PDA

View Full Version : Protein supplements

Donewithhead
09-08-2008, 12:07 AM
Has anyone used these? I was using protein shakes in an attempt to reduce recovery time and prevent injuries. Despite also ensuring my fluid and electrolyte intake was adequate, I started cramping up a lot (mainly the calves). Anyone else have similar experiences?

chess9
09-08-2008, 03:26 AM
Are you saying you think the whey protein shakes caused your cramping? If so, I've never heard that before. Are you lactose intolerant? Do you have stomach issues with whey as well? Or, are you taking soy or egg protein?

You might try changing products. Which product were you using? If you are really finicky, you might try the Life Extension whey protein. It's a bit pricey, but it's clean protein.
-Robert

mista-k
09-08-2008, 04:41 AM
what protein shake should I use for smoothies? I tried whey and its too vanilla sweet for me...
I need to know brand/name/where to buy it

GPB
09-08-2008, 05:17 AM
Muscle Milk is awesome. Try their Banana Creme flavor if you want to make fruity smoothies, or their mint Chocolate Chip if you want to make chocolate ones. I LOVE the stuff!

mista-k
09-08-2008, 06:12 AM
Muscle Milk is awesome. Try their Banana Creme flavor if you want to make fruity smoothies, or their mint Chocolate Chip if you want to make chocolate ones. I LOVE the stuff!

so do I get to add natural fruit? do I get this in GNC? Ill go take a look...I want something in the fruit+berry+ice+yogurts >>smoothies

purple-n-gold
09-08-2008, 06:15 AM
If you're having problems with cramps try drinking a 32oz. gatorade the night before and hydrating yourself before going out in the heat. For tourneys I started taking a supplement called thermotabs, they're basically salt tabs only better and you can get em at most pharmacies. You need to replace sodium if it's hot i.e. pretzels,chips. I've seen alot of people down multiple gatorades and bananas when symptoms of cramping starts ,and although you need the potassium too, low sodium is usually the culprit of cramps.

Champion nutrition makes meal replacement shakes called Ultramet and with 1 cup skim or low fat milk they taste like a milkshake.

Hot Sauce
09-08-2008, 03:50 PM
Protein makes you fart like a MOTHER! And the potency of the smell is literally deadly.

Banger
09-08-2008, 03:55 PM
Does your protein powder contain Creatine? If so that could be causing the problem. Creatine has been know to cause cramping.