PDA

View Full Version : TV's - Plasma vs LCD

galain
09-07-2008, 08:51 AM
Okay - so here I am in need of a new tv. I have nothing against old CRT televisions but you can't find them anymore, so the choice is between plasma and lcd.

These things I understand...

Plasma is better for sport, movies, better viewing in a dark room, your economical option in a larger size.

LCD is better for light rooms, much better in smaller sized screens, pretty much the only recommended option if you want to connect your computer to it (I don't, BTW), better for game playing.

My quandary is this - yes - i want to watch movies and sports mainly. I'm not a gamer and I'm happy to do my computing on my computer. However, my apartment is full of light and I don't really have the space for a huge screen. I understand that plasma's no longer have much trouble with burn in, and I also understand that the issues of dead pixels and slower refresh rate are not nearly the issues they used to be for lcd's.

I haven't had a great deal of time in front of either format. For a person like myself who doesn't really get all that excited about techy stuff, is there really a difference between the two? And which sounds like a better option for my needs?

TheJRK
09-07-2008, 09:09 AM
It used to be the case that larger 42"+ LCDs were just too damn expensive but now prices are more reasonable.

I have a plasma and I play games all the time... I'm not sure where the whole "LCDs are better for games" (maybe because computer screens are LCD?) thing came about but it's not really the case with today's flat screens.

I didn't want an LCD for gaming because at the time 120 refresh rate was only on super top of the line TVs (read: expensive), also "blacks" tend to show up as really dark gray on LCDs of the past, so I went with a plasma and it's been great.

IMHO, they are both about the same now, especially if you take into consideration that LCDs are a lot cheaper than they were 5 years ago.

I'm actually looking into the 52-56" LCD range right now and I'll put the plasma I have into the second bedroom.

WBF
09-07-2008, 09:47 AM
I think the most important difference nowadays is lighting. If you have a bunch of sun facing windows that will reflect off a glass surface (plasma), you might want to go LCD. That's about it. I have my plasma in a well lit room on the corner of a wall with a big window, and I love it. Mostly watch sports, movies (from PC or DVD player), play the Wii, etc.

If you do use it for a PC, consider 1080p for the extra room on the desktop it will give you. If not, keep in mind that unless you sit very close, chances are 720p is all you need (I have a 42" 720p TV, it's awesome.)

I have this: http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-Viera-TH-42PX80U-42-Inch-Plasma/dp/B00142HLV4/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1220806110&sr=8-1#

Brought it from there. Free shipping. They deliver it to you and let you hook it up before signing. If you find a similar delivery service allowing this, it beats the pants off retail prices (make sure to test it when they deliver it). If you don't like the idea of ordering online, I think Costco has excellent return policies and so forth.

LuckyR
09-08-2008, 02:57 PM
Okay - so here I am in need of a new tv. I have nothing against old CRT televisions but you can't find them anymore, so the choice is between plasma and lcd.

Plasma is better for sport, movies, better viewing in a dark room, your economical option in a larger size.

LCD is better for light rooms, much better in smaller sized screens, pretty much the only recommended option if you want to connect your computer to it (I don't, BTW), better for game playing.

My quandary is this - yes - i want to watch movies and sports mainly. I'm not a gamer and I'm happy to do my computing on my computer. However, my apartment is full of light and I don't really have the space for a huge screen. I understand that plasma's no longer have much trouble with burn in, and I also understand that the issues of dead pixels and slower refresh rate are not nearly the issues they used to be for lcd's.

I haven't had a great deal of time in front of either format. For a person like myself who doesn't really get all that excited about techy stuff, is there really a difference between the two? And which sounds like a better option for my needs?

While you have done your homework and your understanding is good, you need to see these screens in person, side by side. A great plasma picture is IMO miles ahead of LCD. The picture quality difference is so vast that my blind grandma whose VCR still blinks "12:00" can easily tell the difference.

AR15
09-08-2008, 03:05 PM
www.cnet.com

Check their reviews

galain
09-09-2008, 12:35 PM
Thanks for the feedback and lol at Lucky R! Mate - I intend to put in a few hours standing time in my local electronics store very shortly!

LuckyR
09-09-2008, 12:49 PM
Thanks for the feedback and lol at Lucky R! Mate - I intend to put in a few hours standing time in my local electronics store very shortly!

Glad to hear it. Trust me, it will take you 20 minutes tops to isolate the very best pictures.

WBF
09-09-2008, 12:53 PM
www.cnet.com

Check their reviews

Do check their reviews, but don't take them for gospel. Also peruse avsforum.com.

PCXL-Fan
09-09-2008, 01:07 PM
I work at an electronics store. And quite frankly i don't see much difference when standing 2.5- 3 meters away from a 42" 1080p screen and 720p screen. Even when running 1080p blueray disks on each.

