PDA

View Full Version : Help Stringing Natural Gut

gflyer
09-11-2008, 01:39 PM
Hi.
I've recently purchased a Klipper stringer.
I've strung 10-15 racquets and I feel comfortable with the stringing process.
It still takes time, but I get the job done.
So far I've only strung using poly, multi and synthetic gut.
I'd like to string my racquet with natural gut.
Is it more difficult? Do the strings break more easily?
Is there any trick I should know before trying ?
Thank you very much in advance.
G

nCode747
09-11-2008, 01:51 PM
when tieing a knot be sure not to pull too hard, it might break the string. also take your time.

diredesire
09-11-2008, 02:22 PM
Don't kink it, and watch when you're pulling through grommets. Basically avoid sharp bends at all costs. As the above poster stated, don't pull the knots too tight. They cinch up nicely anyways.

volusiano
09-11-2008, 02:40 PM
Didn't some people suggest to prestretch natural gut, too?

gflyer
09-11-2008, 02:56 PM
Didn't some people suggest to prestretch natural gut, too?

how do you prestretch?

tennisfreak15347
09-11-2008, 03:33 PM
how do you prestretch?

you take both halves of the string, secure it to a door knob of some sort, and lightly pull for 5 seconds. this reduces tension loss and reduces coil memory.

Daycrawler
09-11-2008, 03:38 PM
I STRESS THE VERY LIGHTLY PART. And my pro used to wax his grommet holes before stringing to reduce friction and the sharp edges.

diredesire
09-12-2008, 08:02 AM
Don't bother prestretching the gut, unless you are doing it strictly to make it "easier" to work with (less coil memory). It's not worth it, IMO.

AR15
09-12-2008, 08:08 AM
I've strung with gut on a similiar drop weight, and I didn't prestretch. what I did do was allow the drop weight to hang about 10-15 seconds on each pull.

rasajadad
09-12-2008, 08:17 AM
I always suggest to do a 2-piece when stringing gut AND to wax the mains before weaving the crosses.

volusiano
09-12-2008, 10:51 AM
I always suggest to do a 2-piece when stringing gut AND to wax the mains before weaving the crosses.

What's the advantage for doing a 2-piece in gut?

baek57
09-12-2008, 11:00 AM
i dont think its any more difficult to string gut. just make sure not to kink and your clamps are tight enough.

rasajadad
09-12-2008, 11:05 AM

As you're using a shorter piece there is less chance of kinking and less chance of something I think is called "warping" which is when the string twists and un wraps.

jim e
09-12-2008, 04:05 PM

With a 2 piece you are handeling a lot less of the string. As when stringing the mains, with 1 piece you have to deal with a longer piece of string to handle more on the long side. With 2 piece the cross strings are not even touched until you are ready to install them.
If you handle the string less, it will stay in better shape, as less wear and tear.

All it takes to pre stretch is a gentle pull for a short stretch, you will feel the string go limp, stop there and stringing will be much easier, as less coil memory.I usually just place one end in the machine clamp (I have heavy machine), walk back, and at the end just gently pull for a short amount, you will feel it stretch and go limp.(I usually pre stretch after I cut it, just don't forget to do both). Also put the pre packed string around your wrist, then cut the coil plastic tie, and let it unwind around your wrist, then less chance of getting it all twisted around, as you should handle it gently.