PDA

View Full Version : Achilles Tendinitis

larry10s
09-10-2008, 04:52 AM
have a small tear on top of chronic tendinosis of my left achilles tendon. am familiar with eccentric strengthening(thanks chicagojack) .if anyone has had this injury and recovered would you share what you did and how long did it take?

SystemicAnomaly
09-17-2008, 02:01 AM
I had an Achilles tendon tear (& tendinopathy) more than 10 years ago. It took quite a while (several years) to recover from this as I already had ankle and heel spurs (from an older injury). the tear might have been a result of compensating for the bone spurs.

Is your condition currently a tendinitis or a tendinosis? In either case, regular icing (or ice massage) might be a good idea. If inflammation is present, an NSAID, such as ibuprofen, could help. You should also look into foods and herbs that have an anti-inflammatory effect. I've listed quite a few of these in several other threads.

Do you tape your ankles or use a compression wrap when playing? Other things that might help include Achilles tendon straps, heel pads, and orthotics. A custom orthotic might be best, but you might try an OTC product like SUPERfeet inserts or SOLE (http://www2.yoursole.com/products/footbeds/?id=9HXkER7D) footbeds (http://www2.yoursole.com/products/footbeds/?id=9HXkER7D). More info:

SportsInjuryClinic.net/cybertherapist/back/achilles/tendinitis.htm (http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/cybertherapist/back/achilles/tendinitis.htm)

www.SuperFeet.com/foot-health/FHI2.aspx (http://www.superfeet.com/foot-health/FHI2.aspx)

dandz
09-17-2008, 06:59 AM
I think I had tendonitis, because there was swelling I beleive. If yours is tendonosis, then it might possibly take more time to heal. In any case, I just taped my ankle everytime before playing to restrict the range of movement, and it took about 4 months to heal.

have a small tear on top of chronic tendinosis of my left achilles tendon. am familiar with eccentric strengthening(thanks chicagojack) .if anyone has had this injury and recovered would you share what you did and how long did it take?

larry10s
09-17-2008, 10:38 AM
i have both tendonosis from chronic achilles problems and an acute partial tear with tendinitis. chicagojack's thread from several years ago was very thorough. wondered if any one else did the eccentric strengthening and what was the results. am taking nsaids and icing. i use a heel lift and custom orthotics for years.

NoBadMojo
09-17-2008, 12:07 PM

took me about 8 years in total to rid myself of this nastiness. i posted a lot about this malady a long while ago after trying a myriad of things

you can make things worse and to have it take longer to heal by stretching <especially if the wrong type of stretching>

i hope your orthotics and lifts are the more rigid supportive ones. custom orthotics with heel lifts and no more stretching are how i beat this..along with resting them as much as possible....i still have to be careful about serve and volleying to any extent, and how many consectutive days I play, but am not otherwise hindered by this in anyway other than perhaps a little arthritis there now when the barometer drops big time

Roberto
09-17-2008, 11:33 PM
I would recommend akilles-tendon-stretching atleast twice/day for the rest of your life.
You could also try to have a heel-pad (3-5 months) to raise the heel when your walking - this will take some load of the achilles tendon. Ask your doctor to prescribe you both antiinflammatory pills and lotion and use those 4-8 weeks.
There are also splints developed for this problem. These are so called night-splints which keep your achilles stretched when you are sleeping and you wear them only nighttime.
Avoid painful exercises (tennis) atleast for a couple of months until your tendon feels better. If you cannot resist tennis, then you should atleast put something cold around the back of your heel after playing.

Somebody will propably recommend you cortison/corticosteroid injections to your tendon. I would not recommend those because they weaken the tendon and there would be a big risk of a total tendon rupture. If you start feeling crepitation (rittling rattling sound and feel) around your achilles tendon miniheparin injections (given by your doctor) are sometimes helpful.

I hope you get better but it will take 3-6 months, maby even longer. If it won't get better in 6 months go and see your surgeon. If nothing of the above helps and if there are a lot of inflammatory and necrotic tissue visible in the MRI, he might then consider an operation as the last option (the results are not always that good).

Roberto
09-17-2008, 11:41 PM
I have to add that the above I recommend if you have a chronic tendinosis. If you have an acute partial tear you should not start with the stretching and antiinflammatory before the tear has healed. If you suspect an acute tear you should see your doctor and propably have an MRI done. If there are an acute partial tear you would need somekind of immobilisaton for a while - if the tear is large, surgery should be considered.

