PDA

View Full Version : What cross strings to hybrid with Babolat VS 17 in the mains??

SamprasGoat
09-11-2008, 09:12 AM
I tried Luxilon Alu Power Rough on the crosses @58 lbs with Babolat VS on the mains @ 60lbs. Extremely sweet setup but Luxilon does not hold tension well. Any recommendations for other hybrids??

Rabbit
09-11-2008, 09:22 AM
Try PSG without Duraflex.

Steve Huff
09-11-2008, 11:06 AM
It kind of depends on the feel you want. Some that I have liked are:
For a soft feel, try:
Head Fibergel Power 16, ProSupex Maxim Touch 16, Alpha Prodigy or Sphere

For a little firmer feel, I like:
Klip Poly Force X 17, Head Sonic Pro 17, Signum Poly Pro Plasma 1.28, Pro Supex Big Ace 17 (I string these strings 5# lower than the gut)

Just to save some money and get a good, almost gut feel, I've use several synthetic guts:
PSGD, Gosen OG Micro, Wilson Stamina, Alpha Tenacity (I string these about 3# lower than the gut)

There are as many combo's as there are players. These are just the ones I've tried that I felt were good.

SamprasGoat
09-11-2008, 11:16 AM
It kind of depends on the feel you want. Some that I have liked are:
For a soft feel, try:
Head Fibergel Power 16, ProSupex Maxim Touch 16, Alpha Prodigy or Sphere

For a little firmer feel, I like:
Klip Poly Force X 17, Head Sonic Pro 17, Signum Poly Pro Plasma 1.28, Pro Supex Big Ace 17 (I string these strings 5# lower than the gut)

Just to save some money and get a good, almost gut feel, I've use several synthetic guts:
PSGD, Gosen OG Micro, Wilson Stamina, Alpha Tenacity (I string these about 3# lower than the gut)

There are as many combo's as there are players. These are just the ones I've tried that I felt were good.

Which one gives a similar feel to Luxilon ALU power rough but maintains tension better?

Ljubicic for number1
09-11-2008, 02:56 PM
Which one gives a similar feel to Luxilon ALU power rough but maintains tension better?

I would give cyber flash a shot to replicate that set up. Or for a softer feel but even better tension maintenance cyber power.

jayserinos99
09-11-2008, 03:22 PM
Try PSG without Duraflex.

Funny you mentioned this, I just picked up a couple of TFight 315 VO2 Max strung with VS17 mains and PSG17 crosses at 55. I can't wait for them to come in!

TonyB
09-11-2008, 04:23 PM

People say that all polys lose tension quickly, but I think you'll find that using Silverstring as a cross doesn't affect the overall stringbed tension, even after 2 months of play.

I've been using a hybrid of Tonic+ mains and Silverstring crosses for almost a year now in a variety of racquets, from Fischer to Yonex to Wilson to Tecnifibre and every single racquet seems to play exactly the same regarding tension maintenance.

I've used ALU Power Rough as a cross with Tonic+ mains and I can honestly say that it very quickly (and suddenly) loses tension after about 2-3 weeks, turning into a trampoline. The same setup with Silverstring does NOT lose tension noticeably.

I've been able to play with the same stringbed for 2 months straight until the gut mains break without noticing any significant loss in performance due to the poly crosses. Fact is, the only difference I notice is that the stringbed seems a bit "deader", not as lively, requiring me to put in more effort in order to generate a lot of power. But it definitely doesn't LOSE tension that I can tell. For reference, I'm a 4.5 player with a fairly powerful ground game, so I'm not taking it easy on the strings.

Anyways, trust me when I say it's an incredible hybrid. You will not be disappointed.

rorschack
09-11-2008, 04:55 PM
People say that all polys lose tension quickly, but I think you'll find that using Silverstring as a cross doesn't affect the overall stringbed tension, even after 2 months of play.

I've been using a hybrid of Tonic+ mains and Silverstring crosses for almost a year now in a variety of racquets, from Fischer to Yonex to Wilson to Tecnifibre and every single racquet seems to play exactly the same regarding tension maintenance.

I've used ALU Power Rough as a cross with Tonic+ mains and I can honestly say that it very quickly (and suddenly) loses tension after about 2-3 weeks, turning into a trampoline. The same setup with Silverstring does NOT lose tension noticeably.

I've been able to play with the same stringbed for 2 months straight until the gut mains break without noticing any significant loss in performance due to the poly crosses. Fact is, the only difference I notice is that the stringbed seems a bit "deader", not as lively, requiring me to put in more effort in order to generate a lot of power. But it definitely doesn't LOSE tension that I can tell. For reference, I'm a 4.5 player with a fairly powerful ground game, so I'm not taking it easy on the strings.

Anyways, trust me when I say it's an incredible hybrid. You will not be disappointed.

I concur with TonyB! The best hybrid indeed!

I think the reason why this natty gut/poly hybrid lasts so long is because 1)when poly loses tension, it has deader feel 2)when natural gut loses tension it's more jumping >> therefore the effect cancel each other out and your string bed feels somewhat close to fresh which is not too dead or too jumping.

Also, when you put poly in the cross, I don't think it matters much which poly you put there because 1)the cross string is shorter and 2)the cross does not contribute a large percentage to string bed feel.

Of course, all of this is from experience, so take it with a grain of salt. :) I put cyberflash in the cross and just love how it stays crispy until the natty gut breaks. This setup last roughly about 15-20 hours or two months. I am 4.5-5.0 and hit with lots of topspin. Probably because I play with 18x20 stick. I've try a few other poly's (i.e. pacific poly force original and cyber blue) but could not feel much difference.