PDA

View Full Version : Klippermate: try on an old racket first?

GeoffB
09-11-2008, 03:23 PM
I have a new PDR and I popped a string today.

My brother gave me his old klippermate, and I'm all ready to give it a try. I was going to practice on an ancient Prince Graphite Mid that my brother uses as his third backup racket (it has lived a good life, but it's pretty much dead at this point, and doesn't really care what happens to it now). But then I popped a string on my Babolat, and I do want a new string job.

So... provided that I'm very careful, what do you think, can I start with the Babolat, or should I do this first on a racket I don't care very much about?

(or, I might just ask my brother to come over and show me how, he said he was willing to do that - in which case I might as well string the PDR).

tenisjugador
09-11-2008, 03:42 PM
Just make sure you mount the racket carefully. If you do, then you have no worries going right to the PDR. Quite frankly, mess-ups on your first string job, if any, will probably have to do with the strings, not the frame.

Nuke
09-11-2008, 04:51 PM
If you've got a spare racquet to practice on for your very first string job, I'd use that. If you're going to make a mistake, better to do it on a frame you don't care about.

x5150
09-11-2008, 04:58 PM
I have a klippermate, did my first string job on a pro staff original which used to be my fav racquet. I think the only way you could harm the racquet is if the racquet was on the floor and u dropped the stringer on the racquet :P

GeoffB
09-11-2008, 05:16 PM
Thanks for the replies. I think that I'll do the mount carefully, take my time, and do the PDR first.

By the way, any recommendations on strings? The store where I bought the PDR put in synthetic gut at 60lbs, and it has too much pop for me. Yeah, I wanted pop, that's why I bought the PDR, but it's already a powerful racket, so I figure a deader string would be good. I have access to some old Dunlop Comfort, could try that. Any other suggestions? Since I'm apparently more likely to damage the strings than the racket, maybe I'll just use the Dunlop Comfort, and just take it out if I don't like it.