PDA

View Full Version : Am I not suppose to use the regular grip by itself?

tracerit
09-09-2008, 05:23 AM
I see a lot of talk about leather and synthetic grips, but in the end almost everyone uses an overgrip which basically covers up the leather/syn grip.

How often do you switch out overgrips too?

scraps234
09-09-2008, 06:24 AM
i switch my overgrips whenever i play b4 a tourny and it is starting to get darker

canadave
09-09-2008, 11:49 AM
I see a lot of talk about leather and synthetic grips, but in the end almost everyone uses an overgrip which basically covers up the leather/syn grip.

How often do you switch out overgrips too?

I use Tournagrip, and I switch it out as soon as it starts to show significant wear and/or become irretrievably damp from sweat. The time? Varies, but usually if I have a fresh grip on, it'll take me about a season to wear it out (playing 2 or 3 times a week for about 2 or 3 hours a session).

The reason it's a good idea to use overgrips is that when they're worn out, you can take it off, throw it away, and put a new one on, for cheap. If you don't use an overgrip, and you start to wear out your leather/synthetic grip on your racquet, then you face a more expensive and time-consuming replacement process.

Plus, overgrips do a much better job at sweat absorption in general.

Power Player
09-09-2008, 11:58 AM
I use Tournagrip, and I switch it out as soon as it starts to show significant wear and/or become irretrievably damp from sweat. The time? Varies, but usually if I have a fresh grip on, it'll take me about a season to wear it out (playing 2 or 3 times a week for about 2 or 3 hours a session).

The reason it's a good idea to use overgrips is that when they're worn out, you can take it off, throw it away, and put a new one on, for cheap. If you don't use an overgrip, and you start to wear out your leather/synthetic grip on your racquet, then you face a more expensive and time-consuming replacement process.

Plus, overgrips do a much better job at sweat absorption in general.

This is true that overgrips are cheaper, but they also wear down really fast. I bought a Head ErgoFeel for 8 dollars, and that should last me a month or so.

What makes you say that replacing the grip is more time consuming? Don't you just staple and twist, then cut at an angle and done?

Dags
09-09-2008, 12:12 PM
Whether you use an overgrip or not is personal preference. Reasons you might want to do so include:

- making your grip bigger (typically by about half a size)
- overgrips tend to absorb sweat better
- you prefer the feel of a particular grip
- because overgrips wear more quickly you will replace them more regularly, keeping your grip fresher

I never used to use an overgrip, but when I was demoing racquets I played with one that had a Tournagrip on it, and I really liked the feel of it.

Power Player
09-09-2008, 12:54 PM
Whether you use an overgrip or not is personal preference. Reasons you might want to do so include:

- making your grip bigger (typically by about half a size)
- overgrips tend to absorb sweat better
- you prefer the feel of a particular grip
- because overgrips wear more quickly you will replace them more regularly, keeping your grip fresher

I never used to use an overgrip, but when I was demoing racquets I played with one that had a Tournagrip on it, and I really liked the feel of it.

Is it best to use a grip for a bit until it is worn, then put an overgrip on?

Dags
09-10-2008, 01:53 PM
Is it best to use a grip for a bit until it is worn, then put an overgrip on?
So long as the overgrip is able to wrap correctly (i.e. it is even, doesn't slip etc), then there would be nothing wrong with putting an overgrip on a worn grip. You may find a difference in the way if feels though, particularly if you use a synthetic grip underneath - building up a worn grip will mean you don't have the same cushioning for instance as if it's over a new grip.