Hot Sauce
09-18-2008, 12:54 AM
I have had it for the past 2 months. Started physio today, I'll tell you how it works out.

Fred132
09-24-2008, 10:12 AM

I've struggled with it the last couple years. After the initial pain and swelling settled down I did eccentric strengthening religiously, and I think it helped.

A mistake I made was trying to come back to tennis too soon..I made a couple of false starts that put me back on the sidelines. Mine was a bad case, and it took me about a year and a half to recover.

There was a long thread here on the subject at the time (maybe started by NoBadMojo or Chicagojack?) that was VERY helpful. I had it bookmarked, but for some reason my bookmark is pointing to the wrong thread. In any case, I agree with the sentiment that you should never try to stretch an achilles that is injured.

There are a lot of injuries that one can grit their teeth, strap it up and play through....achilles injuries do not fall in this category. You've got to stop, assess and rehab or you're liable to be on the sidelines for a long time.

0range
09-24-2008, 06:42 PM
I have had it for the past 2 months. Started physio today, I'll tell you how it works out.

Yes please.

Which physio do you go to? their work quality really varies. I hurt mine over 5 month ago and the pain is still there.

Ronaldo
09-24-2008, 07:12 PM
Had this problem, sitting with a book under your toes as much as possible to stretch out the tendon helped. Stood against a wall on a declining board worked too. Finally, a sleeping cast worked out the pain in about 3 weeks.

scotus
09-24-2008, 08:40 PM
Whatever happened to Chicagojack? I don't remember seeing his posts anywhere recently.

scotus
09-24-2008, 08:41 PM
Is your condition currently a tendinitis or a tendinosis? In either case, regular icing (or ice massage) might be a good idea. If inflammation is present, an NSAID, such as ibuprofen, could help. You should also look into foods and herbs that have an anti-inflammatory effect. I've listed quite a few of these in several other threads.

What is "ice massage"?

christo
09-24-2008, 10:18 PM
A tennis buddy of mine is a podiatrist, he put a small amount of a wadding like material in the heels of my tennies to lift the heel. At the same time I started wearing nothing Nike Air Max shoes and the pain went away! Before i could barely get down the stairs in the morning, last night I played 3 tough sets and popped out of bed pain free this morning.

Hot Sauce
09-24-2008, 10:38 PM
Yes please.

Which physio do you go to? their work quality really varies. I hurt mine over 5 month ago and the pain is still there.

I think it's something like West Coast Physiotherapy. It's been about 3 months now, and I'm feeling a LOT better. The pain started to go away about a week ago for me. I've taken 2 sessions of physio, and I don't think I need to go back. I played tennis yesterday, and I didn't feel any pain, so I'm pretty happy. It really just takes time, but icing multiple times a day, and wearing a brace really helps.

Hot Sauce
09-24-2008, 10:38 PM
A tennis buddy of mine is a podiatrist, he put a small amount of a wadding like material in the heels of my tennies to lift the heel. At the same time I started wearing nothing Nike Air Max shoes and the pain went away! Before i could barely get down the stairs in the morning, last night I played 3 tough sets and popped out of bed pain free this morning.

Is that plantar fasciatis?

0range
09-24-2008, 11:03 PM
I think it's something like West Coast Physiotherapy. It's been about 3 months now, and I'm feeling a LOT better. The pain started to go away about a week ago for me. I've taken 2 sessions of physio, and I don't think I need to go back. I played tennis yesterday, and I didn't feel any pain, so I'm pretty happy. It really just takes time, but icing multiple times a day, and wearing a brace really helps.

Wow what was done at the physio? Ultrasound massage? electric current zapping? stretch/exercises?

Hot Sauce
09-24-2008, 11:51 PM
Wow what was done at the physio? Ultrasound massage? electric current zapping? stretch/exercises?

Yeah, all of that. After my first physio session, my calf was sore for a whole week! The good kind of sore though, like after a workout.

SystemicAnomaly
09-25-2008, 12:07 AM
What is "ice massage"?

Ice can be directly applied to the skin as long as you don't hold it in one spot for too long -- slowly keep it moving. Quite often an ice massage can be done using an "ice cup". You can buy a commercial ice cup or just make your own using a styrofoam cup or a Dixie (paper) cup. More info on ice massage and ice cup:

http://saveyourself.ca/articles/icing.php

A massage with an ice cup can be very effective but also very messy. Another variation that is almost as effective, but not very messy, is to use a small plastic water bottle. A 16 oz or 20 oz water bottle will work quite well. Fill it about 3/4 full with liquid water and then cap it & freeze it. This ice massager may not be quite as effective as direct ice for cooling the inflamed area, but it still worthwhile since you can bear down on it while performing the massage.

