PDA

View Full Version : babolat natural gut

eproxy
09-11-2008, 03:25 AM
I have been using polys and multis all during my 5-6yrs course of tennis, but I am itching to try out natural gut. Locally (I'm staying in Taiwan), I am able to get babolat gut at quite reasonable price. I have the choice of choosing from vs team, vs touch and discovery gut(but there's no tonic avaliable). TW does not see discovery gut, and I was wondering if anyone can share their thoughts on it. I am putting durability first and playability second. I would like a recommendation which one of the above three I should choose. tks

Tim W
09-11-2008, 03:55 AM
How do you play? Topspin, slice, whatever?

LttlElvis
09-11-2008, 05:34 AM
VS Team 17g is the best gut I have used as far as playability. VS Touch 16 g has a little more durability and the feel is slightly less than VS Team. VS Team and Touch are similarly priced. For the money, I use Tonic+ because it is just a little more durable (not a whole lot), but it is $10 less expensive. Don't know what Discovery is and I wonder if it might be a re-labeled Tonic+ where you live.

I've been using gut for a couple of years now, and because of the price, Tonic+ has been my favorite. I'm a string breaker and probably get only 6 to 8 hrs on my strings.

McLovin
09-11-2008, 05:40 AM
My only gripe w/ Tonic + is that it tends to slip in my gripper due to the coating applied to it.

Now, I'm certain its a problem w/ my stringer, and not the string, but it is the only string that I have a problem with, and I'm not about to buy a new stringer just so I can use Tonic +...

eproxy
09-11-2008, 05:59 AM
http://goods.ruten.com.tw/item/show?11071230675733
http://goods.ruten.com.tw/item/show?11071226478099
I play with lots of topspin on my forehand, both flat and spin 1 hand bh and will try and sv when possible.
Also I am undecided on which racquet to string the gut with. My main stick is dnx 10mid, but also play with ag100 and ps85 from time to time.

eproxy
09-11-2008, 06:00 AM
sorry, i forgot to ask. What about vs power? the auction site says that vs power 17 was last used by sampras??

downdaline
09-11-2008, 07:52 AM
Try it, at least once. But BEWARE - feel is very addictive. I used to be a hybrid user until i got too curious and tried natural gut.

See my sig now? Yeah, end of story...

Rabbit
09-11-2008, 09:21 AM
My only gripe w/ Tonic + is that it tends to slip in my gripper due to the coating applied to it.

Now, I'm certain its a problem w/ my stringer, and not the string, but it is the only string that I have a problem with, and I'm not about to buy a new stringer just so I can use Tonic +...

Try cleaning your gripper, that might solve the problem. I've found on my Neos that after two stringings, I pretty much need to clean my clamps.

volusiano
09-11-2008, 02:44 PM
VS Team 17g is the best gut I have used as far as playability. VS Touch 16 g has a little more durability and the feel is slightly less than VS Team. VS Team and Touch are similarly priced. For the money, I use Tonic+ because it is just a little more durable (not a whole lot), but it is $10 less expensive. Don't know what Discovery is and I wonder if it might be a re-labeled Tonic+ where you live.

I've been using gut for a couple of years now, and because of the price, Tonic+ has been my favorite. I'm a string breaker and probably get only 6 to 8 hrs on my strings.

If Tonic+ is cheaper and more durable, what do you give up with Tonic+? Feel?