PDA

View Full Version : My Fantasy Football Lineup for Today

Ignorant Genius
09-07-2008, 09:24 AM
Basic yardage + scoring, 10 team league. $500 entry fee, overall winner takes 60% of the entry fees. We start 1 QB, 1-2 RBs, 1-4 WRs, 1 TE, 1K, 1 DT (RB/WR total must = 5 (min 1 RB, max 2), so 9 starters each week)

My RB2 is Jamal Lewis (stop laughing) so I'm sitting him and his bad hammy on my bench this week. Yes, I am rockin' Ray Rice at RB2 this week, didn't like my other options of Forte, F. Taylor or Mendenhall. Also didn't want to go with 4 WRs.

Got off to a decent start with Plax & Portis on Thurs, so I like my chances this week.

Player
McNabb, Donovan PHI QB
Portis, Clinton WAS RB
Rice, Ray BAL RB vs
Burress, Plaxico NYG WR
Johnson, Andre HOU WR
Moss, Randy NEP WR
Winslow, Kellen CLE TE
Graham, Shayne CIN PK
Patriots, New England NEP Def

NickC
09-07-2008, 09:37 AM
New England defense? Not a bad choice at all. Who was your first overall pick?

Also, I thought the season started today? There was a game Thursday?

Ignorant Genius
09-07-2008, 10:12 AM
New England defense? Not a bad choice at all. Who was your first overall pick?

Also, I thought the season started today? There was a game Thursday?

1st pick was Portis, I had the 7th pick in the draft. Took Moss in the 2nd.

Yes, Skins vs. Giants were Thurs. night. Giants won, 16-7.

Moses Man
09-07-2008, 06:31 PM
Wow... nice choice with Donovan Mcnabb!

goober
09-07-2008, 07:08 PM
Basic yardage + scoring, 10 team league. $500 entry fee, overall winner takes 60% of the entry fees. We start 1 QB, 1-2 RBs, 1-4 WRs, 1 TE, 1K, 1 DT (RB/WR total must = 5 (min 1 RB, max 2), so 9 starters each week)

My RB2 is Jamal Lewis (stop laughing)

Sorry I am laughing at that pick :) That guy had one good year in 2003 and that's pretty much it. There had to be some better RB on the board than him when you drafted? Can you waive or trade players in your league?

Ignorant Genius
09-07-2008, 08:39 PM
Sorry I am laughing at that pick :) That guy had one good year in 2003 and that's pretty much it.

Do you watch the NFL?

In 2007 Lewis had 1,400+ total yards and 11 touchdowns.

In 2006 Lewis had 1,100+ total yards and 9 touchdowns.

He had a couple of bad seasons.....was arrested & jailed on drug charges, and hurt his knee.

I think I'll keep him on my fantasy team, but thanks for your expert advice.

PS,

I won my game today by 1 point.

goober
09-07-2008, 09:27 PM
Do you watch the NFL?

He had a couple of bad seasons.....was arrested & jailed on drug charges, and hurt his knee.

Actually he had 1,304 yards and 9 TDs in 2007 :p Oh wait I forgot you are the fantasy geek- Ok I will give you why I think he is a risk this year for having a subpar performance:

Last year was a contract year- motivation is not going to be there. Last year he had to get the paid the big $$ and prove to the Raven's they made a mistake. There are plenty of examples of this -i.e. Edgerrin James

He is in 9th year of NFL and 29 years old. He is definite on the downside of his career. He has had a prior major knee injury. With his current hammy- he may be have a lingering injury or may reinjure later on this season.

I predict he will have major downswing in performance this year.

We'll revisit this thread at the end of the season and if he has another 1,300 yard or greater season I'll eat crow. If he has a 1100-1200 season, we will call it awash. If has anything lower than yet- he's a bust.

NickC
09-07-2008, 09:29 PM
I'm not a big fan of the NFL (I just can't get into it, but that's a long story), but I did a little looking around ESPN today, just to see how everything went. I gotta ask, though: How high was Brady on the pick list? Did he go first round?

