PDA

View Full Version : V-Engine 9 Prototype -- any around here in TW-land?

Dedans Penthouse
03-29-2004, 09:45 AM
Before a new racquet model is launched, a company will usually give a "test" model (a prototype) to their reps and/or authorized dealers. This was the case with the Volkl V-Engine 9 prototype, a silver & black frame. Now that the "retail" version has hit the shelves (with the black and orange graphics), what happens to the prototypes? Yeah, I know that this really should be filed under "Wanted" in the classifieds, but I have to post twice regarding the V-E 9 since the "wanted" post will probably not even see the light of day, and besides I'm sneaking back on this board this one time just to post this inquiry/request. Anyone have any idea where these prototypes go........pssstt.......anyone got one? (would pay full retail $$). Any help in this regard (name of a rep, "point me in the right direction" etc., I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

tkoets
03-29-2004, 12:28 PM
Sean,

My understanding is that Volkl wants all the prototypes back in their possession, as they are not official spec racquets. I think some of their protos are different from the final specs, at least that's what I found to be true. My dealer had to send his back. So unfortunately, I suspect it might be tough to find them. Too bad, though, like the simple looks of the all-black frames. Funny how so many of us seem to concur. Maybe one of these days they will listen.

womackD
03-29-2004, 05:58 PM
Tkoets. We both demo from the same person, and when i demoed the Vengine 9, it was the prototype version.

If i remember correctly, there were two VE9 prototypes in the beginning for early playtesting ( a heavy version, vs lighter version).. You got to play with both didnt you?

D. Nelson
03-30-2004, 01:52 AM
...I was 'lucky' enough to get one of EACH of the V Engine Prototypes --- the 9 AND the 10..... :) Yes, they will be/ARE rare already !!! I don't know if I'd be willing to get rid of EITHER...especially before giving them a real chane; playing-wise. I really DO like BOTH of them....for different reasons !! I want to interchange each one in the contrasting situations of the other before I decide if I'd consider selling one/both....give me a few more days......

Dedans Penthouse
03-30-2004, 09:06 AM
D. Nelson: It's not the "rare" thing that has me wanting a V-Engine 9 prototype, although if you're setting me up so as to "set the bar" price-wise, I'm gladly at your mercy. I can't stand the graphics of the "retail" version and plain and simple I want the visually "downscaled" proto model. Even if "out of print," a proto is only that--a proto, i.e. it's "rarity" will not be on a par with Greg Rudeski hitting a topspin backhand winner, nor that of the 1943 copper penny, and further, I seriously doubt that we'll see this down the road on that PBS program: "Traveling Roadshoe."

Besides, you're probably far too accomplished a player to be playing with that "tweener" V-9, which I hear is very prone to giving people terrible cases of tennis elbow. Stick with the V-10 stick and sell me the V-9 ...... (... and people thought my grips were tacky...... ;~)). Look on the bright side: If I get my mitts on the V-Engine 9 prototype, you won't have to read another one of those inane "Looking To Paint My Racquet--Please Help" posts.

Thanks.

D. Nelson
03-30-2004, 04:14 PM
....absolutely HYSTERICAL !!! Hahahaaa!!! The 'rare' comments weren't trying to 'set you up'....TOO FUNNY !!!! hahahaa!!!! The proto graphics ARE 1kx better, though !!! You know, you joked about tennis elbow...well, one/both of them ARE mking my elbow sore...and I can't remember WHEN the last time THAT happened !!!! I really do like both of them...for different reasons...but I would say that the ONLY downside to the v10 is the 93" headsize....I haven't tried that for YEARS.... The v9 just hits an 'overall' better ball......with decent control...and acceptable...but NOT like the v10.....!!!!!!!!

tkoets
03-31-2004, 01:36 PM
I have hit with both and can offer my $0.02. The VE9 is stiffer and I can indeed feel it in my elbow a bit. Never so with the VE10. The VE9 is a player's racquet with a low SW (around 300), and I think I have finally learned that this genre of racquet is simply not as good for me as one with a higher SW.

I need the inertia to help make my strokes more controlled, not to mention the benefits that added weight provide. Often, player's racquets with lower SW's are actually more demanding for me because they force me to swing very hard and fast, whereas a heavier racquet lets you slow down your stroke speed a little and focus more on hitting through the shot.

The VE10 is a very impressive stick if you can stand the graphics and V-bridge. I'm somewhat of a traditionalist and tend to prefer an elliptical head shape, which is why I'm now looking at the likes of the LM Prestige MP and Yonex RDX 500.

With respect to feel and overall feedback, the VE10 has the VE9 beat hands-down. There really is no comparison. The secret, I found, was in the stringing.

@wright
03-31-2004, 02:50 PM
It's ironic that you're a traditionalist and you're looking at racquets with liquidmetal, intellifibers, and "supermetal" instead of a racquet made of only graphite and fiberglass.

D. Nelson
03-31-2004, 05:45 PM
Sean, I think I might be ready to let you have the V9....email me at

imouch@bellsouth.net