PDA

View Full Version : String savers pattern?

In)SpiRe
09-09-2008, 05:41 PM
I've been reading that there are certain ways that people put on string savers that I just totally don't get and I would appreciate it if someone could clarify it for me. I've read stuff like zig zag pattern, 3x3, x pattern or some stuff like that. Any clarification? Thanks!

tennisfreak15347
09-09-2008, 06:16 PM
generrally, people put on string savers to reduce notching ( which means increased string life) and to greatly reduce string movement. however, the catch is a stiffer feel in the stringbend. some people simply put string savers wherever they see string notching, such as a lot of natural-gut users. there is no correct pattern to put on string savers, but some popular methods are the zig-zag, federer's pattern, and the 3 x 3. I can draw some out for you. the X represents the string savers, and the O's represent the strings without string savers.
Zig-zag
xoxoxoxoxoxoxox
oxoxoxoxoxoxoxo
xoxoxoxoxoxoxox
oxoxoxoxoxoxoxo
xoxoxoxoxoxoxox .
The Federer. ( he only puts one set of zig-zags( two sets of 5 stringsavers on two upper-middle crosses).
xoxoxoxoxo
ooooooooo
oxoxoxoxox

and the 3 x 3 pattern for the sweetspot only
xxx
xxx
xxx

In)SpiRe
09-09-2008, 06:20 PM
Ah, that helps alot! Thanks!

Valjean
09-10-2008, 04:21 AM
A diamond pattern is preferred by many, with the two decisions after it being how many to put in, when.

ClubHoUno
09-10-2008, 04:59 AM
A diamond pattern is preferred by many, with the two decisions after it being how many to put in, when.

Like this:

http://i28.tinypic.com/296lqvo.jpg

http://i31.tinypic.com/10s4vsw.jpg

I've cut down a bit on the number of string savers, I install though - now I use 32 and not 48, which was a bit excessive.

Kcraig
09-10-2008, 09:08 AM

That is what I have used--starting with about the 5th cross down and skipping every other main string--I end up with about 16ish-really extended the life of my gut/poly setup.