Gotta feel sorry for the guy in your league who got him! How long is he out for? Isn't it like 3-4 weeks minimum?

Ignorant Genius
09-07-2008, 10:02 PM
Actually he had 1,304 yards and 9 TDs in 2007 :p Oh wait I forgot you are the fantasy geek-

The site I saw says he had 1,176 yards rushing & 9 TDs.

He also had 247 yards receiving & 2 TDs.

Ok I will give you why I think he is a risk this year for having a subpar performance:

Last year was a contract year- motivation is not going to be there. Last year he had to get the paid the big $$ and prove to the Raven's they made a mistake. There are plenty of examples of this -i.e. Edgerrin James

The comparison to Edge is not all that valid. Arizona is a really bad team with a REALLY bad offensive line. They've improved the line some this year, so Edge may do better...last year he got hit in the backfield all season. Cleveland has a strong OL and a balanced offense, that's the main reason Lewis did well the last two years. And there are examples of players who got paid and then declined, but also examples of players that got paid and kept playing at a high level.

He is in 9th year of NFL and 29 years old. He is definite on the downside of his career. He has had a prior major knee injury. With his current hammy- he may be have a lingering injury or may reinjure later on this season.

Keep in mind he played about half a season for 2 or 3 years while he dealt with drug charges and injuries....so he's a bit fresher than the years would reflect. But he is definitely on the old side for a RB and he doesn't have a lot of time left in his career. I'm not too worried about that because I only need him to do well this year to help my fantasy team. The injury thing.....he played ok today with it. Any NFL player is basically one play away from a season ending injury so if you get caught up in guessing who will get hurt and who will stay healthy, you waste all of your time over-analyzing things.

BTW, he was praised by his coaches during training camp for showing up in what they called "the best shape of his career"......so I'm hoping he bounces back and stays relatively healthy this year.

I predict he will have major downswing in performance this year.

Every major fantasy football site disagrees with you, but you're entitled to your opinion.

We'll revisit this thread at the end of the season and if he has another 1,300 yard or greater season I'll eat crow. If he has a 1100-1200 season, we will call it awash. If has anything lower than yet- he's a bust.

We'll have to see what his yardage totals are and what his TD totals are. I don't think he'll exceed last year's numbers but I think he'll be reasonably close.....and that's all I need out of him.

And he may be on my bench anyway if Matt Forte continues to look as good as he did tonight.

Ignorant Genius
09-07-2008, 10:05 PM
I'm not a big fan of the NFL (I just can't get into it, but that's a long story), but I did a little looking around ESPN today, just to see how everything went. I gotta ask, though: How high was Brady on the pick list? Did he go first round?

Gotta feel sorry for the guy in your league who got him! How long is he out for? Isn't it like 3-4 weeks minimum?

Brady was drafted in the 1st or 2nd round of most "serious" leagues, he went in the 2nd round of the league I am posting about.

It has been announced that Brady is out for the year.

KFFL Breaking News
Brady to miss remainder of season

Adam Schefter, of the NFL Network, reports New England Patriots QB Tom Brady (knee) will miss the rest of the season due to a serious knee injury.

goober
09-07-2008, 11:01 PM
The comparison to Edge is not all that valid. Arizona is a really bad team with a REALLY bad offensive line. They've improved the line some this year, so Edge may do better...last year he got hit in the backfield all season. Cleveland has a strong OL and a balanced offense, that's the main reason Lewis did well the last two years. And there are examples of players who got paid and then declined, but also examples of players that got paid and kept playing at a high level.

Edge got 3.8 yards/carry today against a bad SF team. Doubt he is going to average much more this year.

The Browns attack is certainly balanced I'll give you that- 91 yards rushing and 114 passing today. Balanced suckage. yah it was the cowboys, we will see how they do next week. The preseason hype of the O-line I am not buying into yet.

