PDA

View Full Version : Bumb Bells

Matty G
09-10-2008, 09:18 AM
When doing dumb bells is it good to vary your routine or can you do the same evey day?I heard that if you do the same thing you dont build musle because the repetition gets stored in your muscel memory!

Matty G
09-10-2008, 09:19 AM
Sorry meant to be dumb bells in the name

chess9
09-10-2008, 09:27 AM
Yes, vary your routine. Get a good book on lifting from one of the online booksellers, or join one of the online sites that have lifting advice. There's also tons of free stuff on the net. Google will deliver the world to your fingertips. :)

-Robert

Kobble
09-10-2008, 12:36 PM
I think varying your routine will likely develop bigger muscles due hitting different muscle groups and motor units. Some have argued that muscle confusion for the sake of strength is baseless, because the Law of Specificity trumps it. Meaning, the best way to get good at doing a close grip bench press is a close grip bench press. Just like trying to use squats to get great at leg extension, or vice versa. I have read a good amount of material on strength, 1 vs. 3 vs. more sets, rep ranges, periodization, and the one thing that always holds true is the Law of Specificity.

ClayisFun
09-12-2008, 11:27 AM
You have to vary your routine. Strength is dependent on how many muscle fibers you can recruit at once. If you don't vary your routine you burn out your central nervous system, and your body won't be able to recruit as many muscle fibers anymore. This is why people periodize their training. Heavy for three weeks, light the next, Incline bench for three weeks, flat for two, etc.. However, you have to stick to a routine long enough for your body to know it needs to build those muscles to compensate for the strain you're putting on them. All in the balance. . .

0range
09-12-2008, 07:31 PM
You could also varies the way you train a muscle group by using dumbell, barbell and cables on different days/week.

Fedace
09-12-2008, 07:41 PM
You could also varies the way you train a muscle group by using dumbell, barbell and cables on different days/week.

I don't always have time to go to the Gym. Do you guys know any Tennis specific exercises you can do with a dumbell you can buy at a local store, that you can just do at home ??:confused:

0range
09-12-2008, 07:45 PM
I don't always have time to go to the Gym. Do you guys know any Tennis specific exercises you can do with a dumbell you can buy at a local store, that you can just do at home ??:confused:

For effective tennis specific exercises you need rubber cords and medicine ball.

Fedace
09-12-2008, 07:46 PM
For effective tennis specific exercises you need rubber cords and medicine ball.

I don't have time for that. i need something SIMPLE with the dumbells that i can do at home while i am reading a Book or watching TV. do you know any ??:confused:

0range
09-12-2008, 07:48 PM
I don't have time for that. i need something SIMPLE with the dumbells that i can do at home while i am reading a Book or watching TV. do you know any ??:confused:

Rubber cord exercises are also simple and can be done at home... but I don't know any tennis specific exercises that's done with dumbells, sorry.

0range
09-12-2008, 07:50 PM
Oh one simple exercise you can do is squeeze a half-dead tennis ball as many times as you can, and then rest for a minute, and repeat.

That'll strengthen your forearm so you have more solid grip/volleys and less chance of developing TE.

Of course there are also tons of other exercises designed specificly to help your forehand/backhand serve... etc. But they're more complicated.

Squeezing a half-dead tennis ball is very simple, and you can do it while watching TV.

Fedace
09-12-2008, 07:53 PM
Oh one simple exercise you can do is squeeze a half-dead tennis ball as many times as you can, and then rest for a minute, and repeat.

That'll strengthen your forearm so you have more solid grip/volleys and less chance of developing TE.

Of course there are also tons of other exercises designed specificly to help your forehand/backhand serve... etc. But they're more complicated.

Squeezing a half-dead tennis ball is very simple, and you can do it while watching TV.

I don't have to worry about TE since my technique is flawless-don't mean to sound conceded. what about that for forehand and backhand and serve deal ?? what can i do for that ?? any pictures ?? Sold of like JP Mcenroe was doing in US open road trip commercial with Rafa ??? like that ??? :confused:

Fedace
09-12-2008, 07:54 PM
Rubber cord exercises are also simple and can be done at home... but I don't know any tennis specific exercises that's done with dumbells, sorry.

Where can i buy this rubber cord ??? and which exercies with it, can i do at home ?? any pictures ??:confused:

0range
09-12-2008, 07:59 PM
I don't have to worry about TE since my technique is flawless-don't mean to sound conceded. what about that for forehand and backhand and serve deal ?? what can i do for that ?? any pictures ?? Sold of like JP Mcenroe was doing in US open road trip commercial with Rafa ??? like that ??? :confused:

For forehand and backhand you need a rubber cord and a medicine ball; the medicine ball helps with trunk rotation and you need a partner for that. Both are complicated exercises and I don't think they're that necessary for tennis developement (as they're designed for you to develope explosive power not injury prevention).

However, with serve, exercises that strenghten muscles that stablizes the rotator cuff helps a lot! (and it's a good exercise coz it also helps with injury prevention) I'm speaking from my own experience... 6 month ago I complained that I serve cream puffs now I serve harder than most teenage boys (I'm a young woman).

I don't know how to explain it but there's a page on the ATP website that shows some of the good rotator cuff exercises that you can do: http://www.atptennis.com/3/en/formandfitness/injurymanagement/pdf/ShoulderPain.pdf

0range
09-12-2008, 08:01 PM
Where can i buy this rubber cord ??? and which exercies with it, can i do at home ?? any pictures ??:confused:

Rubber cords or rubber bands, you can get it at any major stores that has a fitness equipment section or any store that carries fitness ball, dumbells...etc. And it should be cheap.

Check out the link above for some of the exercises you can do.

0range
09-12-2008, 08:03 PM
ps. I got most of the information from one of my coach and some from trusted websites.

Fedace
09-14-2008, 01:43 PM
Rubber cords or rubber bands, you can get it at any major stores that has a fitness equipment section or any store that carries fitness ball, dumbells...etc. And it should be cheap.

Check out the link above for some of the exercises you can do.

what about the ones you can do with dumbbells ?? where is the link to that ?:confused:

Rickson
09-14-2008, 02:19 PM
That's true, Kobble. A lot of people want to improve their vertical leap by doing leg presses. The only way to jump higher is to jump. It's like trying to throw a baseball farther by doing a lot of upper body exercises in the gym. A 250 lb. bodybuilder with a monstrous upper body would most likely be much stronger than a major league outfielder, but he'll never throw the ball farther than the pro baseball player just by doing some gym exercises.

Dags
09-14-2008, 03:11 PM
When doing dumb bells is it good to vary your routine or can you do the same evey day?

Unless you're working with light weights, you shouldn't work the same muscles every day. You tear them during training, and the recovery time is when they mend and get stronger. Try to mix up your routine: upper body one day, lower body the next, or weights followed by cardio.

tlm
09-14-2008, 04:11 PM
You dont need tennis specific exersizes,just a basic lifting program can do wonders for your tennis game+ your health. The rubber tubing mentioned is a great way to get some exersize at home.

I would still suggest to get some dumbells, if you can afford it purchase 5-40 lbs sets of dumbells. With a weight bench + a complete set of dumbells you can get a great workout right at home.

I dare anyone to workout 3-4 times a week on a good basic weight training program for a few months. Then see how you feel+also see how it helps your tennis game.

Rickson
09-14-2008, 08:50 PM
Shock the system every once in a while.