Also don't worry about getting screens with fancy shmancy 30-48 bit 'deep color' hdtvs.

Bluray disk format itself is only capable of 24bit color, and thats not something possible to change without the disks becoming incompatable with all the profile 1.0, 1.1 and 1.2 players. And despite the possibilty of owning a profile 1.3 bluray player which themselves are being capable of deep colour and super expensive monster cable revision 1.3 hdmi cables being capable of transfering deep color as well, the bluray disks will never support higher than 24 bit regular colour (aka true color).

So basically you get zero benefit from owning a 'deep color' hdtv. The signals coming through the hdtv reciever are most likely component and even if they are 1080 over hdmi your still not going to be getting deep color for your tv channels. Both these things likely won't change for another decade.

mucat
09-09-2008, 01:40 PM
Pioneer plasma is on sale everywheere, best flat panel TV. And no, I don't have one. But if they were on sale when I was shopping for TV, I would buy them with no hesitation. I have a panasonic plasma, the next best thing.

LuckyR
09-09-2008, 01:48 PM
Pioneer plasma is on sale everywheere, best flat panel TV. And no, I don't have one. But if they were on sale when I was shopping for TV, I would buy them with no hesitation. I have a panasonic plasma, the next best thing.

I cannot agree more in your assessment of picture quality.

I have heard many say basically what PCXL-Fan said about 1080p vs 720p, however the difference between actual sets is pretty obvious to my eye. I have had it explained to me that it was other stats, not the 1080p stat, that accounted for the obvious picture quality difference. OK I can believe that but I still want the 1080p set with the better picture..

AR15
09-09-2008, 02:38 PM
Unless the sets in the store have all been calibrated the same, you can't make an honest comparison. It's kind of like the way speakers sound different in a store compared to how they will sound in your home.

A lot of tv's, like the 52" Samsung LCD I just purchased, have a "demo" mode that is used when the set is displayed in a retail store. When you watch the set at home, you do not use the "demo" mode that alters the picture.

mucat
09-09-2008, 03:44 PM
Unless the sets in the store have all been calibrated the same, you can't make an honest comparison. It's kind of like the way speakers sound different in a store compared to how they will sound in your home.

A lot of tv's, like the 52" Samsung LCD I just purchased, have a "demo" mode that is used when the set is displayed in a retail store. When you watch the set at home, you do not use the "demo" mode that alters the picture.

Yes, and LCD will win most of the time in demo mode or vivid mode if showing it to average joes. Because LCD has more vivid (cartoonish) but less accurate color representation than plasma.

RanchDressing
09-09-2008, 04:23 PM

BUY A LCD.
Trust me we have a 42inch plasma and 1 27some odd inch plasma and 1 42inch lcd and 1 46inch lcd. The lcd's blow the plasma out of the water.
And save up to buy a sony. Trust me, sony or hitachi are worth the money.
Plasmas look ok in the store because of the lighting, but at home the lcds are far better.
Typically a lcd will be higher quality aswell with more features, and with a little tiny bit of fiddling will look millions better than a plasma.
But it really comes down to how big you get and what res you get.... aka how much money you can spend, because we all deep down want the jiantagorious hitachis with 7surrond sound and HD.

RanchDressing
09-09-2008, 04:27 PM
Yes, and LCD will win most of the time in demo mode or vivid mode if showing it to average joes. Because LCD has more vivid (cartoonish) but less accurate color representation than plasma.

and that is untrue.

The plasma blends color "better" but as a very big stickler of video quality i can notice the difference.
THe plasma looks milky mished together.
it really comes down to your eye, some people (like me) can see the the screen refresshing if the rate isnt very fast. Some people think plasmas look better but their color definition is truly lacking.

mucat
09-09-2008, 04:50 PM
and that is untrue.

The plasma blends color "better" but as a very big stickler of video quality i can notice the difference.
THe plasma looks milky mished together.
it really comes down to your eye, some people (like me) can see the the screen refresshing if the rate isnt very fast. Some people think plasmas look better but their color definition is truly lacking.

http://www.hdtv.ca/plasma_lcd_projector/lcd_tv_versus_plasma_tv.php

I didn't search more links because most web sites basically said the same thing about Plasma vs. LCD. And I have done enough research when I was replacing my old TV.

LCD TV disadvantages :

Digital looking picture: Many LCD screens tend to have a "digital look " to the image and therefore don't seem to reproduce colors naturally.

Plasma TV Screen Advantages:

Natural looking picture: A plasma screen reproduces a picture in a similar manner to a standard tv .Name brand plasma tv colors tend to be natural looking and more accurate. Mo names can tend to be weak or soft on colors.