Keep in mind he played about half a season for 2 or 3 years while he dealt with drug charges and injuries....so he's a bit fresher than the years would reflect. But he is definitely on the old side for a RB and he doesn't have a lot of time left in his career. I'm not too worried about that because I only need him to do well this year to help my fantasy team. The injury thing.....he played ok today with it. Any NFL player is basically one play away from a season ending injury so if you get caught up in guessing who will get hurt and who will stay healthy, you waste all of your time over-analyzing things.

True but the old guy with injuries playing a position that constantly gets pounded on is more of risk IMO.

Every major fantasy football site disagrees with you, but you're entitled to your opinion.

I don't follow fantasy sites. But here are a couple that are not high on him for this year:

http://fantasy.sportsoverdose.com/football/fantasy-busts-nfl-2008.html/
http://fantasy.fanhouse.com/2008/08/29/lacking-faith-in-jamal-lewis/

kairosntx
09-08-2008, 12:15 AM
Mcnabb turned out quite a perfomance on Sunday for you!

Here is my fantasy football lineup...

http://www.yorkshiresoul.org/fantasy%20football%20team.jpg

hollywood9826
09-08-2008, 04:06 AM
Not a bad looking team IG.

Depending on the backup QB. I just dont trust Donavans health personally. You better hope Jamal still has something left in the tank. If not your running backs are pretty mediocre.

Although you WRs are solid, and Winslow aint back. With Brady out it will be intersting to see what Moss does. But if This week was any indication that should be a fine pick.

I hear you on the Jamal Lewis thing though. He was an above average back and has always been. His last two years in Bmore he was basically running against 9 men in the box because they new McNair was not gonna beat them with the deep ball and still had decent numbers. I guess when you rush for 2000+ everyone expects you to that every year :) I say as long as he stays healthy he go for 1100+ and 7+ TDs.

2000 Baltimore Ravens 16 309 1,364 4.4 6
2001 Baltimore Ravens 0 0 0 0 0
2002 Baltimore Ravens 16 308 1,327 4.3 6
2003 Baltimore Ravens 16 387 2,066 5.3 14
2004 Baltimore Ravens 12 235 1,006 4.3 7
2005 Baltimore Ravens 15 269 906 3.4 3
2006 Baltimore Ravens 16 314 1,132 3.6 9
2007 Cleveland Browns 15 298 1,304 4.4 9

Ignorant Genius
09-08-2008, 11:35 AM
Not a bad looking team IG.

Thanks, Hollywood. I think it's a pretty good team overall.

Depending on the backup QB. I just dont trust Donavans health personally. You better hope Jamal still has something left in the tank. If not your running backs are pretty mediocre.

Backup QB is Phil Rivers.......solid, not spectacular but overall not a bad backup. And I don't trust McNabb's health all year either. RBs are a little light if Jamal doesn't come through. I loaded up at WR in hopes that I could get a good RB2 and if Jamal comes close to his stats from last year, I'll be fine.

Although you WRs are solid, and Winslow aint back. With Brady out it will be intersting to see what Moss does. But if This week was any indication that should be a fine pick.

Hard to say on Moss. He's a head case so if Cassell isn't getting the ball to him as often as he likes, he might just implode and become useless (like his stint in Oakland). I'm hoping he hangs in there, he could really help the team through a rough spot and does seem to be more mature now.....plus Bellichick won't put up with any nonsense and he knows it. I do think his stats will go down as the Pats will look to run more with an unproven QB playing for them. I honestly would not have drafted him if Brady had been hurt in the preseason.

I hear you on the Jamal Lewis thing though. He was an above average back and has always been. His last two years in Bmore he was basically running against 9 men in the box because they new McNair was not gonna beat them with the deep ball and still had decent numbers. I guess when you rush for 2000+ everyone expects you to that every year :) I say as long as he stays healthy he go for 1100+ and 7+ TDs.

Lewis is a beast when healthy and motivated. Great combination of power and speed. I think your predicted numbers for him are pretty spot on and I think he'll do about the same.

