PDA

View Full Version : So, how'd your laparoscopic sigmoud colectomy go?

heartman
09-08-2008, 08:43 AM
Will undergo this procedure in a couple weeks - all seems rather straightforward - any veterans care to share stories of surgery and/or recovery? I'm out of work for 6 weeks - seems like a heckuva long time...

LuckyR
09-08-2008, 12:30 PM
Will undergo this procedure in a couple weeks - all seems rather straightforward - any veterans care to share stories of surgery and/or recovery? I'm out of work for 6 weeks - seems like a heckuva long time...

6 weeks?? Sounds like you're trying to pull one over on the Disability Ins folks...

heartman
09-09-2008, 06:40 PM
Surgeon will remove about a foot of my colon, then reattach the two healthy pieces. 5 days in the hospital, 5 weeks to get back on my feet. Just curious to find out if anyone had any experience with this procedure. I'll follow doc's orders...

LuckyR
09-11-2008, 07:53 AM
Since your colon is not used during exercise (hopefully) your activity level is unlikely to impact that part of the surgery.

If he is able to complete the procedure through the scope, your abdomenal incisions should be pretty small and not all that vulnerable to weakness during exercise. Naturally, speaking with the guy doing the procedure (as opposed to strangers on a tennis forum) is probably going to be your best bet, though.

scotus
09-11-2008, 08:17 AM
Surgeon will remove about a foot of my colon, then reattach the two healthy pieces. 5 days in the hospital, 5 weeks to get back on my feet. Just curious to find out if anyone had any experience with this procedure. I'll follow doc's orders...

Sounds like you will need a good nephrologist (among other docs) post-op.

El Diablo
09-11-2008, 08:49 AM
Nephrologist??? Why? Most reabsorption of water occurs in the first two-thirds of the colon (ascending and transverse) so he's not likely to have any significant fluid-electrolyte problems subsequently. Sigmoid colon mostly is for storage, so to speak.

scotus
09-11-2008, 12:51 PM
Nephrologist??? Why? Most reabsorption of water occurs in the first two-thirds of the colon (ascending and transverse) so he's not likely to have any significant fluid-electrolyte problems subsequently. Sigmoid colon mostly is for storage, so to speak.

Just have a friend in the same situation. Ever since the operation, she has been having trouble keeping her fluid-electrolytes in balance. All sorts of problems with her creatin, potassium, etc, etc.

Since you're a doctor, I would tend to think that she is a rare case. But who knows you might be like my doctor friend who has been telling me for years that a hemorrhoid surgery is very safe these days and that the chances of anything going wrong is slim ... until he got one himself.