PDA

View Full Version : hernia

Roberto
09-09-2008, 11:20 AM
I wonder how long it takes to get back in match-shape after a groin-hernia operation ? Has anyone been through this ? If so - how long did it take for you before you could play at the same level as before the operation ?

jmiller
09-09-2008, 11:28 AM
you too? I just made a post like this. oh well. I'm still not back to practicing yet and it has been 3 weeks since I had my surgery my doctor told me no heavy lifting or vigorous sports/activities for 5-6 weeks, but i want to do some light hitting now. and as for playing as how i did before, i think that might take a while i was definitely a person who liked to wear his opponent down and I am not in that kind of shape right now

albino smurf
09-09-2008, 11:36 AM
Ask your doctor. Take it very easy getting back into it.

Roberto
09-10-2008, 01:01 AM
Thanks and I did not see your thread jmiller. I hope you are recovering well. I'm 3 weeks behind your schedule - I just had my surgery done a few days ago and I'm finding even walking difficult at the moment. I'm a little worried because my game is pretty physical too with a lot of running and grinding. My plan was that I would start with easy ball hitting after 4 weeks and be in 100& shape at 8 weeks. Now I'm realizing that that might be a little too optimistic.
Let me know how your recovery to tennis goes jmiller.

jmiller
09-11-2008, 09:02 AM
Not a problem. I am recovering quite well. I talked with my doctor earlier today and he said it would be ok if i did some light hitting which i will start next week (4th week after surgery). I was in a lot of pain the first few days after my surgery too but I took the pain pills they gave me and they did generally work. i used them for little over a week then i didn't really need them anymore. I'll let you know more about my recovery later.

Bud
09-13-2008, 05:20 PM
I've had a hernia repair operation and I'd give it 4-6 weeks to heal before you start hitting again. Then start with light hitting and no matches. If you start to feel pain, cut back. Start match play when you can complete a hitting session with little or no pain. If it starts hurting during the match, cut back the intensity... even if it mean losing the match.

The trick is to give it a decent amount of time to heal, initially... then just play it by ear. If it starts hurting... whether hitting or during match play, you're overdoing it.

Bud
09-13-2008, 05:28 PM
Not a problem. I am recovering quite well. I talked with my doctor earlier today and he said it would be ok if i did some light hitting which i will start next week (4th week after surgery). I was in a lot of pain the first few days after my surgery too but I took the pain pills they gave me and they did generally work. i used them for little over a week then i didn't really need them anymore. I'll let you know more about my recovery later.

Same here.

The doctor gave me Vicodin first and then Percocet when the Vicodin failed to relieve the pain. The only pain relief the drugs offered was due to dizziness and grogginess, leading to deep sleep.

When I re-awoke, I was in pain again. That lasted for 2-3 days.

Was your surgery the traditional hernia surgery or did you opt for the laparoscopic method?

Boxofweasels
09-13-2008, 09:44 PM
I had laparascopic bilateral hernia surgery in the summer of 2005. I didn't start hitting until about the six-week mark but did do some light aerobic work and stretching starting at about four weeks post op. As you heal, you might experience some pain as you slightly stretch and tear some of the scar tissue that normally forms after a surgery like this. If you experience any pain or soreness just take it easy for a couple of days and it will pass. Have PATIENCE, don't overdue it - we all love being out on the court but give yourself a chance to properly heal. I was back at full speed in about a little over two months post op. A tight-fitting jock/brief might be helpful when you first get back on the court - your testicles will be a bit sore and it helps if they're not flying around :-)... Here's to your speedy recovery!

Roberto
09-14-2008, 03:01 AM
Mine was the traditional technique so maby it could take some weeks longer for me to get in shape.

Rickson
09-14-2008, 04:22 AM
If you got stitched instead of the mesh, you might take a little longer to heal. Take it easy for at least a month.

Roberto
10-21-2008, 11:44 AM

I'm back. It took 6 weeks. I'm maby moving just a little cautios still but already playing and moving at 90%. How is it going for you JMiller- already back to 100% ?

Il Mostro
10-21-2008, 11:51 AM
Modified Shouldice method here. This thread brings back memories of the first few days of recovery. :-( My doc injected and doused the tissue around the mesh and stitches with a healthy dose of lidocaine before closing me up; this technique does make it more comfortable for a while.

El Pelele
10-21-2008, 12:44 PM
I was operated for hernia too when i was 6 years old. Took me like a month or 3 weeks maybe to get back to normal me.

El Pelele
10-21-2008, 12:46 PM
I wonder how long it takes to get back in match-shape after a groin-hernia operation ? Has anyone been through this ? If so - how long did it take for you before you could play at the same level as before the operation ?

you too? I just made a post like this. oh well. I'm still not back to practicing yet and it has been 3 weeks since I had my surgery my doctor told me no heavy lifting or vigorous sports/activities for 5-6 weeks, but i want to do some light hitting now. and as for playing as how i did before, i think that might take a while i was definitely a person who liked to wear his opponent down and I am not in that kind of shape right now

how did you both get hernia?

Me was because of the dumb maid we had. She didn't give me good things to eat while my parents were away or not in the house, or just gave me crackers and cookies and stuff, so come poop time, they say i had a hard time doing it lol

Roberto
10-22-2008, 05:36 AM
I just noticed mine when I was out jogging. It started to hurt in the groin and I noticed a swelling.

If you had yours at 6, I believe yours was a so called indirect lateral hernia and you would've had problems with it sooner or later even without that diet.