PDA

View Full Version : Hybrid strings breaking fast?

Scuderia
09-11-2008, 12:21 AM
Hi all,

I've switched my string job from for multi to a hybrid of Luxilon BB 16 and NXT 17's. I decided to experiment with a 54/51 tension and absolutely loved it. Mains are NXT. Its weird, cause i basically only had 4 hours play time with the set and they broke yesterday. I've strung a set before at 58/56 and they lasted around a month. I can't really say anything about my NTRP rating cause i honestly dont know it, but my shots are relatively flat with moderate to high pace. Is it probably a bad string job? Cause from what i know lowering the tension will also prolong strings.

Thanks for reading, and looking forward to your inputs.

smirker
09-11-2008, 12:55 AM
Hi all,

I've switched my string job from for multi to a hybrid of Luxilon BB 16 and NXT 17's. I decided to experiment with a 54/51 tension and absolutely loved it. Mains are NXT. Its weird, cause i basically only had 4 hours play time with the set and they broke yesterday. I've strung a set before at 58/56 and they lasted around a month. I can't really say anything about my NTRP rating cause i honestly dont know it, but my shots are relatively flat with moderate to high pace. Is it probably a bad string job? Cause from what i know lowering the tension will also prolong strings.

Thanks for reading, and looking forward to your inputs.

No, not a bad string job and lowering tension is unlikely to help much either. With the multi in the main crossed with a stiff poly like BB you cannot expect it to last long as the cross just saws through the main. There is always a trade off between playability/durability with this set up. You could try a thicker gauge multi or cheaper strings so the frequent re-stringing will not cost as much.

Personally I use Pro Supex Maxim Touch in the mains crossed with Big ace. It plays well and probably costs like 1/3 of your set up so the durability doesn't bother me too much. BA is like $80 for 200m and the MT not much more:)

Scuderia
09-11-2008, 07:44 PM
Hey,

Thanks for the clear-up, makes good sense now. I do like the extra pop from stringing the multis in the mains though. Would string savers help? Maybe I should just string the polys in the mains again.

Carlito
09-11-2008, 07:56 PM
Im suprised you even got 4 hours out of that. Have you tried them the other way around? They will last a really long time and still play pretty similar.

Scuderia
09-11-2008, 09:51 PM
Yeah, before I strung NXT in the mains I did it the other way around. Lasted around 2 months, i only changed it cause my friends told me to give it a try because of better pop. Ill most likely go back with BB's mains.