NoBadMojo
09-25-2008, 09:14 AM

that works well if your foot strike is good as it helps prevent your achilles from hyper extending on the long axis, but doesnt prevent from tweaking on the other axis (for that you need orthotics). you need to watch this closely for a while as this has a way or recurring

alternatively, you can go to a shoemaker (harder to find these days) and have him build heel lifts for you out of a firm felt material...this was taught to me by a mountain climbing physician friend (mountain climbers seem to get this problem a lot). i took this a step farther and had them glue the lifts into the shoe inserts and that kept the lifts from moving around and i could still move them from showe to shoe. this kept me going for a while, but my problem is a very poor heel strike, so i went with custom sports orthotics and had them build firm lifts into the heel which covered both things at once..if i dint have the orthotics i wouldnt be able to play

NoBadMojo
09-25-2008, 09:16 AM
Ice can be directly applied to the skin as long as you don't hold it in one spot for too long -- slowly keep it moving. Quite often an ice massage can be done using an "ice cup". You can buy a commercial ice cup or just make your own using a styrofoam cup or a Dixie (paper) cup. More info on ice massage and ice cup:

http://saveyourself.ca/articles/icing.php

A massage with an ice cup can be very effective but also very messy. Another variation that is almost as effective, but not very messy, is to use a small plastic water bottle. A 16 oz or 20 oz water bottle will work quite well. Fill it about 3/4 full with liquid water and then cap it & freeze it. This ice massager may not be quite as effective as direct ice for cooling the inflamed area, but it still worthwhile since you can bear down on it while performing the massage.

or check in your freezer and grab a bag of frozen vegetable and use it to ice down...i prefer the peas w. no butter sauce :)

SystemicAnomaly
09-26-2008, 05:00 AM
or check in your freezer and grab a bag of frozen vegetable and use it to ice down...i prefer the peas w. no butter sauce :)

I've done this before. The frozen peas formed very nicely around my knee. However, I had a tendency to leave the 'peas on the knees' for too long -- I ended up smelling like pea soup more than once. And the peas are not suitable for eating after doing this a few times. Perhaps I should have alternated with frozen corn.

Ice massage is probably still the most effective icing method.

Hot Sauce
09-26-2008, 11:01 AM
Cook those peas off your leg and eat them!

ringer
10-31-2008, 06:59 PM
I'm probably not giving you any new info here, but ice helps, anti-inflammatories help, too. I use a prescription called Indomethicin (could be spelled wrong). It helps with all my aches, but is tough on the stomach and can't be taken everyday. There are others out there that are more gentle, ask your doctor.

Stretching is very important. Before I play I do a little jogging in place or light jumping to warm the Achilles before I stretch them. After tennis ALWAYS stretch your Achilles. Then ice and medication if necessary.

But the one thing that has helped me most is tape. I tape both my ankles before I play and it is the only thing that allows me to push off and not be in pain - braces didn't work, only tape. An added plus is you aren't likely to roll your ankle while playing either. But tape usually lessens the pain I feel the next day, too. I'm not sure this will ever get better, but with tape, ice, and pills its very bearable.

ringer
10-31-2008, 07:04 PM
One more thing. Be careful in the morning. Your feet lie in bed all night with the tendon in a relaxed position. When your feet hit the floor first thing in the morning and the tendon is stretched out with all your weight on it you can feel pain. I lie in bed and try to wiggle and mildly stretch my feet before putting weight on them. Then when I do get out of bed I sort of "waddle" when I walk - LOL. But it helps until everything gets stretched out.

Ronaldo
11-01-2008, 02:28 PM
One more thing. Be careful in the morning. Your feet lie in bed all night with the tendon in a relaxed position. When your feet hit the floor first thing in the morning and the tendon is stretched out with all your weight on it you can feel pain. I lie in bed and try to wiggle and mildly stretch my feet before putting weight on them. Then when I do get out of bed I sort of "waddle" when I walk - LOL. But it helps until everything gets stretched out.

Wore a sleeping cast for a month when I had achilles tendonitis. Was pain-free after getting up in the morning by keeping the foot from dangling, shortening the tendon. However by mid morning the old ache returned.