PDA

View Full Version : How can people get HD quality picture with rabbit ear antennas?

pmata814
09-09-2008, 04:43 PM
I want to know how people can get HD quality picture using rabbit ear antennas? I was under the impression that you can only transmit HD picture through HDMI or component cables? (HDMI is how I'm currently connecting my Dish Network receiver) The rabbit ear antennas only have coaxial cables so how would my tv be able to reproduce HD quality if it's receiving signal through a coaxial cable? Thanks for any help.

PCXL-Fan
09-09-2008, 04:58 PM
Well its called ATSC and it depends what city you are in. Some don't offer it yet. You'll need an ATSC tuner, your analog tv tuner wont do. Most HDTVs practically every mainstream brand come with them now.

jamauss
09-09-2008, 04:59 PM
there are some HD broadcasts that are available "OTA" (over the air) - you just need the right kind of antennae to pick them up.

mellofelow
09-09-2008, 09:05 PM
Yes, major cities are broadcasting HD over the air now. Just make sure your HD TV has tuner built in.

If all the above checked, use the following link to see how far you're away from the broadcast station. Because the signal is fairly directional, you'll need the antenna type recommended on the website.

http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/welcome.aspx

pmata814
09-09-2008, 09:21 PM
How do I know if my TV has a built in tuner? I own a 50 in. Panasonic Viera (plasma). I currently have HD through dishnetwork but I have to connect the receiver via HDMI or Component cables. I'm still confused as to how the antenna would transmit HD quality through coaxial cable?

mellofelow
09-09-2008, 09:50 PM
I also have a 50" Pani plasma.... LOL. If it's the same or newer model TH 50PX60U, it has the tuner.

The antenna connects to ANT in the back. And yes, it looks like a coax connection. Once that's connected to an antenna, you must go to channel setup and scan mode 'ALL'. When complete, the HD channels should be in the local channel number with a decimal. For example, CBS is channel 2. 2 = SD and 2.1 = HD

NBC is channel 4, 4 = SD and 4.1 = HD.

I have compared the local channel quality between Dishnetwork and over-the-air. OTA quality is much better!

pmata814
09-10-2008, 06:00 AM
I also have a 50" Pani plasma.... LOL. If it's the same or newer model TH 50PX60U, it has the tuner.

The antenna connects to ANT in the back. And yes, it looks like a coax connection. Once that's connected to an antenna, you must go to channel setup and scan mode 'ALL'. When complete, the HD channels should be in the local channel number with a decimal. For example, CBS is channel 2. 2 = SD and 2.1 = HD

NBC is channel 4, 4 = SD and 4.1 = HD.

I have compared the local channel quality between Dishnetwork and over-the-air. OTA quality is much better!

Thanks! I'll go out and get one this weekend :)