PDA

View Full Version : How to increase flexibility?

nadalfan!
09-07-2008, 04:37 PM
How would you do this. I am terrible at flexibility and I want to get better to improve tennis so I reduce the risk of any injuries. Whats the best and fastest way to do this?

teamusa
09-07-2008, 05:58 PM
It all depends on what specific muscles you are trying to increase flexibility in.
It also depends on your current amount of flexibility and where you are trying to get.
Muscle tone, body weight, genetic factors, etc. all play a roll in it too.

Be more specific please.

seffina
09-07-2008, 06:56 PM
I want to increase mine as well, but it hasn't worked out so far. There was a little while when I was slightly flexible (I could do the splits and flips), but it's a struggle to stay flexible.

teamusa
09-07-2008, 07:11 PM
you should have an evaluation done by someone cognisant in the sports medicine field for more personally adapted info.

but read into this to get started:
http://www.playerdevelopment.usta.com/content/fullstory.sps?iNewsid=117406&itype=7418

nadalfan!
09-09-2008, 01:58 PM
you should have an evaluation done by someone cognisant in the sports medicine field for more personally adapted info.

but read into this to get started:
http://www.playerdevelopment.usta.com/content/fullstory.sps?iNewsid=117406&itype=7418

That doesn't really show me how to increase it. It just shows me the different type of stretches....:neutral:

Rickson
09-09-2008, 03:53 PM
After a thorough warmup, do some static stretching or stretching without any bounce. Make sure you don't go to the point of pain. Do not stretch before any athletic event such as a tennis match or before lifting weights. Static stretching following a warmup daily should increase your range of motion over time, but if you reach a plateau, I'll explain how to increase your flexibility after that. For now, just do this.

nadalfan!
09-10-2008, 05:24 PM
After a thorough warmup, do some static stretching or stretching without any bounce. Make sure you don't go to the point of pain. Do not stretch before any athletic event such as a tennis match or before lifting weights. Static stretching following a warmup daily should increase your range of motion over time, but if you reach a plateau, I'll explain how to increase your flexibility after that. For now, just do this.

Well, Rickson, I do stretch before and after tennis usually and why should I now do it before? Also I haven't had any real improvement. I still can't touch my toes and I am pretty healthy. I am not obeise but I guess my genetics have a role in this?:confused:

Rickson
09-10-2008, 06:23 PM
You should not stretch before a match because your relaxed muscles will not perform at their peak. You can increase your flexibility by adding resistance. You can do this by having a friend assist you. If your hamstrings are tight, try lying on your back and have a friend slowly push your leg toward you. You would start pushing your leg toward your friend and that added resistance will help you improve your flexibility. Be careful not to push too hard and don't have your friend push too hard either.

Zachol82
09-10-2008, 06:33 PM
Well, Rickson, I do stretch before and after tennis usually and why should I now do it before? Also I haven't had any real improvement. I still can't touch my toes and I am pretty healthy. I am not obeise but I guess my genetics have a role in this?:confused:

Static stretching is still the best way to increase flexibility. It's not reccomended to use static stretching before a tennis match because it actually weakens your muscles temporarily. The REAL stretching should be after you're done with tennis while your body is still warm. The stretches you do right before a tennis match should be light and SHOULD NOT make you feel pain anywhere.

What I do for static stretching is to hold my position right when the pain starts to come for about 30 seconds. Of course, after about 10 seconds, you should be use to that pain so stretch a little bit more until you feel that pain again and keep holding it for a total of 30 seconds.

If you do this correctly, which means deal with the pain and don't yield when it gets too painful, then you should not be stretching any one muscle for more than a total of 1 minute a day.

I started out only being able to touch my ankle and about a week later, I was able to easily grab a hold of my entire foot.

Remember to STRETCH EVERYDAY. There's no point in trying to overstretch one day and not stretch for another 3-4 days. If you want flexibility, stretching should be done every single day for only a short amount of time. Just remember how much pain you're in when you stretch and know that if you pause for even a day, then all that pain is going to be for nothing.

purple-n-gold
09-10-2008, 07:25 PM
It so hard to stretch everyday, i do though at least a few times a week. I like the static stretches for my groins and legs though. I took from that USTA article to do static 30-60mins before activity then rope or jog just prior to. I strained a groin last year and took awhile heal, some mornings there tight and the stretching helps.

Kobble
09-10-2008, 07:40 PM
PNF stretching is the best I have used. I'm not a flexibility nut, but when I want to improve further that stuff is the fastest.

BrainTennis
09-10-2008, 10:24 PM
Try this:

http://drill.wordpress.com/2006/09/03/stretching-splits-in-three-weeks/

My niece did this for dance and I did it with her to see if it really worked and it did.

BUT for those three weeks, it does take a lot of time. Compare three weeks of time consuming stretches vs. several months of shorter flexibility sessions - you'll have to judge what would serve you best (physically and timewise) and engage that chosen method. You can also employ the same techniques for other stretches if you need to.