Ignorant Genius
09-08-2008, 11:42 AM
Edge got 3.8 yards/carry today against a bad SF team. Doubt he is going to average much more this year.

The Browns attack is certainly balanced I'll give you that- 91 yards rushing and 114 passing today. Balanced suckage. yah it was the cowboys, we will see how they do next week. The preseason hype of the O-line I am not buying into yet.

Edge - I said he might get better this year, but that doesn't mean he will. I wouldn't draft him for my team because of the crappy situation he's in.

The Browns had a bad day......a lot of teams are going to struggle against the Cowboys. They can eat up lots of time on offense and their defense is tough to move the ball against. Luckily, the Browns have a pretty easy schedule this year, so I think they'll do fine most weeks.

True but the old guy with injuries playing a position that constantly gets pounded on is more of risk IMO.

I don't disagree with you but I considered Lewis a reasonable risk for this season.

I don't follow fantasy sites. But here are a couple that are not high on him for this year:

http://fantasy.sportsoverdose.com/football/fantasy-busts-nfl-2008.html/
http://fantasy.fanhouse.com/2008/08/29/lacking-faith-in-jamal-lewis/

I've never heard of those sites. The major sites all had Lewis ranked in the top 12-15 backs in their preseason rankings.

If he doesn't perform I've got Forte who looked really good last night, and one of my other RBs might get on track by mid-season. If not, I can always try to swing a trade to shore things up at RB.

goober
09-14-2008, 11:04 PM
Jamal Lewis watch:

19 rushes 38 yards vs Steelers today.

hollywood9826
09-15-2008, 05:09 AM
And if you saw his thread he didnt start Jamal this week.

Jamal will get his just not against the Steelers when the wind is blowing 50 MPH so the D can stack 9 in the box.

Ignorant Genius
09-15-2008, 06:48 AM
And if you saw his thread he didnt start Jamal this week.

Jamal will get his just not against the Steelers when the wind is blowing 50 MPH so the D can stack 9 in the box.

Starting any RB against the Steelers is not a good idea, particularly if you've got another good option.

Starting a RB against the Steelers when it's windy and raining is just asking for trouble.

But Goober is trying to prove that Lewis is over the hill. It's a long season, we'll see how it shakes out in the end.

goober
09-22-2008, 10:14 AM
Jamal Lewis- 56 yards on 12 carries. Not a bad per average carry but not exactly fantasy numbers. :) I am not sure what happened to the "strong" O-Line and balanced offense. Look for Brady Quinn to get a lot of playing time or even start next week and the Defense to stack the line once again. The good news is they are playing the Bungles next week.

goober
11-06-2008, 01:22 PM
Week 9 update

66.6 y/g with a 3.6 per carry average.

No 100 yard games.

3 rushing TDs.

I hope he isn't putting a damper on your fantasy team:)

May want to look into Tim Hightower if he is available. I think he is going to have a break out second half of the season.

GPB
11-06-2008, 01:33 PM
Check out my lineup:
QB - Kurt Warner
RB - LaDainian Tomlinson
RB - Thomas Jones
WR - Calvin Johnson
WR - Anquan Boldin
TE - Owen Daniels
OP - Sage Rosenfels
D/ST - Steelers
K - Stephen Gostkowski

Then I have Plaxico Buress and Ryan Grant sitting the bench. (And I've got a bid in the waver wire to trade Rosenfels for Pennington. I had Orton, who was doing awesome, but when he got hurt I had to pick something else up for my OP spot).

Pretty stacked, huh?

goober
12-29-2008, 06:41 AM
Do you watch the NFL?

PS,

I won my game today by 1 point.

Well let's see how my "expert" advice turned out.

Jamal Lewis played in all 16 games. He had ZERO games rushing over 100 yards.

He averaged 62.6 YPG with a 3.6 per carry average. He did barely break 1000 yards with 1002 total rushing yards.

Totaled 4 TDs for the entire season.

Yep he was a fantasy bust.:)