PDA

View Full Version : Does FEDERER play new strings??

ErwinFromParis
02-03-2005, 06:48 AM
I'have notice on TV Fed has no more this representative BBAlu's silver-grey (X) and Nat Gut's colors (M) on his string pattern during the AO.
It's now all the same mat white everywhere. I guess it is probably some new NXT from Wilson string industry that would have seduced him... Or a Wavepower mono in the whole pattern.
BTW I found his strokes less bouncy and loud than before but a bit more speedy... but I admit this is a subjective interpretation.

What do you think?

the_arod
02-03-2005, 08:34 AM
well, ta a close look at this pics and you'll see he didn't make a switch

http://www.tennisfan.org/gallery/dayone/78.jpg
http://www.tennisfan.org/gallery/daythree/02.jpg
http://www.tennisfan.org/gallery/dayfive/82.jpg

I agree with yo that in some photos the cross string looks white but that has to do with light.

regards,

christo
02-04-2005, 12:08 PM
Federer wouldn't use NXT or Wavepower in a million years.

christo
02-04-2005, 12:11 PM
Looks like NG mains and BB crosses

spksz
02-08-2005, 06:25 AM
i thought poly is usually used as a main? does any know why Fed uses it as a cross instead? and what diff this string pattern has from the poly(main)/ng(crosses) hybrid that A-Rod uses?

alan-n
02-08-2005, 12:26 PM
i thought poly is usually used as a main? does any know why Fed uses it as a cross instead? and what diff this string pattern has from the poly(main)/ng(crosses) hybrid that A-Rod uses?

String breakers, usually associated with hard hitting / mishitting extreme grips would use poly on mains for extra durability. If you have ever hit topspin with BB ALU, you'll understand why Fed likes the string... Poly doesnt move and you can really get in a grove and rip rediculous topspin angles with poly, it simply bits into the ball better. Down side of using poly is that it is somewhat siffer, and when the string goes dead, it goes dead immediately.

A-Rod early on his pro career used all poly, anyone who heard the Ferrocious sound of his serves at an indoor event can attest to that. Now he uses NG on crosses. Not sure why, babolat promoting hybrid string maybe? Or just want the string bed to be slightly softer on arm.

spksz
02-08-2005, 10:06 PM
i see...but whats the diff using poly as a main or cross?

alan-n
02-08-2005, 10:58 PM
i see...but whats the diff using poly as a main or cross?

Durability for the mains. Either eliminates string movement. Poly by its nature can have more spin potential whether it be on the crosses or mains.

Andy uses a more exteme western grip and grew up using synthetics and polys. So he keeps it on the mains.

Fed is more a touch player and obvious is sensitive to how the ball feels on the racquet, he doesn't use an exteme grip. Makes sense that he prefers gut on the mains.

the_arod
02-09-2005, 04:00 AM
i agree fed is a touch player, but why Nat. gut mains and BB crosses and not totally nat. gut?? :confused:

pro10is
02-22-2005, 01:26 PM
He uses Natural Gut 16 for the crosses, 23.5 kg. Best for power and feel. Luxilon Alu Power Rough 16 mains, 25 kg. Best for durabilaty.

tommytom11
02-22-2005, 05:52 PM
He uses Natural Gut 16 for the crosses, 23.5 kg. Best for power and feel. Luxilon Alu Power Rough 16 mains, 25 kg. Best for durabilaty.

hey man. no offense...but you have it completely backwards. he uses gut in the mains and the Alu rough in the crosses. the idea is to have the racquet play like gut with a little tighter stringbed to keep the ball from flying and to add good spin potential. durability is not an issue for him as he changes on ball changes and every day for practice.

spksz
02-23-2005, 06:45 AM
does the nat gut main/poly cross break really fast? anyone tried before? lets say you play bout four times a week? break in a month or what?

spksz
02-23-2005, 07:04 AM
and whats the best tension difference i could string each string so that it will not break so fast? gut main higher tension than poly cross or the other way round?

ty slothrop
02-23-2005, 08:50 AM
I am using 18 gauge bow mains and lux in the crosses of wilson roks with stringsavers in the entire sweetspot and haven't had a bit of fraying in like six weeks, but only playing 3-4 hours pr week since it's wintertime

strung 50 x 48 lbs

tommytom11
02-23-2005, 09:26 AM
does the nat gut main/poly cross break really fast? anyone tried before? lets say you play bout four times a week? break in a month or what?

it should last about the same as if you strung with all gut. the poly crosses aren't going to break easy at all. the gut mains will most likely go first.

spksz
02-23-2005, 09:29 AM
i see.if i should string a gut/poly hybrid i should use 2 lbs lower tension on the poly?

pstour90
02-25-2005, 12:43 PM

i did try feds exact setup about 6 months ago, strung at 62lbs in the mains and 65 in the crosses in my tour90. i am generally a fast string breaker, i break my usual dunlop maxcomfort16 strings in abt a week, but this combination did hold up quite well for me. i took 2 sticks strung up with feds combo to a camp where i played 7 hours a day for 5 days, and didnt pop the racquet i used teh WHOLE TIME...i was flabbergasted by the holdup of the natural gut...may i say the strings were quite frayed, but had not popped and still played fantastically. i think after that camp i played with the racquet abt 3 or 4 more times for abt 1.5 hrs each before it popped...second racquet lasted about the same length, maybe not quite as long. it is definitely a combo i would suggest, just quite pricey.

spksz
02-25-2005, 10:52 PM
would you recommend stringing the gut main higher than the poly cross or the other way round? what differences would it have if its strung either way?

bc-05
02-26-2005, 08:15 AM
hmm.. from those 3 pics.. i dont think my ncode and his ncode have any difference.. the shape is exactly the same.. except i have lead but he doesn't... he may have a customized ncode.. i have a customized ncode too.. so we both have customized ncode.. y do ppl complain? meh..

Perfect
02-26-2005, 08:28 AM
hmm.. from those 3 pics.. i dont think my ncode and his ncode have any difference.. the shape is exactly the same.. except i have lead but he doesn't... he may have a customized ncode.. i have a customized ncode too.. so we both have customized ncode.. y do ppl complain? meh..

Except that you have two different racquets. He has a Tour 90 paintjob with customizations like most pro's frames do.

bc-05
02-26-2005, 09:04 AM
well ok i know its different.. looks exactly the same though.. head size, string pattern, boxed beams, everything looks exactly the same i mean not just the paint.. so if i wanna lie to people that my racquet is federers that he gave me during ao 2005 no one will know.. coz its the same shape but different in weight, balance, yarda yarda to the stock ncode ;).. no one will know lol.. wouldn't the name of our racquet be the same? customized ncode? thats all i was saying though.. if people say fed's using a customized ncode which u cant get in the store.. u cant get my ncode in the store too ;)... oh well ur making me confused now so i better stop it.. bye

equinox
02-26-2005, 09:03 PM
I thought fed uses customised Chinese pro staff 6.0 85.
Approximately 89sq inches, even balanced, with nCode paintjob.

bc-05
02-27-2005, 02:12 AM
apparently no one knows what he uses.. hey u know that if you wanna go get a paint job.. you can go to a airbrush painter and they'll do it for u.. coz a friend of mine he's a airbrush painter for cars.. and i asked him if he could repaint my ncode because i had all those chipping from playing.. and he did it.. well eventhough its not exactly the same red as wilson's.. its close.. you probably cant tell if theres no other nsixone near u! ;) just thought u wanna know...