PDA

View Full Version : Can light dumbell lifts help and older player prior to a match?

Coria
09-06-2008, 09:33 PM
I know when I'm downstairs in my basement hitting against my wall, I seem to hit better after I do some light to moderate weight work. It seems to activate my muscles a bit and the racket feels lighter and I feel stronger.

Could a five to ten minute dumbell weight routine ( work shoulders, lats, arms, etc ) help an older player start out a little quicker. I'd also include a light jog, jump rope and stretch in there--whole thing to be no more than about 15 minutes. What do folks here think?

I'm in my mid forties now and I often feel very stiff and non-fluid the first 20 to 30 minutes of play.

SystemicAnomaly
09-07-2008, 03:17 AM
I have a similar problem but I've got about 10 years on you. 10 to 20 minutes on the exercise bike or elliptical machine works best for me. Jumping rope and jumping jacks are also very helpful. Various dynamic stretches are often part of my routine as well.

If you are going to do perform static stretches prior to tennis, do so at least 30 to 60 minutes beforehand so that it does not compromise your power or performance. Static stretches after tennis are also a good idea.

Light weights to work various body parts may have some merit as well. You might also take a look at the dynamic warm-up routines shown on the USTA High Performance Player Development website pages.

Il Mostro
09-07-2008, 01:51 PM
Versa Climber for me after a long hot shower. It gets arms/shoulders, legs and back. I gradually work to a full stretch and elongation of my muscles. Most importantly, it works muscles, including all the small connector muscles, synergistically rather than in isolation (like weights).