PDA

View Full Version : How to build a tennis court????

ht4444____
09-11-2008, 06:41 AM
How to construct a hard court????
Does anyone haves a tutorial or something like that????

firstblud
09-11-2008, 09:51 AM
i read that it will cost about 50k in california

Il Mostro
09-11-2008, 11:00 AM
I'd love to have a crushed shell court for that taste of the tropics, with an adjacent wet bar stocked only with icy cold beers from sub-equitorial locales. As they say in Samoa, "downum coldies". ;-)

volusiano
09-11-2008, 01:16 PM
Are you just curious about the steps involved? Or are you serious about building your own courts DIY style?

If the later, I would suggest you leave it to a professional. It's more complicated than you think to do it right.

mtommer
09-11-2008, 07:34 PM
How to construct a hard court????
Does anyone haves a tutorial or something like that????

This isn't really something you can do without the right machinery, which isn't available to the "home builder" type crowd, we're talking road construction type of machinery. Although they have smaller versions it's essentially laying down tarmac. Now, for the steps involved, realistically you could probably cut a lot of the cost if you know how to prep the ground right. This of course involves taking into account proper water drainage, land surveying, landscape grading, etc. Then, you've got to start with a sand base, a crushed rock base, a gravel filler base, etc, until you've got a properly prepared surface for the tarmac to be laid down. In short, no, you're not going to be doing this cheap or on your own. You pay to have a company do it for you and I've heard $20,000+ isn't a stretch. Then of course there's the fencing...get the point? (Sorry to burst the bubble)

If you don't mind grass, this is a lot easier for the average Joe to do. It takes a little work, making sure the ground is flat etc. and taking water drainage into account, but then it's essentially just mow, paint, anchor the net posts and play.

njohnson
09-12-2008, 11:47 AM
My boss has a crushed stone or gravel court, not sure if that is any cheaper. He said drainage is tough in that when it rains it doesn't dry fast like a hard court would.

I know if I was to build a court I'd probably extend it to also be a basketball court so I get double bang for the buck.