PDA

View Full Version : Which string breaks first? The Mains or the Cross?

lidation
09-11-2008, 07:38 AM
I break Synthetic Guts every 10 hours of playing. And always, the cross breaks first at around the sweet spot (usually at the lower part of the sweet spot - closer to the handle).

Does this tell something about my game or is it just normal? One of my acquantances told me that he breaks the mains easier.

vandre
09-11-2008, 07:44 AM
i think it depends of the player's individual game.

in college, one of the guys i knew was a spin monkey and always broke his mains first. i hit much flatter and broke crosses first.

i think the fact that it broke in the sweetspot is a good sign! :)

FloridaAG
09-11-2008, 07:48 AM
In a synthetic or multi, I always break the mains first - now that I use poly mains and multi crosses, I break the crosses - although really tension loss etc. makes it unplayable before then usually

mozzer
09-11-2008, 08:28 AM
I always break a syn gut cross in my hybrid. Cant speak for a fullbed of syngut or poly as i have only ever used hybrids.

Steve Huff
09-11-2008, 11:08 AM
With so many players using hybrids these days, its tough to say. Poly mains with syn. or multi crosses--usually the cross breaks first.

Often, with only a multi, the cross with fray and break first. Others, I've found that the mains usually break first.

Nellie
09-11-2008, 11:21 AM
I have never broken a cross in my life. Always mains. Every picture I have seen break is a main. I cannot image why a cross could break first, unless you are playing with a soft cross string.

OleNole
09-11-2008, 01:03 PM
I have never broken a cross in my life. Always mains. Every picture I have seen break is a main. I cannot image why a cross could break first, unless you are playing with a soft cross string.

Agreed. I've never seen broken crosses unless it was in a hybrid with poly in the mains. I use different setups for different racquets, one all syn gut the other a hybrid w/poly mains syn gut crosses. I break strings all the time and I've only broken a cross once-usually the poly goes dead before the crosses break.
I've also personally never broken a poly string, so maybe I just don't hit hard enough.

baek57
09-11-2008, 01:15 PM
i always break mains in a full job. i've only broken crosses on hybrids.

jmverdugo
09-11-2008, 01:23 PM
In my experience,

Full job of synth or poly, always main first
Full Job of multi, crosses first

Hybrid of poly mains and multi crosses, crosses brakes first.
Hybrid of poly and synth, mains first.

nCode747
09-11-2008, 01:53 PM
i break mains first. so do most people. this is why people go hybird. it will extend the life of your string. (be sure to put the poly as your mains)

fastdunn
09-11-2008, 03:25 PM

Same here. Always mains no matter what I play with. Almost always slightly above the center of the head.

wao
09-11-2008, 04:06 PM
With so many players using hybrids these days, its tough to say. Poly mains with syn. or multi crosses--usually the cross breaks first.

Often, with only a multi, the cross with fray and break first. Others, I've found that the mains usually break first.Absolutely agree, I break my crosses at about the same time the poly goes dead. Between 6-12hrs of playing time.

ATIRagePro
09-12-2008, 11:00 AM
For me, whenever I use a hybrid I always break the crosses first. On a full bed of a string I usually always break the mains.

rasajadad
09-12-2008, 11:03 AM
In a regular full job, I'll always break the mains first. However, in a hybrid, I have broken crosses first (gut mains with X-1 Bi phase crosses, e.g.)

2nd_Serve
09-12-2008, 10:27 PM
I usually break right in the center mains.