PDA

View Full Version : Canadian PM dissolves parliament? what?

YULitle
09-07-2008, 07:27 PM
Someone who lives in Canada, please explain this to me. He dissolved parliament? That, to me, reeks of dictatorship... But, I feel like it has to be something more benign and simple. So, a little help? What does it mean? Is it normal?

xtremerunnerars
09-07-2008, 08:29 PM
from wikipedia...

The House of Commons, but not the Senate, can be dissolved at any time by the Governor-General, conventionally on the advice of the Prime Minister. If the government is refused confidence or supply, the Prime Minister must either resign and permit another member of the House of Commons to form a government, or else advise the Governor-General to dissolve Parliament. Also, the House of Commons automatically dissolves after five years, although no House of Commons has yet survived that long.

The Provincial legislatures may also be dissolved at any time for the same reasons, by the Lieutenant-Governor on the advice of the Premier. British Columbia and Ontario have established fixed election dates, to which the federal 5-year rule would apply.

CyBorg
09-07-2008, 08:46 PM
This irks me, although it's not unexpected. I work part-time covering parliamentary goings-on for public service.

Stephen Harper - I'm losing money because of your fat face.

CanadianChic
09-08-2008, 06:16 AM
I smell a Liberal in the midst. Sorry to hear you are losing money but I will take Harper over the thieves any day of the week on most issues.

CyBorg
09-08-2008, 05:59 PM
I smell a Liberal in the midst. Sorry to hear you are losing money but I will take Harper over the thieves any day of the week on most issues.

I don't know. Harper is taking enough of my money as it is. Maybe less, but still too much. I do like Ignatieff's cut of jib. If he displaces Dion I might vote.

I'm voting green, because my friends are all going, but the plan is really to get drunk after. As I've said before I don't vote, but I see this as essentially not voting, so I'm not fretting.