PDA

View Full Version : Indoor Court vs Outdoor Hardcourt

meowmix
09-11-2008, 01:19 PM
Not sure where this goes, but I guess it fits here... What's the difference? I'm usually an indoor player, and I was playing outdoor today. My timing was way off... Is there a difference in materials?

Spokewench
09-11-2008, 01:30 PM
I would think it would depend on the surfaces - but what I notice the most when I go outside after playing indoors is the wind/sun and all other type of outdoor distractions are what gets my game more than the speed of the court. Usually, the outdoor court is a little slower than the indoor, but not that much that it really hurts my timing

Dags
09-11-2008, 02:10 PM
I've been playing indoors this year (just as well given the Great British weather...), and find it quite different. The indoor courts are carpet, and are noticeably quicker than the outdoor courts I play on. However, like Spokewench, I had more of an issue with the change in surroundings. Sun and wind were the obvious ones, but little things like not having a net between the courts to segregate them were freaking me out a bit. I also played at one club in the middle of London, and the court was practically in the garden of the surrounding houses; despite being outside, it felt claustrophobic.

I guess the best thing to do would be to try to mix up your surfaces so that you don't get too familiar with any one, but that's easier said than done when it's raining the whole time...

Tallahassee_Technifibre
09-11-2008, 02:26 PM
I have never played on an indoor court before. I bet it is like an adventure...

T1000
09-11-2008, 03:45 PM
Indoor the conditions are almost always the same. There is no wind to affect the ball. Also, indoor temperatures can be monitored so it might be more comfortable to play inside then outside. The indoor courts tend to be a little bit quicker.

meowmix
09-11-2008, 03:50 PM
^I got most of that. Actually, the wind and the sun don't actually bother me too much. I guess I kind of ignore it to the best of my abilities. What threw me off was the timing. I was able to adjust by the end of the hitting session, but at the beginning, I was shanking left and right.

I guess my main question is, what are the materials used in these courts and how do they affect speed?

Tallahassee_Technifibre
09-11-2008, 05:41 PM
I also heard it is really loud in the indoor courts is that true??

Charlie_Boy
09-11-2008, 06:16 PM
I also heard it is really loud in the indoor courts is that true??

Only because of the echoing effect really.

The transition from outdoor to indoor is VERY easy, and helpful to your game even.

But indoor to outdoor is awkward because you're dealing with things such as the sun or the wind.

meowmix
09-11-2008, 06:30 PM
Charlie boy, why do you say that it's helpful to your game to transition from outdoors to indoors? Just curious, since I've never heard that before.

north4t
09-11-2008, 08:42 PM
The reason that indoor courts seem faster is that the flourescent lights actually flicker so fast that your eyes are actually catching glimpses of the ball as it is coming toward you but it is so fast that you don't really notice it when you are looking at it. Outdoors the son doesn't have that effect on the ball. Atleast that is what an older person told me

north4t
09-11-2008, 08:45 PM
Charlie boy, why do you say that it's helpful to your game to transition from outdoors to indoors? Just curious, since I've never heard that before.he is probably saying that because the feeling of indoor courts is much faster so it makes your footwork faster and gets your timing down

dman72
09-12-2008, 04:26 AM
Indoor hard courts where I play are much SLOWER than outdoor, because they are usually cushioned tennis surfaces like deco-turf (US open courts are this surface), nova-cushion which have ITF speed ratings of 3-4. Of course if they are green clay they are even slower. Most outdoor courts here are smooth painted asphalt, which is much faster. Keep in mind that no professional tournament I'm aware of is played on asphalt courts..which are the courts that most people in the US play recreational tennis outdoors on.

That's just the surface. Indoors, you can have lighting and depth perception issues based on the background, so maybe they SEEM faster, but if they are hard courts, they probably aren't.

d-quik
11-27-2008, 01:16 AM
he is probably saying that because the feeling of indoor courts is much faster so it makes your footwork faster and gets your timing downnot really it depends on your style

i play with an eastern grip and wreck people that normally would do to me outdoors. indoors i feel like i can camp back further and release penetrating strokes that stay nice and low. i can wait until the ball falls to a comfortable strike zone indoors. but if i camped back playing on a slow outdoor surface, the combination of loopy balls, short balls, flat balls, and an opponent destroying my shots on the rise undones me.

SaunderS
11-27-2008, 07:48 AM
Indoor are so much better IMO. Especially acrylic courts. one down-side is that returning a hard ball cab sometimes hit the roof! The echoing effect sounds like you hit it really hard though. i like it!:) As i said i like the acrylic, but playing outdoors, i play worse even on acrylic. And my other clubs outdoor courts arent acrylic, they're macadem(i think thats it. Like what you get on a running track.)

jim e
11-27-2008, 08:00 AM
The court surface is a little more softer in the indoor courts that I hit on, (it's like a rubberized surface), in comparison to outdoors.The outdoor harder surface, balls bounce a little higher, and I have to compensate somewhat by stepping back a little more than indoors.Then my timing is back. I am more use to indoor than the harder outdoor courts, as most of my hitting time is indoors.
This is how it effected me. I know it is not the flourescent lights that someone earlier stated, at least here, as they have mercury vapor lights. The actual court surface makes a difference.

ac3111
11-28-2008, 02:21 AM
I opened a similar thread in another forum. I have only experienced open court. In my country I doubt there are many indoors court mainly because of the good weather even during winter time.
My only experience of indoors courts is tennis matches I watch on my pc. And indoors atmosphere feels a bit fake to me, like it is another sport. Open courts have the disadvantage of weather variations etc but feels more vivid. Maybe it's because in my mind tennis is combined with grand slam events where tennis courts are open.

Element54
11-28-2008, 03:10 AM
The bounce is truer on indoor courts for me, since it's totally dry and free from weather effects.

I played an hour outdoor, and it rained the previous day. The ball bounce was low due to moisture on court (some) and air. When inside for the next hour, I was mistiming and hitting the ball late. I needed to get used to the court for about 10mins (also the sound is awesome since it echo's)

rafael17_13@hotmail.com
12-01-2008, 12:25 PM
for me indoor is better but gotten use to outdoor and in indoor i feel like i can move alittle faster a hit harder (maybe thats the court) but in outdoor you might feel the sun draining you