PDA

View Full Version : Acer Aspire one

ChuDat
09-04-2008, 07:58 PM
does anyone have any feedback on this laptop?

10s talk
09-04-2008, 09:27 PM
try CNet..........

diredesire
09-04-2008, 09:46 PM
All the new netbooks have their tradeoffs. I feel that the Acer Aspire One has a good balance of features compared to the others. The MSI Wind is nice, but bigger than it needs to be. They keyboard is nice, but the battery life has been one of the major gripes with the Wind. There are bigger batteries out just recently, so it is starting to look more attractive.

The Asus EEE PCs have small keyboards (until the 1000H), so if you are a big touch typist, they might frustrate you (I have the 701, and I owned the 901 for a short while)

The Acer Aspire One is kind of right in between the two

The Lenovo S10 is another one worth looking at. I bought one for my girlfriend, it should ship the 9th. I think this is a solid netbook for the price, but the 3 cell battery is goign to be an issue in the (near) future. I'll be picking up an extended battery for it when they come out.

HP Mini Note: Crummy processor, under powered. Nice design, though.

diredesire
09-04-2008, 09:47 PM
Also: The Dell Mini Inspiron just came out, it is retailing for ~$450 fully featured, $350 for a stripped version with linux. It has a bit of a weird keyboard, but the size is better than the EEE.

tin
09-04-2008, 10:51 PM
which reminds me, i'm thinking of getting a new laptop myself..what brand can you recommend??i don't like a mac cause im not used to a mac user interface and i would've wanted to have a vaio but because of the recalls it doesn't seem so reliable...maybe a toshiba???

noobplayer
09-04-2008, 11:32 PM
i personally would get the asus eee pc over the acer, for one the asus looks less clunky as the acer, and also the battery life on the acer supposedly suks

OrangeOne
09-04-2008, 11:58 PM
I'm typing on an Eee (1000H) as we speak, and can vouch for it. I picked it for the keyboard size, and you can really type at decent speeds on it, in fact given the keys don't need much pressing (small-travel keys), you can really crank away some words on it if you choose.

It's not going to be for everyone, but for the price, the size and functionality it's fairly amazing, and while it's not the lightest, the (literal, real-world) 4-5hr battery life with bluetooth & wireless on is impressive to say the least, and very usable.

Also, for those wanting to store a bit more or run a bit more, the 1000H can have it's HD swapped (fairly common) (have heard of people even throwing 320gb in them) and the RAM upgraded to 2Gb (fairly uncommon in the smaller machines, many are being shipped with 1Gb and that's that).

Anyone thinking of these machines should also look at the Targus bluetooth travel-mouse, tiny, bluetooth, and rechargeable via a USB cord that will also power it if it's flat.