02-03-2005, 12:34 PM
Ryan has way more game tham me.