PDA

View Full Version : Strings that will make my Microgel Prestige MP come to life

Gugafan
09-10-2008, 01:29 PM
Can anyone recommend a good string(s) to use in my MG Prestige MP. I am thinking about using Lux Alu power strung relatively low (51 lbs), but will this overcome the dead feeling im getting with the 'Head control string' at the moment. Furthermore, will a poly in a dense string pattern work effectively for an 'agressive baseliner' who wants more spin from the raquet (particularly on forehand).

Thanks guys...any tips will be much appreciated.

Valjean
09-10-2008, 05:40 PM
You are contemplating THAT kind of string change!?!!! To poly for touch and feel? That's going from dead to deader.

JW10S
09-10-2008, 05:44 PM
Try HEAD's Sonic Pro

Gugafan
09-10-2008, 07:12 PM
You are contemplating THAT kind of string change!?!!! To poly for touch and feel? That's going from dead to deader.

The Head control string is the factory string in the raquet...it has no spin potential or power whatsoever. I want a string that will work well in the dense string pattern...and give me lots of spin and bite. Touch is not really an issue as I'm predominantly a baseliner. However something with feel is desirable.

Valjean
09-10-2008, 07:17 PM
Gosen's OG Sheep Micro Super JC, Jim Courier's former string.

Richie Rich
09-10-2008, 07:46 PM
FWIW, i have unique big hitter 17g mains at 54 and babolat conquest 18g at 56 in the crosses of my MGP MP's.

i get a lot of spin. i don't get great feel when at the net but it's adequate.

all depends what you are looking for. if you want feel don't use a poly. if you can live with some "deadness" a poly at low 50's might be what you want so you can knock the cover off the ball.

you may have to experiment with a few strings to see what you like, and also what your arm can take :lol:

Gugafan
09-10-2008, 07:59 PM
FWIW, i have unique big hitter 17g mains at 54 and babolat conquest 18g at 56 in the crosses of my MGP MP's.

i get a lot of spin. i don't get great feel when at the net but it's adequate.

all depends what you are looking for. if you want feel don't use a poly. if you can live with some "deadness" a poly at low 50's might be what you want so you can knock the cover off the ball.

you may have to experiment with a few strings to see what you like, and also what your arm can take :lol:

Thanks dude..the tension u suggest sounds about right if im going to use a poly. Have u made any modifictions to your MGP MP...I played with the factory strings and could not get any purchase with my forehand crosscourt.

Any other MG prestige users...what string do u recommend?

eric892
09-14-2008, 07:23 AM
Hi, I'm using bab x-cel premium 16G for my MGP mid+. Topspin is decent but I think because I hit flat and control is awesome!

kevsaenz
09-14-2008, 08:03 PM
On my MGPP i use Enduro Pro 17 mains and PSGD crosses at 62-65 lbs

kevsaenz
09-14-2008, 08:04 PM
MGP MP*
10 char

Quikj
09-15-2008, 01:01 PM
Pro Hurricane Tour gives great bite for awesome spin potential. It's also a fairly soft poly so it isn't too hard on the arm. Throw some Gamma Professional on the crosses and you're golden. With this combo, you don't need to drop tension that sacrifices way too much control.

nCode747
09-15-2008, 01:32 PM
have you tried natural gut

kevsaenz
09-15-2008, 03:01 PM
On my MGPP i use Enduro Pro 17 mains and PSGD crosses at 62-65 lbs

i should also point out that i like my racket dead low powered and like a piece of wood.

Gugafan
05-19-2009, 05:40 PM
Thought I would resurrect this thread...Since the Original Post, I have tried SPPP 1.18mm and Big Ace 1.25mm ....The latter providing more pop but still finding it difficult to generate pace.

Some users have suggested a full poly setup does not work well in a MGPMP.

What is the best combination of string/strings that will assist in power and spin.

I dont want to string with Alu Power because of its rapid tension loss...Maybe BB original full setup in an 18x20?? or any other tried and tested hyrbids.

Also does stringing the mains and cross at different tensions really improve ball pocketing??..

ronalditop
05-19-2009, 05:58 PM
im currently using a full poly setup, tecnifibre polyspin at 54. Im getting good spin, control, adecuate power, and nice feel. But im thinking of going for a thinner gauge next time, to get more spin and feel.

JediMindTrick
05-20-2009, 06:48 AM
Thought I would resurrect this thread...Since the Original Post, I have tried SPPP 1.18mm and Big Ace 1.25mm ....The latter providing more pop but still finding it difficult to generate pace.

Some users have suggested a full poly setup does not work well in a MGPMP.

What is the best combination of string/strings that will assist in power and spin.

I dont want to string with Alu Power because of its rapid tension loss...Maybe BB original full setup in an 18x20?? or any other tried and tested hyrbids.

Also does stringing the mains and cross at different tensions really improve ball pocketing??..

Honestly, if you want more power, why are you wasting your time with polys? Go straight for the X1 Biphase.

Gugafan
05-20-2009, 04:40 PM
Honestly, if you want more power, why are you wasting your time with polys? Go straight for the X1 Biphase.

X1 is abit too expensive...15 a set and I hear its durability is not great.

colan5934
05-23-2009, 11:50 AM
I just installed Kirschbaum Spiky Shark in my MGPMP @ 59# and it is great. The feel is wonderful and it pockets even better than the Tech. Multifeel that I had in before. Loads of power, spin, and liveliness, but it is all easily controlled.

marosmith
05-23-2009, 04:42 PM
You want the best of everything, if you don't break strimgs, go natural gut and you will never go back.

Seacoast Stringer
05-23-2009, 05:49 PM
Or at least go with gut mains in a hybrid setup. You will certainly "liven up" the frame's performance.

spt
05-23-2009, 06:58 PM
I am playing with a radical - but am really liking Lux M2. It is expensive, but for me, it does not seem to go dead as quickly as other polys.

lawlitssoo1n
05-23-2009, 07:56 PM
can't go wrong with natural gut

kashgotmoney
05-23-2009, 10:15 PM
just get luxilon big banger original rough 16