PDA

View Full Version : Tennis in the rain

DizBoiDanny
09-10-2008, 02:58 PM
So, has anyone done it? I have :D. On tuesday there were a match against this other school. We played half way when it started to rain. At first it was a light rain, playable. But it start to rain harder so we went in. But i asked my friend if they wanted to play in the rain. He goes sure.

OH BOY. Was it fun. Sure, it would mess up my strings and grip but i really didn't care. I can tell you now, the balls move faster, lower, and you have to hit with more power. But make sure you grip your racket harder to because it will slip.

All of yall should do this.

Murray_Maniac
09-10-2008, 03:04 PM
So, has anyone done it? I have :D. On tuesday there were a match against this other school. We played half way when it started to rain. At first it was a light rain, playable. But it start to rain harder so we went in. But i asked my friend if they wanted to play in the rain. He goes sure.

OH BOY. Was it fun. Sure, it would mess up my strings and grip but i really didn't care. I can tell you now, the balls move faster, lower, and you have to hit with more power. But make sure you grip your racket harder to because it will slip.

Thank you Mr. I want everbody injured, lol jk. But really if ya play in the rain, just hit only a few balls and dont run. Ive only done it for a sec & the balls are soo heavy. Fun? Not quite enough for the risks.

DizBoiDanny
09-10-2008, 03:24 PM
Yeah you're right Murry_Maniac i didn't run i slide all over the courts.

Feña14
09-10-2008, 03:30 PM
I'm from England..

We do nothing else :)

10s talk
09-10-2008, 04:24 PM
on a hard court you are a fool

clay is a different story

Z-Man
09-10-2008, 06:02 PM
I've played in the rain many times. It's fun, but only on clay. The only bad part is serving--the raindrops on your eyelids trigger the blinking reflex.

DizBoiDanny
09-10-2008, 06:02 PM
of course us americans play on hard court. Wish i can try claycourt or grass.

LanEvo
09-10-2008, 06:24 PM
the question to me is who hasnt done this?

certifiedjatt
09-10-2008, 06:41 PM
i have done this, but only because we waited for a court for 45 minutes and people got off just when it started to drizzle. i can tell you that it's the stupidest thing you can ever do. once the courts get wet, you're putting your head, face, legs, knees, ankles wrists, hands, arms, ribs, elbows, etc. etc. in a dangerous set of circumstances.

my partner fell and landed on his racket . he didn't break anything but we stopped right then and there.

if it's drizzling and the court is more wet than dry, call it a day.

teckid
09-10-2008, 06:42 PM
I played once after a big rain in houston. the balls were heavy, my gut stings got really mushy and i cut them out the next day (they were at the end of the their life cycle anyways). the playing was very conservative and movement was restrained. but it was really fun and a great lasting memory. no one got hurt, except for a can of balls and a worn out set of gut strings.

tbini87
09-10-2008, 06:48 PM
it only took me a few seconds to find out that it wasn't a good idea

SoBad
09-10-2008, 06:55 PM
I played a set once in heavy rain for fun (hardcourts), because we just wanted to keep playing. The practical impact of the heavy rain was leveling ground between skill levels (my opponent friend is a level above me), and also making serve an overwhelmingly dominant factor. Every successful return is precious in heavy rain! I ended up losing in a very close tiebreak…:(

mrDamien
09-10-2008, 06:58 PM
I love to watch girl playing under the rain. You can expect a lot of wonderful action and scene from them :).

Dino Lagaffe
09-10-2008, 11:05 PM
I played in sleet once, in England. Crazy...

adams_1
09-11-2008, 02:40 AM
Played a semi final in the wet a couple of years back, on hardcourts. We had to sweep the water off the court with a broom.

Fortunately the rain was only very light when we were playing.

heycal
09-11-2008, 07:15 AM
I did it once a couple of years ago, and I"m not exactly some young kid. Played through a heavy rain on a hard court, on lighted courts. Terrifying for those of who fear injury, yet we just couldn't bring ourselves to stop. We just tried to move gingerly.

As Sobad says, the serve become a huge factor, as the ball stayed really low and skidded -- not to mention splashed -- on the serve. Made me imagine what grass might be like.

It's now a great memory, but perilous and not recommended.

wyutani
09-11-2008, 07:18 AM

playing tennis in the rain is like playing on clay. best alternative i have here in my country. lolz.

FloridaAG
09-11-2008, 07:23 AM
On hard courts, when I was young and stupid - yes frequently - now - no

Now - on clay in a drizzle or slightly more and only until the court saturates - and they kick us off

littleboi21
09-11-2008, 07:39 AM
Yes I have. The best part -- topspin is very visible.

Nuke
09-11-2008, 09:54 AM
Yeah, big topspin + soaked balls = pretty spray pattern

gonzalocatalino
09-11-2008, 10:02 AM
i do, on clay of course.

DizBoiDanny
09-11-2008, 01:20 PM
Clay court? How did you play on clay?
I almost broke my raquet while playing. I serve the ball so many times and the raquet almost fell off my hand. But lucky i grab it as soon as it was sliding off.

ATIRagePro
09-12-2008, 12:26 PM
I played tennis in the rain on hard courts a few times. My goodness I almost broke my ankles and my strings were ruined after that haha.

Oui, c'est moi.
09-12-2008, 12:51 PM
Play outdoor tennis. In Britain. Crazy weather. All year round.