These charactistics are inherent from the technologies both type of screen use. Which means if you compare a equal quality LCD and equal quality plasma TV. A lot of people compare their branded name LCD to no name plasma or branded name plasma to no name LCD and they came to the wrong conclusion.

Personally, I don't have good enough eyesight to judge anything, but I've done enough research to know the fact.

If you know TV, you should know Pioneer plasma is the best TV you can buy for sometimes now. I heard newer Pioneer plasma is going to use Panasonic panel (people worry quality might decline). While Panasonic makes the second best plasma TV. Most AV folks said it is distant second. However, Panasonic plasma can still best most if not all LCDs in the market.

WBF
09-09-2008, 05:20 PM
BUY A LCD.
Trust me we have a 42inch plasma and 1 27some odd inch plasma and 1 42inch lcd and 1 46inch lcd. The lcd's blow the plasma out of the water.
And save up to buy a sony. Trust me, sony or hitachi are worth the money.
Plasmas look ok in the store because of the lighting, but at home the lcds are far better.
Typically a lcd will be higher quality aswell with more features, and with a little tiny bit of fiddling will look millions better than a plasma.
But it really comes down to how big you get and what res you get.... aka how much money you can spend, because we all deep down want the jiantagorious hitachis with 7surrond sound and HD.

Ignore this guy. He know nothing and is judging on his personal experience which probably involved **** tv's.

WBF
09-09-2008, 06:03 PM
mucat: that article must be old. Burn-in is essentially a non-factor nowadays, unless you watch something with still images for insanely long amounts of time (as in; leave it on for more than 24 hours). I've had no problem whatsoever, even watching the US Open on SD (USA has no HD on time warner) for hours and hours on end.

mucat
09-09-2008, 10:10 PM
mucat: that article must be old. Burn-in is essentially a non-factor nowadays, unless you watch something with still images for insanely long amounts of time (as in; leave it on for more than 24 hours). I've had no problem whatsoever, even watching the US Open on SD (USA has no HD on time warner) for hours and hours on end.

Yes, it is probably an outdated article.I just picked the first link I found and want to show RanchDressing Plasma has better picture than LCD.

I notice most people I heard having burn-in are using inferior brand plasma TV. I think there was a test done a while ago. The test involve showing a still image on a plasma for 48hrs. The end result shows no burn-in at all. But have image retention, after showing a regular video for 24 or 48 hrs (I don't remember which one), the image retention is gone. Now, remember, this is after showing a still image for 48hrs!

BTW, I use my plasma to play Wii, no image retention so far.

35ft6
09-09-2008, 11:10 PM
Plasmas have better picture.

Out of LCD, Samsungs and Sony's high end models rock from what I've seen.

For plasma, it's hard to go wrong with Panasonic or Pioneer.

Definitely don't get the bargain LCD's. Not sure if companies like Vizio have improved their components, but the friends who have Vizio hate it now. Their picture always look unnatural. Also, standard def pictures look better on plasma's.

And 720p is fine for anything under 45 inches.

elee3
09-09-2008, 11:27 PM
The differences between plasma and lcd keep closing in. Since you don't want something really huge and have a lot of light in your room I would go with lcd. Make sure the lcd isn't one of those with a glassy screen. Some lcds have a glassy screen very similar to plasmas.

One benefit of lcds over plasmas is lcds usually consume less energy. May want to check the power specs to find out the actual consumption.

And I would like to emphasize what some users may have mentioned. Buy lcds and plasmas from major brands like samsung, sony, etc. Models that are on sale for like $2000 off, check to see what year the model was introduced. There's usually pretty significant image quality differences between older models and newer models. And the bargin brands like Vizio are usually able to sell real cheap cause they are selling older models (or newer models using older tech).

galain
09-09-2008, 11:29 PM
Thanks again for the replies. I've taken it all on board and will try and spend some time at the store soon.

Much appreciated guys.

AR15
09-10-2008, 05:32 AM
I have two Panasonic Plasma's: a 50" and a 42". The 50" in 4 years old and still has an excellent picture. The 42" is new. Both are 720p/1080i. The 4 year old 50" has a XBox 360 attached, and after 4 years has zero burn-in.

I just bought (a couple of weeks ago) a new Samsung 52" LN52A650, 120 Hz LCD, 1080P. This is the one with the slightly reddish colored frame. It has an excellent picture too. I have a Blueray dvd attached. With the 120Hz, you don't get the blur on motion that you get with the standard 60Hz LCD's.

IMO, Plasma is still the better VALUE. I wouldn't get an LCD unless you get a 120Hz model like I got, but you have to pay a premium for that feature.

And, make sure you buy a calibration DVD to set up either set correctly.

Tallahassee_Technifibre
09-10-2008, 01:39 PM
The Samsung lcd 1080p looks pretty good when i watch my tennis.