PDA

View Full Version : First Poly Exp and New set ups?

AznRamenDude
09-10-2008, 07:07 PM
hello fellow members who also love to sit and talk about tennis,

i am on my first poly experience right now for the past week. Usually, it was all syn gut for me. Wilson Syn Gut Extreme was my top choice. But hearing the "ooo" and "ahh..." of poly, i thought it was time for me to give it a try.

So i strung up with Pro Hurricane @53. First impression: wtf
I heard that poly was a bit harsh, but i really didnt expected this level. I played with it freash from its string job, and it was an awful experience. Then i read about allowing the string to "set", so the next day, i played with it again. It felt better than before, not as harsh, but still not what i thought.

To me, it felt dead, a bit harsh, not really any pop or crispness, and the spin i got was a bit worse than wilson syn. extreme. all in all, it felt like plastic. this could be the string, but it isnt a welcomeing experience to polys.

Well, i'm discourage (yet). Going to take it as a hybrid next and here was what i was thinking:
a)Techfibre Pro Red Code mains & Wilson Syn. Extreme @ 53/57
b)Tech* Pro Red Code mains & Prince Syn w/ Durarflex @ 53/57
c)Tech* Pro Red.... & Prince Lightning xx @ 53/57 (again)

I heard that Red Code was a softer string yet still has good bite. What do you think of the hybrid? Good or bad and i'm also open to other suggestion.

Thank You! (sorry for the long post) :)

Zach
09-10-2008, 07:14 PM
First of all, I don't know why everyone thinks RedCode is a softer string than Pro Hurricane/ Hurricane Tour, because it's not.
Secondly, poly might just not be the string for you.
Third, there could be a reason why poly is not working well for you. It works best for people that have really good racket head acceleration, not saying you don't have that, but if you don't, then yeah I'd say poly isn't a good choice.

MTChong
09-10-2008, 08:42 PM
RedCode is very stiff. I'm been looking for a softer polyester, but so far, haven't had too much luck. Even the softer ones feel a bit harsh compared to standard synthetic gut strings.

That said, a lot of people have said that Polyfibre TCS is pretty soft. I've tried it out in a hybrid, and it's still pretty stiff feeling. That said, I normally use multifilament hybrids and only sometimes use standard synthetic guts because of elbow issues I've had.

nickarnold2000
09-10-2008, 08:50 PM
A cheaper choice then TCS is Topspin's Cyber Blue(Power)/main with a nice soft syngut(my fav Forten sweet 17) as a cross. Remember to keep the tension 10% lower than what you would usually use. As someone mentioned above, you really do need good racket head speed to get the most out of poly.

Uncle Emmitt
09-10-2008, 09:11 PM
:shock:Many WTA players don't use poly's. Serena, Justine, Kim Clijsters and many others. Venus I think too.

Some top male players don't either but most of the do whether it's a hybrid or full string job.

I use a hybrid and it does help spin the ball with good racquet head speed but if racquet head speed is not really fast I wouldn't recomend it. Feel is not the best.

Agree with Zach's comments. If you don't like it after a few weeks then probably stick to a multi or other synthetic string unless you have $50 for every gut string job. :shock:

Gut to me still feels the best. Want more spin increase your tension on your regular string by 2 or 3 lbs.

AznRamenDude
09-10-2008, 11:01 PM
Its not so much as the harshness that gets me. Its more of the dead feel and the lack of spin. For something that calls itself "Pro Hurricane" (note: i didnt base it off the name when i choose this string) and some good review of the string, i would imagine that the poly would at least give me more spin. all in all, the thing that bugs me the most was the dead feel. i want something crisp.

I want a string that is crisp and produce good spin (and yes, i do have a fairly good racquet head speed). It was only mainly harsh on really off center hits, though i must admit poly are hasher than i thought they were. I dont mind it too much as long as its still crisp and gots good spin, its a fair trade. :) plus i hope that the syn or multi crosses will help with that.

I dont want to give and base my impression on just 1 poly. going to try a few more, and if no result, guess i'm not just a poly guy.

I will be sure to keep Topspin cyberflash in mind. Still going to try Red Code first though. I decide to pair it up with Wilson Syn. I'm not a string breaker so i'm wondering if i should go with the 16 or 17 of Red Code.

Your takes?

smirker
09-10-2008, 11:23 PM
Its not so much as the harshness that gets me. Its more of the dead feel and the lack of spin. For something that calls itself "Pro Hurricane" (note: i didnt base it off the name when i choose this string) and some good review of the string, i would imagine that the poly would at least give me more spin. all in all, the thing that bugs me the most was the dead feel. i want something crisp.

I want a string that is crisp and produce good spin (and yes, i do have a fairly good racquet head speed). It was only mainly harsh on really off center hits, though i must admit poly are hasher than i thought they were. I dont mind it too much as long as its still crisp and gots good spin, its a fair trade. :) plus i hope that the syn or multi crosses will help with that.

I dont want to give and base my impression on just 1 poly. going to try a few more, and if no result, guess i'm not just a poly guy.

I will be sure to keep Topspin cyberflash in mind. Still going to try Red Code first though. I decide to pair it up with Wilson Syn. I'm not a string breaker so i'm wondering if i should go with the 16 or 17 of Red Code.

Your takes?

Go with the 18 Redcode. it is softer than the other gauges and should produce the bite you are looking for. In fact any poly under 1.20 should help. Look at BA Micro, Timo 1.10, BB Ace 1.12 or if you want a readymade hybrid with loads of spin try the Gamma TNT Fusion (19 gauge main) available on TW

Uncle Emmitt
09-23-2008, 06:46 AM
agree with smirker. even 18 poly doesn't break fast and you will prob get more bite. Will probably break crosses first. Only prob would be if you have a super open string pattern then might try 17 gage. I've hit with 16 red code and liked it.

SlapShot
09-23-2008, 07:15 AM
Spin is a function of technique. You should select your string based on the feel you desire, the aspects of the string that you want (more durability, less tension drop, etc), not based on what the pros use or what everyone on here is raving about.

The spin associated with poly is due to being able to really put a good swing on the ball because it's a low powered swing. If you don't have the batspeed to really make poly work, you probably shouldn't be using it.

If you want a softer poly, look at Pro Supex Big Ace or Big Ace Micro. It's the only poly that I can use in a full bed without pain. Pro Redcode is harsh and nasty, even in a hybrid.

drummerdan
09-23-2008, 09:38 AM
I too, jumped on the poly bandwagon recently (3 weeks or so) and I am loving it. First, it is a bit more harsh than my previous string (Prince Syn Gut 16 original - I used it for 20+ years) but only slightly. I'm using Unique Poly Big Hitter 17 ga because the reviews I read indicated that it felt like Luxilon Big Banger but not as hard on your arm. Since I haven't tried the Luxilon string, I can't comment on the comparison. Plus, it's less than half the price (around $6-7 a set). I plan on trying them both out as a comparison in the future.

I strung it 10% lower than the Prince and it worked out very well. It's true for me that if I let it sit for a day before playing with it, it does feel much better. Spin, control are better than the old string and there's no string movement. So far, I've played 7 or 8 hours on it with no noticeable change in feel or tension from when I started. I would say that I have found a winner!

Hope that helps.