PDA

View Full Version : What was Jimmy Connors Racket History

tennisflyboy
02-02-2005, 04:13 PM
Could anyone tell me what Jimmy Connors racket history was/is... I know about his T-2000, and His Yellow Estusa that he made famous at the US Open.. Please fill in the gaps.. Thanks

Kirko
02-02-2005, 04:57 PM
As a kid he used a variety of slazenger and wilson wood frames then at 16 he saw the wilson T-2000 at the Orange Bowl and the rest is history; until 1986 he went to a midsize slazenger then the Estusa then after that the prince mono I think he still uses.

andfor
02-02-2005, 06:56 PM
Didn't he also have a stint using the ProStaff 6.0 before the Slaz and Estusa?

thomas martinez
02-02-2005, 06:59 PM
He used/developed the Panther Pro Ceramic line for Slazenger. Then they had him use the Phantom. Which led him to sign with Estusa for a host of various colered versions of the same Aerotec BKS or whatever the thing was called, which did vary on the year. After Estusa sort of went under, they became AmerPro in the US, which created the neon pink frame he played, which was also released to the public in green and orange. Forgot the name of the model off the top of my head. The Phantom, Estusa and AmerPro models were in many ways devlopments of the original Panther Pro Ceramic frames. The feature that these frames all shared was the OMS system bumps. After the AmerPro bit went bust, it is when he signed with Prince to play/devlop the Precision Mono 650 for its full title. when that contract ended, Prince didn't reup it, so he played iwth it until Wavex came along and signed him. He played with their red/black model a bit, but of course was always seen going back to the Mono. Some other side notes on Jimmy, he to the best of my knowledge used rather low tensions, in the 50s and during his wrist injury sometimes as low as 44 going by a log or two I have around. He also always used leather grips. He favoured uncoated VS 17 gauge gut, and was one of the original developers of the now fabled Pro Staff 85 frame.

Kirko
02-02-2005, 07:31 PM
you're there Tom ! can't believe I slipped on the pro-staff wilson actually made one with a round hoop like his T-2 . I always thought the Mono fit him like the T-2; looked like it was marriage made in heaven for his bachand. Jimmy endorses some kind of magnetic arm and knee braces saw them at Wallgreens "It works for me" her's holding the Mono in the pic.

BreakPoint
02-02-2005, 10:27 PM
Connors used the PS 6.0 85 at the 1984 US Open and was seen in Wilson TV commericals promoting it during that year. (BTW, he lost in the semis to McEnroe.) I think he used it for less than a year and then went back to his trusty, old T-2000. Perhaps he thought that NOBODY could EVER win a Grand Slam with that crappy PS 6.0 85. LOL. ;) :lol:

Richard Parnell
02-03-2005, 07:51 AM
Was with Connors in December and he is still using the Mono.
All the best,
Richard:cool:

BreakPoint
02-03-2005, 12:30 PM
It's interesting to note that Connors was still using the T-2000 at Wimbledon 1984 even though TV commericals had him promoting the Pro Staff 85 during the French Open. I think perhaps after he got his butt kicked by McEnroe in the Wimbledon finals, 6-1, 6-1, 6-2, he decided he needed to really switch to a graphite racquet like McEnroe's Dunlop Max 200G. Thus, he switched to the Pro Staff 85 in time for the start of the U.S. Open. He still lost to McEnroe but at least it was a close 5-set match.

Strange how Connors was seen in ads holding the Pro Staff 85 while during the same match he was obviously still using his T-2000. I guess it was just too tough for Wilson to paint the steel T-2000 to look like a graphite Pro Staff 85. The wire string loops around the head would have been a dead giveaway. :D

PrestigeClassic
02-03-2005, 01:00 PM
Did Connors use a special Pro Staff with boron?

Bhagi Katbamna
02-03-2005, 01:47 PM
Yes, I remember that Wilson had a prototype PS with boron instead of kevlar for Jimmy.

hummer23
02-03-2005, 02:09 PM
what could possibly be the upsied to using a prince mono. its the mackiest looking frame ever made. its like a cow walking on i95. it just doesnt belong on a court.

TommyGun
02-04-2005, 07:21 AM
He used at sometime recently a Wavex frame...there is a picture of him with Mac at a seniors event on www.sportsbusinessjournal.com