PDA

View Full Version : stop telling people to use the "search" option

certifiedjatt
09-06-2008, 06:18 PM
i see it all the time here. those who've been on this board for a while think they're somehow better and part of an exclusive club. so when a newcomer asks a question that's been discussed, instead of ignoring it, these folks make it a point to say ''use the search button.'' if people posting repetitive questions makes you so mad, just ignore it and move on. you actually help your objective this way, i.e., to make the thread smaller.

if all people used was the search button, lots of new information and insights would go unwritten.

verdasco
09-06-2008, 06:32 PM
someone has complained about this already. search it.

TokyopunK
09-06-2008, 06:36 PM
do a freakin search before you post a thread like this OP

Andres
09-06-2008, 06:43 PM
stop telling me what to tell other people

YULitle
09-06-2008, 07:18 PM

Beat me, and countless others I'm sure, to it.

superstition
09-06-2008, 07:21 PM
Har har...

Why is this in Odds and Ends, anyway?

Applesauceman
09-06-2008, 07:31 PM
Search the words "pistol whipped". I have the same beef. Who cares if something has already been discussed?! Does it really matter?!

superstition
09-06-2008, 07:41 PM
Who cares if something has already been discussed?! Does it really matter?!
Reinventing the wheel is fun for some.

Applesauceman
09-06-2008, 07:45 PM
I guess so is antagonizing others. :)

Sentinel
09-06-2008, 08:28 PM
if all people used was the search button, lots of new information and insights would go unwritten.

Actually OP, by using the search button first, one can gain many insights frm people who've discussed the point over the last few years.

But i do agree that one should not be sarcastic about it.

Every month someone posts a thread asking about sigs and avatars. One of our members always points the person to the FAQ rather than answering straiight, because this will help him find answers to many other questions too, and inculcate a good habit. Its like teaching someone how to fish.

Steady Eddy
09-06-2008, 11:04 PM
If everyone did a search first, there'd never be any new threads, because at this time, everything that can be asked about tennis, has been asked by now. (Ever notice that about one-fifth of the threads are about how to beat a pusher?)

mistapooh
09-06-2008, 11:06 PM
No new threads? How about resurrecting the old ones up if it's not too far back? It saves server space and makes you better at the internets.

YULitle
09-06-2008, 11:07 PM
If everyone did a search first, there'd never be any new threads, because at this time, everything that can be asked about tennis, has been asked by now. (Ever notice that about one-fifth of the threads are about how to beat a pusher?)

PLUS! Try finding specific information about a common topic. Like the string pattern for a Wilson pro staff. Which? There are many topics that will just pull up useless threads that are of no good. Asking is much quicker. And it is certainly better than letting O&E and R&R have all of the activity.

YULitle
09-06-2008, 11:07 PM
No new threads? How about resurrecting the old ones up if it's not too far back? It saves server space and makes you better at the internets.

Why resurrect them? If the information isn't there on that thread, then they may as well have started a new thread...

malakas
09-07-2008, 01:46 AM
Because the forum is flooded by countless threads on the same old questions.A search is the best,AND if after the OP has more question left then do a new search.

Applesauceman
09-07-2008, 06:04 AM
Yeah, since the world is flat, why would we want to go back and update known information. There is never any new information to explore about an old known topic.

certifiedjatt
09-07-2008, 07:28 AM
the ironies on this thread are delicious---but predictable.